THE BROWNS BOARD

Supplemental draft is too risky

JSherm55

Is it me or does it seem like many guys in the supplemental draft have character issues than just a simple running out of eligibility? Going over this list of some guys that have been picked, some of the players have issues. I personally don't understand why the price for a supplemental pick is so steep.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/2010/07/top-1...t-baggage-ever/

Bernie Kosar didn't have character issues.

The guy the Cowboys picked, Joshua Price-Brent, has major character/work ethic issues. However, all RB/FB Harvey Unga did was get his girlfriend pregnant, which isn't kosher at a Mormon school.

no worries here, i trust H3 & EM's ability to sift through the apple crate and find some possibilities that meet the core characteristics.

now if they didn't have that philosophy in place it's another situation entirely and i'd agree about the risk...about like the old "cross-your-fingers-and-hope" style of Phillip Savage.

Is it me or does it seem like many guys in the supplemental draft have character issues than just a simple running out of eligibility? Going over this list of some guys that have been picked, some of the players have issues. I personally don't understand why the price for a supplemental pick is so steep.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/2010/07/top-1...t-baggage-ever/

Where is the risk? If they're head cases you cut them plain and simple. It's also not new that a good number of the guys in the supplemental draft are A. running out of time and B. Have character issues. The last big one I remember was Paul Oliver. (Head case)

Browns won the lottery today and get the first pick of every round in the sup draft... so if they see someone they want, they can take him. I think Unger (BYU RB) is the wrong position, but there's a DT a lot of people like.

It doesn't work like that. You submit a pick for the guy....if you like a guy, you say I will give a 4th round pick. If you are the high bidder, you gain his rights and forfeit that pick in next years regular draft.

That's my understanding of how it works.

It doesn't work like that. You submit a pick for the guy....if you like a guy, you say I will give a 4th round pick. If you are the high bidder, you gain his rights and forfeit that pick in next years regular draft.

That's my understanding of how it works.

There's still an order in which you pick, if there wasnt and 5 teams bid a 6th rd. pick on the same guy how would they decide who gets him.

There's still an order in which you pick, if there wasnt and 5 teams bid a 6th rd. pick on the same guy how would they decide who gets him.

Fair enough....all I am saying is it isn't like the normal draft.

Thanks for the clarification, Ballpeen. I was always a little hazy about how the thing worked--I had this vision of team representatives having to do some kind of conference call with the league, which went round-by-round asking if anyone wanted to take a player. Your way makes a lot more sense.

Dennis

Archived