THE BROWNS BOARD

Hardesty Top RB?

Browns57

Hardesty wants to be top back for Browns

BY ADAM THOMPSON • Special to the News Journal • July 18, 2010

CLEVELAND -- Montario Hardesty isn't one to shy away from a challenge. The Cleveland Browns rookie thrives on competition.

Hardesty is making an early case that he belongs in the NFL. As training camp approaches in Berea, he's preparing to battle Jerome Harrison, the Browns' top rusher from last year, for the feature running back role in 2010.With 571 rushing yards over the final three games of the 2009 regular season, Harrison looks to be the frontrunner to start in Cleveland in 2010. However, the Browns grabbed Hardesty, a New Bern (N.C.) High grad, in the second round of April's NFL draft out of the University of Tennessee.

"I don't go into anything not wanting to be a guy that my team can count on to make plays on the field," Hardesty said. "I'm a competitive player. I love the game of football and I like to win. So come the first game, I definitely want to be on the field helping the Browns win."

The Browns recently wrapped up their Organized Team Activities, and Hardesty is already fitting in.

With Harrison spending most of the offseason worrying about contract issues, Hardesty capitalized on his opportunity to take reps with the first-team offense.

When Harrison rejoined the team in mid-May, the two split time in the backfield.

"Jerome, even though he's been going through his contract stuff, we've been working together for the past three weeks," Hardesty said. "When he was gone, I was getting all the reps with the first team. He's been helping me out a lot, but this is a business and we are both after the same goals. We are both competitive players, so it's going to be fun for me."

Training camp starts on July 23 for rookies. Hardesty also anticipates coming to terms on his contract by the time the Browns enter training camp.

"I'm definitely ready. This is something that's been my goal all my life," Hardesty said. "I'm ready for the opportunity and I want to seize that opportunity. I'm going to make sure that I'm in great shape and just compete. If I do that, my role on the team will work its way out."

Hardesty, a bruising 6-foot, 225-pound power back, has impressed the Browns' coaching staff not only with his play on the field, but also with his football IQ.

"I like the fact that I don't notice him on tape and he's been running with the first group and what I mean by that is missing an assignment, lining up in the wrong spot," Browns coach Eric Mangini said. "That hasn't been the case and he's gotten a lot of reps with the ones and he just seems comfortable there. He's got a great approach. All of those things I like and I think are going to serve him well."

Hardesty will wear the No. 31 jersey -- the same number worn by his mentor and former Volunteers' standout Jamal Lewis.

Like Lewis, Hardesty had a strong career at Tennessee. Hardesty ran for 2,391 yards and 26 touchdowns. The two-time captain capped his college career last season with 1,345 yards (fourth-best all-time for the Volunteers) and five 100-yard games.

Hardesty said he's making a seamless transition to the NFL.

"Nothing has really gotten in my way of learning," Hardesty said. "It's just football to me. I'm just trying to learn things from the veterans."

Hardesty has bonded with the members of his rookie class, including first-round selection Joe Haden, second-round pick T.J. Ward and third-round pick Colt McCoy.

"At the OTAs the veterans are gone by like 2 o'clock in the afternoon, while the rookies, we can be there as long as we want," Hardesty said. "We always do our laundry together and we always have extra workouts to do."

It didn't take long for Hardesty to learn about the passion of Cleveland sports fans -- a football-first town in a city starving for a championship. The last major title won in Cleveland was by a Jim Brown-led Browns' team in 1964.

"Everything happens for a reason. Cleveland is a great situation for me," Hardesty said. "It'' a great sports city. Right now, I'm working on getting settled into Cleveland and learning the playbook."

Adam Thompson is a Mansfield Senior graduate and a sports reporter at the New Bern Sun Journal. This story is being used with permission from the Sun Journal.

Not a lot of new info hear but man do I love everything that I keep reading about this kid. High football IQ, a strong passion for the game. A good teammate, and a strong competitive fire. I can't wait to see him and Harrison as a one two punch pounding the ball off tackle and up the middle all the way down the field!

I like Hardesty. In my keeper league, I hope to draft the kid, and may look that way as high as round 3.

Tennessee puts good runners in to the league , and Hardesty seems to fit the Cleveland mold.

Barring injury, I think the guy can carve out a very formidable career as a running back. He may not be a HOF back, but I could see him bang out 8000 yards over 5-6 seasons and make 2-3 pro-bowls along the way.

I certainly hope that is the case! I don't know that I would look for him as early as round 3 though. With having Harrison still there and Davis possibly in the mix he may not have enough opportunities. But then again he may have all the opportunities. How long did it take the Browns to figure out that Harrison could run better than that old has been we had last year. :)

I loved the pick. He was a riser leading up to the draft, and I watched a highlight reel of him on NFLN and thought he looked like a decisive, almost violent one-cut runner.

Along with Ward, Lauvao, and the Mitchell steal, a pick I liked very much (for whoever asked if I liked any of the draft!).

I loved the pick. He was a riser leading up to the draft, and I watched a highlight reel of him on NFLN and thought he looked like a decisive, almost violent one-cut runner.

Along with Ward, Lauvao, and the Mitchell steal, a pick I liked very much (for whoever asked if I liked any of the draft!).

That is a tremendous description of Hardesty, Shep. And if all this guy needs is a crease to get to the second level, I think Mssrs. Thomas & Mack can oblige.

Archived