Talking DL

ballpeen

http://cle.scout.com/2/983266.html

Depth a Question on Browns DL

DE Kenyon Coleman

By Fred Greetham

OBR Browns Reporter

Posted Jul 11, 2010

There's no shortage of experience among the starters, but defensive line depth is a concern. Fred Greetham continues his look at the Browns roster heading into training camp by examining the DL...

BEREA—Uncertainty on the defensive line abounds as the Browns prepare for training camp in a strange way: Two of the three projected starters on the defensive line are awaiting gun related chargers for attempting to board airplanes with loaded guns in their carry-on luggage.

Both Shaun Rogers and Robaire Smith were charged in separate incidents and there has been no ruling from the NFL, regarding whether one or both will be suspended for any games this season.

That leaves the Browns in a precarious position as they try to decide who to keep for this season.

Aside from the legal issues, the Browns starters on the defensive line have 30 years of experience between them. Smith is entering his 11th season, while Rogers his 10th. Kenyon Coleman is preparing for his ninth NFL season.

After the aforementioned trio, the Browns are trying to determine who the rest of the group will be. Ahtyba Rubin played extremely well when Rogers broke his leg last season and the Browns have talked about moving Rogers to end in some situations.

Brian Schaefering also took advantage of an opportunity late in the season and could push for playing time. C. J. Mosley came over as an unrestricted free agent in 2009 from the Jets, along with Coleman, and he played well until ending up on injured reserve with an injury.

Beyond the veteran group, Cliff Geathers was drafted in the sixth-round. He is a raw physical specimen, who has the bloodlines to make an impact, but it is hard to count on him immediately as a rookie.

Rogers and Mosley are trying to return from injuries, while several of the young players are trying to show that they can be productive players in the NFL. With the uncertainty of Smith and Rogers’ possible suspensions, it is imperative the Browns are able to find capable players to step in.

Here are the candidates for the defensive line as the Browns prepare for training camp.

Robaire Smith (6-5, 310) – Smith started 15 games with 62 tackles, fifth on the team. He added 1.5 sacks. Smith had 12 tackles against Green Bay on Oct. 25. Smith has played with the Titans, Texans before joining the Browns as an unrestricted free agent in 2007.

Kenyon Coleman (6-5, 295) – Coleman started 13 games in 2009 with 38 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Coleman played with the Raiders, Cowboys and Jets before joining the Browns. His best season was 2007 when he had 90 tackles. In 2006, he had four sacks with the Cowboys.

Shaun Rogers (6-4, 350) – Rogers played 11 games before suffering a season-ending broken leg. He finished with 36 tackles and two sacks. After his first seven seasons with the Lions, Rogers came over in a trade for Leigh Bodden and is entering his third season with the Browns. He has 556 career tackles with 36 sacks. He has 13 career blocked field goals and three career blocked PATs.

C.J. Mosley (6-3, 305) – Mosley played in the first 12 games before suffering an ankle injury and being placed on injured reserve. He had 18 tackles, including seven against the Bills on Oct. 11. He came over to the Browns as an unrestricted free agent in 2009. He is entering his sixth NFL season.

Ahtyba Rubin (6-2, 330) – Rubin could be one of the rising stars on the Browns defensive line heading into his third season after being a sixth-round draft choice in the 2008 season. He played in all 16 games with five starts. He finished the season with 38 tackles and a forced fumble. Rubin started the final five games after stepping in for Rogers when he broke his leg.

Brian Schaefering (6-4, 295) – Schaefering was with the Browns in 2008 and joined the Jets in 2009. The Browns re-signed him to the practice squad on Sept. 7, 2009 and he was promoted to the active roster on Dec. 2. He played in five games with one start. He finished with 12 tackles with 1.5 sacks.

Keith Grennan (6-4, 298) – Grennan was signed as a free agent in 2009 and ended up on the practice squad injured reserve.

Titus Adams (6-4, 305) – Adams was drafted by the Jets in 2006 and spent the 2008 and 2009 with the Patriots. The Browns claimed him off of waivers on Jan. 1, 2010.

Derreck Robinson (6-4, 295) – Robinson signed in Dec. 2009 and played in three games. He has appeared in 25 games in his career with the Chargers and Dolphins.

