THE BROWNS BOARD

Indians and Kerry Wood close to agreement

DieselPusher

Saw that the Indians and Kerry Wood are close to an agreement. Report via ESPN

Depending on the cash, seems like a smart move.

From Castrovince

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/

Talks with Wood gaining momentum

Well, things happen fast around here. Now I'm hearing the Indians might actually be close to landing Kerry Wood with a two-year contract. The length of the Tribe's offer is unconfirmed -- and the money is a question mark, as well -- but I do know there is some definite momentum right now with Wood and the Tribe.

Wood went 5-4 with a 3.26 ERA and 34 saves in 65 appearances for the Cubs last season. He struck out 84 batters and walked 18 in 66 1/3 innings. Wood has a long history of arm troubles that subsided when the Cubs moved him to the bullpen permanently in 2007.

If the Indians sign Wood, they would move youngster Jensen Lewis, who saved 13 games down the stretch in '08, back to a setup role.

Be sure to check out Indians.com throughout the day as this story develops.

UPDATE: One thing worth mentioning here. Wood is a Type A free agent, but the Indians wouldn't lose any Draft picks if they signed him, because the Cubs didn't offer him salary arbitration. I've heard the Cubs didn't offer arbitration because Wood, who really wanted to stay in Chicago, indicated that he might accept it.

From Castrovince

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/

Talks with Wood gaining momentum

Well, things happen fast around here. Now I'm hearing the Indians might actually be close to landing Kerry Wood with a two-year contract. The length of the Tribe's offer is unconfirmed -- and the money is a question mark, as well -- but I do know there is some definite momentum right now with Wood and the Tribe.

Wood went 5-4 with a 3.26 ERA and 34 saves in 65 appearances for the Cubs last season. He struck out 84 batters and walked 18 in 66 1/3 innings. Wood has a long history of arm troubles that subsided when the Cubs moved him to the bullpen permanently in 2007.

If the Indians sign Wood, they would move youngster Jensen Lewis, who saved 13 games down the stretch in '08, back to a setup role.

Be sure to check out Indians.com throughout the day as this story develops.

UPDATE: One thing worth mentioning here. Wood is a Type A free agent, but the Indians wouldn't lose any Draft picks if they signed him, because the Cubs didn't offer him salary arbitration. I've heard the Cubs didn't offer arbitration because Wood, who really wanted to stay in Chicago, indicated that he might accept it.

Normally I complain about the Indians shopping at Wal-Mart when everyone else is shopping at Saks but I actually like this move. Should be pretty solid at the back end of the bullpen at a decent price. I personally would rather see Wood over T. Hoffman.

Hoffman's best pitch is a changeup. He makes Boroski look fast. At the end of last season Wood was still getting it up in the high 90's and also has a great slider. His only downside may be that you might have to watch his innings, but we also have Perez and Lewis if we need a closer more then two days in a row.

Wood could be a great pickup for the indians.

Hoffman's best pitch is a changeup.

You've mentioned this a couple of times. I can understand "hating" a closer who has a change-up as his best pitch, but Hoffman? Man, that deceptive bitch of a pitch is driving him to Cooperstown. Still looks just like a fastball (same plane, same arm speed) and brings hitters to tears. His peripherals last year were pretty terrific and his groundball rate (39%) was perfectly reasonable. Obviously, the more his velocity drops (not that he's touched 85 much in the past several years), the more its effects diminish. However, I don't look at it as a negative that his best pitch is a change-up.

That said, I'm happier with this guy!

Wood set to take physical for Indians

If exam is passed, closer expected to sign two-year contract

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

LAS VEGAS -- Kerry Wood is en route to Cleveland, with a planned arrival on Wednesday night and a planned physical on Thursday.

Should Wood pass the physical, it is expected that he will sign a two-year contract with the Indians worth just under $20 million. It is believed the contract will include an option for a third year, though it was not clear whether that option would be a club option, player option or vesting option.

The Indians are cautiously optimistic that the deal will get done, but they also know these things can fall apart in a hurry. Passing their physical is no easy task, and it's no secret Wood has had more than his share of injury woes over the years.

Knowing that a deal is never done until it's done, the Indians continue to show an interest in Mariners closer J.J. Putz, who is available on the trade front.

Should the Wood deal be completed, as expected, the 31-year-old Wood would take over the club's closing duties from Jensen Lewis. Wood went 5-4 with a 3.26 ERA and 34 saves in 40 chances over 65 appearances for the Cubs last season, striking out 84 batters and walking 18 in 66 1/3 innings.

Wood has a long list of past medical problems. His right elbow required Tommy John ligament replacement surgery in 1999, and he had right shoulder surgery performed in 2005. His health has stabilized since a '07 move to relief work. He went on the 15-day disabled list in '08 -- his first season as a closer -- but that was with a blister on his finger, not an arm injury.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

Beanpot

Archived