THE BROWNS BOARD

Three Player's Who Could Surprise

Cleveland Browns Predictions: Three Players Who Could Surprise in 2010

By gary wertman (Correspondent) on July 18, 2010

When people think of the Cleveland Browns, players who come to mind are Josh Cribbs and Joe Thomas. Both players have been to multiple pro bowls. There’s no denying the value of Thomas and Cribbs to the Browns.

Most Browns’ fans are expecting big things from Jerome Harrison, Mohamed Massaquoi, Shaun Rogers, Eric Wright, Sheldon Brown and as well as rookies Joe Haden and Montario Hardesty. Last years first round pick, center Alex Mack, is also being counted heavily on in his second season.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme and tight end Ben Watson will both be in their first season with the Browns and much is expected from them.

Linebackers Scott Fujita and Chris Gocong should both be solid additions as well.

Much is already known about who the team’s key players should be but what about the others. It is those players, the ones who are under the radar, that could be the difference between Cleveland finishing 5-11 or being a good team.

Three players who could be pleasant surprises this year are:

James Davis , running back. Davis was on the verge of some major playing time last year before his rookie season got wiped out due to an injury.

All the talk has been about James Harrison and rookie Montario Hardesty. Which one will be the starter. How many carries will they both get.

In an offense sure to rely heavily on their ground game, Davis has the size, vision, quickness and power to be a force on this year’s team. Davis can also catch the ball as well. Last year he was the Browns’ best back in the preseason. Keep an eye on him. Davis could end up making it a threesome at running back.

Tennessee%20Titans%20v%20Cleveland%20Browns%209pLQyJCvxpbl.jpg

Ahtyba Rubin , nose tackle. Athletically he’s no Shaun Rogers but technically he’s a better nose tackle. Last year when Rubin took over due to Rogers’ season ending injury, the defense improved. Rubin knows what’s expected of him at the position.

Rubin was extremely solid in his play last year and just might be a star on the rise. He may not rack up a lot of stats but Rubin’s solid play will allow others to do so.

-059de55f74baf1db_custom_665xauto.jpg

Evan Moore , tight end. At 6-6, Moore has both great size and great hands. This off season Cleveland signed former New England Patriots tight end, Ben Watson. Watson is a proven veteran and should be the starter for the Browns.

In what should be a ball control offense run by the Browns this year, I expect to see both Moore and Watson on the field a lot together. Moore can also line up at wide receiver, which creates a huge miss match for the defense. Look for Moore to be a favorite third down target of Delhomme’s this season.

-cd55b122ff6dfd6e_custom_665xauto.jpg

i really hope davis can show us something. there've been glimpses of his talent here and there but i think we need him to fill a position to be 3 deep and strong at RB. i really, really think that we are going to do a little better than "ball control" this year.

Harrison is going to be okay by virtue of his last four games. Hardesty will be okay (at least for this year) because of his draft situation. Hillis has a four or five game history in 2008 with Denver. His best running game (more than 100 yards with an average of more than 5 yards) came against Mangini's Jets, and I don't think it was an accident that he got "thrown in" when Mangini got the chance to get him in the Quinn deal.

Davis will sure have his work cut out. If Mangini doesn't want to keep them all, maybe the one he picks can be traded for somebody helpful. I'm not even going to get into which one that might be.

When looking at a trade, you have to consider Hardesty won't be traded, Davis can't really be traded for anything. Hillis might have some value, but not much.

The only RBs that have any trade value are Harrison and Vickers.

My guess is if Hillis shows he can be a good lead blocker to go along with his ability to run and catch, Vickers is the one who would be put on the block.

Vickers would also bring the most in return, be it a player or a future draft pick.

Yeah....keep an eye on how well Hillis blocks.

Otherwise, Davis probably gets cut as the odd man out.

I think harrison is the odd man out....he's the only one dimensional back on the roster.

It would take Davis to emerge,,,,but it could be that as well.

He would hold some trade value as said earlier.

I am just a bit concerned that Davis won't get much of a shot with all of the additions.

I dig all three of those guys. I think Moore is actually one of our huge X factors between a 6-10 season and a 9-7 season. I love the idea of treating him more like a Dallas Clark type, putting him in the slot and creating big mismatches. I loved what I saw from him last year.

And Rubin... I actually wouldn't even have him on this list. I already have big expectations of him.

I think harrison is the odd man out....he's the only one dimensional back on the roster.

if he hadn't led the league in rushing the last 4 weeks of the season i would agree with you. i just don't think you can let a guy go who showed you what he did. alot of people say that running backs are a dime a dozen and you can find one on any corner in america.............bullshit.

Agreed, 'Peen. I've been comparing him to Joe J. a lot. He's something of a hybrid guy, as much big WR as small TE. If you think of him that way, you get over that pesky blocking issue.

I agree.

My attitude on that is if you want blocking, just stick a back-up tackle out there. St. Claire can probably catch passes as well as some of the stiff TE's we lined up because they could block.

If the position is a position where running the ball, catching the ball, and scoring points is a realistic possibility, I want the ability to run and catch to supersede any blocking ability as much as I don't give a shit if Joe Thomas can catch passes or spin move his way out of a defenders grasp.

St Claire has better hands than Robert "Stone Hands" Royal. We cut his ass yet?

That's my point. If they can't catch, might as well put a better blocker on the line....or....forget blocking and put a real receiver in there.

Ozzie wasn't a good blocker....he got in the way when he wasn't the first or second option on darn near every passing play.

Moore can catch and is athletic...he was Mr Football and basketball in Cal. as a prep.

I couldn't care less if he can block, but push come to shove, I bet he can get in the way well enough.

When looking at a trade, you have to consider Hardesty won't be traded, Davis can't really be traded for anything. Hillis might have some value, but not much.

The only RBs that have any trade value are Harrison and Vickers.

My guess is if Hillis shows he can be a good lead blocker to go along with his ability to run and catch, Vickers is the one who would be put on the block.

Vickers would also bring the most in return, be it a player or a future draft pick.

Yeah....keep an eye on how well Hillis blocks.

Otherwise, Davis probably gets cut as the odd man out.

I don't see why you would necessarily have to trade or cut any of them. If you keep Vickers and Hillis as FBs, and Harrison, Hardesty, and Davis at RB that represents your 5 man RB corps. The odd man out may be Jennings. He would have to beat out one of the others to maintain a roster spot. ....OR would the Browns keep 6 players at the RB/FB positions?

Archived