Cliff Geathers (6-7, 300) – Geathers was drafted in the sixth-round from South Carolina. Geathers’ brother plays with the Bengals. His father and uncle, Jumpy both played in the NFL.

Martin Tevaseu (6-1, 310) – Tevaseu is a rookie undrafted free agent from UNLV.

Brian Sanford (6-2, 280) – An undrafted rookie free agent from Temple.

Kwaku Danso (6-5, 336) – One of the more interesting stories of training camp as he is a 28 year old rookie from East Carolina. Danso is a native of Ghana and has just played football for a few years.

Swanson Miller (6-4, 310) -- Miller is an undrafted free agent from Oklahoma State and would be a long shot to make the final roster.

Jonathan Lewis (6-0, 305) – Lewis was on the practice squad in 2009 after being signed as a free agent from Virginia Tech.

It is pretty sketchy at best.

It will be a big plus if a guy like Schafering can step up and one of the younger guys like Geathers moves in to Schaferings role and then steps up.

That's the problem when you have been relying on late round picks and FA to stock the unit, you end up needing a lot of hope.

We have a lot of waiver wire and practice squad guys (plus some that feel the need to carry hand guns on airplanes). This group and our WR corp make up our biggest question marks.

Yes, I was just thinking that of all the units on the Browns: OL unit, WR/TE unit, RB/FB/QB unit, DL unit, LB unit, DB unit

this DL unit may in fact be the most unstable. With the WR/TE you know who you are gonna have. At DL we don't even know who we may have available to play!

I've come to the conclusion that our defense will be in the bottom of all statistical categories yet again, but will preform well enough not to be a liability. Does that make sense? I kno it sounds contradictory, but think of the last few years -- we can't stop anyone until we need to, coming up with big stops on 3rd and 4th downs, but letting anyone destroy us on 1st and 2nd downs constantly. I anticipate more of the same, with slightly better pass protection than we've seen in the last few years.

I've come to the conclusion that our defense will be in the bottom of all statistical categories yet again, but will preform well enough not to be a liability. Does that make sense? I kno it sounds contradictory, but think of the last few years -- we can't stop anyone until we need to, coming up with big stops on 3rd and 4th downs, but letting anyone destroy us on 1st and 2nd downs constantly. I anticipate more of the same, with slightly better pass protection than we've seen in the last few years.

If were pass protecting on defense were in alot of trouble...haha

Does that make sense?

Sure it does.

You know what they say about 3-4 linemen....they don't need to be great, just take space..though I don't know that i agree with that.

We do however need to keep in mind that sacks, which usually dictate how strong a DL is viewed, isn't something 3-4 linemen get a whole bunch of.

It's important for Robaire Smith to come back and have a solid season....that and whoever ends up as starters end up playing full seasons and don't miss extended time with injury.

If your starting unit is questionable, your back-up situation can't be very good.

Not to be contrary, but I don't agree with any of this. I think our DL personnel is HIGHLY underrated.

Forget the possible suspensions for a beat, because they won't last very long. Neither seemed to include any malicious intent.

Robaire Smith is a terrific 3-4 DE, especially the way the Browns (and Jets) play it, preferring bigger guys who occupy blockers and stuff the run. Kenyon Coleman led ALL 3-4 DEs with 90 tackles just a couple years ago. Shaun Rogers is a superstar, although an undisciplined one, and I think he's an ideal 3-4 DE in our system.

Those are the veterans. Now: Rubin looked every inch the rising 3-4 NT star late last year. I'd start him from day one and never look back. C.J. Mosley was not as good as we hoped for last year, but I know Mangini loves him and expects him to be a very solid and versatile rotation player. Brian Schaefering's rise late last year got lost in the Roth/Rubin of it all, but he was really good. He's a keeper, and a guy who brings some more quicks to the outside.

And the early returns on Geathers have been good. Physically, he's a crazy-ass specimen. He'll get shot, but more likely he'll have a year to learn because I say we DO have depth on the DL.

I think we're going to field a very good defense next year, maybe one that's a serious impact athlete at linebacker from being an annual Top 10 unit.

Not to be contrary, but I don't agree with any of this. I think our DL personnel is HIGHLY underrated.

