THE BROWNS BOARD

Clevelanders Still Make Money From LeBron

Cowsrus

Hey, we're still looking pretty bad by ESPN showing people burning LeBron jerseys. I was hoping Clevelanders would restrain from giving ESPN and the rest of the country from saying derogitory things but they'll say them anyway. At the same time, there are plenty of people in the news and in sports in general that know what a joke the whole "Decision" show was. IMO, ESPN will come to regret it. What self respecting news establishment let the interviewee run the interview let alone fill it with his own commercials and give away the money even if it is to a great cause like The Boys and Girls Club. It made ESPN look pretty bad too.

Anyway, I just read this article. LeBron is gone and doesn't care about the money that he generated (and we have to admit it was a buttload) is now gone BUT some folks have found some ways to still make some money using his name. Hey, it's a free country! More power to 'em.

Heidi

Cleveland Businesses Turn LeBron Fury Into Cash

Contributor

AOL News (July 10) -- When LeBron James finally announced he was leaving Cleveland for Miami, many Cavalier fans were furious.

Now, some businesses in Cleveland are trying to turn that anger into money. And there's plenty of rage to go around.

In McNulty's Bier Markt in Ohio City, handing over a LeBron jersey got you a free beer Friday night, according to The Cleveland Plain Dealer. The bartenders shredded the jerseys on the spot with a pair of garden shears.

Mark Duncan, AP

Workmen remove a large mural of NBA basketball star LeBron James from a building in downtown Cleveland on Saturday. Some businesses are trying to turn the anger over the basketball star's leaving into money.

At Medina's Nifty Nerd computer services company, a LeBron jersey gets you a $23 credit for services. Owner Anton Gorkavchuk says he may send the shirts overseas "to people who don't know how badly he betrayed us." The Great Lakes Brewing Co., a Cleveland brewery, soon plans to put out a special bitter ale in honor of James --- called Quitness.

"Emotions are a very, very powerful force," Derek Rucker, a marketing professor at Northwestern University in Chicago, told The Cleveland Plain Dealer. "Anger is an approach-oriented emotion. It's about taking action, doing something."

The LeBron saga drew to a close on Thursday night when the player announced, live on ESPN, that he was joining Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, breaking the hearts of thousands of Cleveland fans.

Even more controversially, he shrugged off any suggestion that his decision would hurt the Cavalier faithful. In his words, basketball "is a business."

Still, not all businesses will gain equally. Chicago Tribune columnist Phil Rosenthal warned that LeBron's "nationally televised orgy of misjudgments" could hurt a lot of brands, including the player's.

"The fans may not get it?" Rosenthal wrote. "You know what those fans also may not get? The Big Macs and Nikes that James endorses.

"The NBA, too, may have a very deep PR hole from which to dig itself out."

http://www.aolnews.com/money/article/cleve...o-cash/19549261

"The Great Lakes Brewing Co., a Cleveland brewery, soon plans to put out a special bitter ale in honor of James --- called Quitness."

Love it! If they do make this, I am getting a six pack and leaving it above the fireplace.

a few of the hosts on wknr said that nike is pissed at letraitor for doing what he did. it's a pr nightmare. i bet lehypocrite's godzilla sized ego prevented him from seeing the disasterous fallout and backlash from his selfish actions. i can't wait to see what happens when his punk ass comes back home. he can't party in miaimi all summer long.

Actually, he could stay and party in Miami quite some time if he wanted, he's quite wealthy. Also, he is not unpopular in Akron, especially among the younger Blacks. They look upon it as no big deal. So I don't think it will have any effect on his living where he is now or not. He will still be a hero to many from his hometown. They interviewed some people there, and many of the young ones said they would now be Miami Heat fans! No such thing as team loyalty I guess.

Actually, he could stay and party in Miami quite some time if he wanted, he's quite wealthy. Also, he is not unpopular in Akron, especially among the younger Blacks. They look upon it as no big deal. So I don't think it will have any effect on his living where he is now or not. He will still be a hero to many from his hometown. They interviewed some people there, and many of the young ones said they would now be Miami Heat fans! No such thing as team loyalty I guess.

Then they should all take their asses to Miami! I don't give a s*** what color Lebron is. He embarrassed NE Ohio on a national level with his joke of a press conference! Why anyone in Cleveland or Akron would look up to him is beyond me? :angry:

Archived