Forget the possible suspensions for a beat, because they won't last very long. Neither seemed to include any malicious intent.

Robaire Smith is a terrific 3-4 DE, especially the way the Browns (and Jets) play it, preferring bigger guys who occupy blockers and stuff the run. Kenyon Coleman led ALL 3-4 DEs with 90 tackles just a couple years ago. Shaun Rogers is a superstar, although an undisciplined one, and I think he's an ideal 3-4 DE in our system.

Those are the veterans. Now: Rubin looked every inch the rising 3-4 NT star late last year. I'd start him from day one and never look back. C.J. Mosley was not as good as we hoped for last year, but I know Mangini loves him and expects him to be a very solid and versatile rotation player. Brian Schaefering's rise late last year got lost in the Roth/Rubin of it all, but he was really good. He's a keeper, and a guy who brings some more quicks to the outside.

And the early returns on Geathers have been good. Physically, he's a crazy-ass specimen. He'll get shot, but more likely he'll have a year to learn because I say we DO have depth on the DL.

I think we're going to field a very good defense next year, maybe one that's a serious impact athlete at linebacker from being an annual Top 10 unit.

Well, here's hoping you are right.

Rogers is not a DE....maybe on 3rd and long, for one play, but he doesn't have that much gas. he's a 2 down linemen as is, and lengthening his distance to the QB will only require more rest for the big man.

2009 Browns tied 14th in team opponent red zone scores.....definitely a stat to hang your hat on

I couldn't agree with you more. Great post!

You are just saying that to be contrary. Unless we draft a QB, RB, and WR in the first 3 rounds you aren't happy. Draft a Joe Thomas.....forget that.

;)

Just kidding buddy.....I don't really disagree...I have hope our DL will at least hold up to a respectable level if not better.....I agree...as i said....Smith is a big key at this point.

Browns waived DE Keith Grennan. Undrafted out of Eastern Washington

Posted: 2 hrs 49 mins ago. | Source rotoworld.com

Browns waived DE Keith Grennan. Undrafted out of Eastern Washington in 2007, Grennan spent time on the Browns' practice the past two seasons. His season ended last November after he ruptured his patellar tendon, reportedly during one of the post-practice "opportunity drills" that earned coach Eric Mangini extra scrutiny during the season. [...]

http://cle.scout.com/2/983266.html

Depth a Question on Browns DL

DE Kenyon Coleman

By Fred Greetham

OBR Browns Reporter

Posted Jul 11, 2010

There's no shortage of experience among the starters, but defensive line depth is a concern. Fred Greetham continues his look at the Browns roster heading into training camp by examining the DL...

BEREA—Uncertainty on the defensive line abounds as the Browns prepare for training camp in a strange way: Two of the three projected starters on the defensive line are awaiting gun related chargers for attempting to board airplanes with loaded guns in their carry-on luggage.

Both Shaun Rogers and Robaire Smith were charged in separate incidents and there has been no ruling from the NFL, regarding whether one or both will be suspended for any games this season.

That leaves the Browns in a precarious position as they try to decide who to keep for this season.

Aside from the legal issues, the Browns starters on the defensive line have 30 years of experience between them. Smith is entering his 11th season, while Rogers his 10th. Kenyon Coleman is preparing for his ninth NFL season.

After the aforementioned trio, the Browns are trying to determine who the rest of the group will be. Ahtyba Rubin played extremely well when Rogers broke his leg last season and the Browns have talked about moving Rogers to end in some situations.

Brian Schaefering also took advantage of an opportunity late in the season and could push for playing time. C. J. Mosley came over as an unrestricted free agent in 2009 from the Jets, along with Coleman, and he played well until ending up on injured reserve with an injury.

Beyond the veteran group, Cliff Geathers was drafted in the sixth-round. He is a raw physical specimen, who has the bloodlines to make an impact, but it is hard to count on him immediately as a rookie.

Rogers and Mosley are trying to return from injuries, while several of the young players are trying to show that they can be productive players in the NFL. With the uncertainty of Smith and Rogers’ possible suspensions, it is imperative the Browns are able to find capable players to step in.

Here are the candidates for the defensive line as the Browns prepare for training camp.

Robaire Smith (6-5, 310) – Smith started 15 games with 62 tackles, fifth on the team. He added 1.5 sacks. Smith had 12 tackles against Green Bay on Oct. 25. Smith has played with the Titans, Texans before joining the Browns as an unrestricted free agent in 2007.

Kenyon Coleman (6-5, 295) – Coleman started 13 games in 2009 with 38 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Coleman played with the Raiders, Cowboys and Jets before joining the Browns. His best season was 2007 when he had 90 tackles. In 2006, he had four sacks with the Cowboys.

Shaun Rogers (6-4, 350) – Rogers played 11 games before suffering a season-ending broken leg. He finished with 36 tackles and two sacks. After his first seven seasons with the Lions, Rogers came over in a trade for Leigh Bodden and is entering his third season with the Browns. He has 556 career tackles with 36 sacks. He has 13 career blocked field goals and three career blocked PATs.

C.J. Mosley (6-3, 305) – Mosley played in the first 12 games before suffering an ankle injury and being placed on injured reserve. He had 18 tackles, including seven against the Bills on Oct. 11. He came over to the Browns as an unrestricted free agent in 2009. He is entering his sixth NFL season.

Ahtyba Rubin (6-2, 330) – Rubin could be one of the rising stars on the Browns defensive line heading into his third season after being a sixth-round draft choice in the 2008 season. He played in all 16 games with five starts. He finished the season with 38 tackles and a forced fumble. Rubin started the final five games after stepping in for Rogers when he broke his leg.

Brian Schaefering (6-4, 295) – Schaefering was with the Browns in 2008 and joined the Jets in 2009. The Browns re-signed him to the practice squad on Sept. 7, 2009 and he was promoted to the active roster on Dec. 2. He played in five games with one start. He finished with 12 tackles with 1.5 sacks.

Keith Grennan (6-4, 298) – Grennan was signed as a free agent in 2009 and ended up on the practice squad injured reserve.

Titus Adams (6-4, 305) – Adams was drafted by the Jets in 2006 and spent the 2008 and 2009 with the Patriots. The Browns claimed him off of waivers on Jan. 1, 2010.

Derreck Robinson (6-4, 295) – Robinson signed in Dec. 2009 and played in three games. He has appeared in 25 games in his career with the Chargers and Dolphins.

Cliff Geathers (6-7, 300) – Geathers was drafted in the sixth-round from South Carolina. Geathers’ brother plays with the Bengals. His father and uncle, Jumpy both played in the NFL.

Martin Tevaseu (6-1, 310) – Tevaseu is a rookie undrafted free agent from UNLV.

Brian Sanford (6-2, 280) – An undrafted rookie free agent from Temple.

Kwaku Danso (6-5, 336) – One of the more interesting stories of training camp as he is a 28 year old rookie from East Carolina. Danso is a native of Ghana and has just played football for a few years.

Swanson Miller (6-4, 310) -- Miller is an undrafted free agent from Oklahoma State and would be a long shot to make the final roster.

Jonathan Lewis (6-0, 305) – Lewis was on the practice squad in 2009 after being signed as a free agent from Virginia Tech.

its an easy thing the 3-4 get really really good linebackers and suddenly your D-line isn't as bad as it looks on paper.

its an easy thing the 3-4 get really really good linebackers and suddenly your D-line isn't as bad as it looks on paper.

No doubt. The 3-4 really isn't a D where the line makes a whole lot of plays....the backers do. So if they aren't making plays behind the line, the line gets the rap as well, even if they are holding up and doing their part.

That isn't to say the line can just flat out suck, making it very hard for the backers, but in our case I think the backers of the recent past haven't been up to a good standard.

I guess what I am saying is I think the line is decent enough to hold up their end of the bargain more often than not.

"As I knock on wood"

Rogers is not a DE....maybe on 3rd and long, for one play, but he doesn't have that much gas. he's a 2 down linemen as is, and lengthening his distance to the QB will only require more rest for the big man.

I disagree that Rodgers is a 2 down DL . He is very definitely better than that , and will be more suited to running stunts than eating up O-Linemen . Have you ever see him in trajectory unabated to the QB . ???

Archived