THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns sued by former center LeCharles Bentley

NewEraDawg

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...d_by_forme.html

Cleveland, Ohio -- Former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, whose playing career ended after complications from staph infection, is suing the Browns for fraud and negligent misreprentation.

Attorney Shannon Polk said today that Bentley has filed suit in Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas.

2 0 0Share Bentley is the second former Browns player to sue the team as a result of a staph infection. Receiver Joe Jurevicius reached an undisclosed settlement in his suit in June. Jurevicius also sued the Cleveland Clinic. Bentley's suit only involves the Browns and Cleveland Browns Holdings, LLC, Polk said.

Polk said, "The Browns convinced LeCharles to rehab at their facility. Nothing required him to do it. That wasn't part of his job. They told him their facility was the best and that they had successfully helped others. But they never told him about a host of unsanitary conditions there, and they never told him about the list of others who contracted staph before he chose to rehab there.

"Had the Browns disclosed that stuff to him, had they been straight with him, he would have never agreed to rehab at their training facility. The man nearly died from the staph infection he got there."

Bentley, a former standout at St. Ignatius High School and Ohio State, suffered a torn patella tendon in his left knee on the first team drill of the 2006 Browns training camp. He had multiple surgeries and never played again, although he returned to compete in the team's minicamp in 2008 before asking for his release.

Besides Bentley and Jurevicius, other Browns players who had bouts with staph infection include Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, Brian Russell and Ben Taylor.

Bentley, who now co-hosts a talk show on WKNR-AM 850, will not comment on the suit, Polk said.

Cleveland, Ohio -- Former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, whose playing career ended after complications from staph infection, is suing the Browns for fraud and negligent misreprentation.

Attorney Shannon Polk said today that Bentley has filed suit in Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas.

2 0 0Share Bentley is the second former Browns player to sue the team as a result of a staph infection. Receiver Joe Jurevicius reached an undisclosed settlement in his suit in June. Jurevicius also sued the Cleveland Clinic. Bentley's suit only involves the Browns and Cleveland Browns Holdings, LLC, Polk said.

Polk said, "The Browns convinced LeCharles to rehab at their facility. Nothing required him to do it. That wasn't part of his job. They told him their facility was the best and that they had successfully helped others. But they never told him about a host of unsanitary conditions there, and they never told him about the list of others who contracted staph before he chose to rehab there.

"Had the Browns disclosed that stuff to him, had they been straight with him, he would have never agreed to rehab at their training facility. The man nearly died from the staph infection he got there."

Bentley, a former standout at St. Ignatius High School and Ohio State, suffered a torn patella tendon in his left knee on the first team drill of the 2006 Browns training camp. He had multiple surgeries and never played again, although he returned to compete in the team's minicamp in 2008 before asking for his release.

Besides Bentley and Jurevicius, other Browns players who had bouts with staph infection include Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, Brian Russell and Ben Taylor.

Bentley, who now co-hosts a talk show on WKNR-AM 850, will not comment on the suit, Polk said.

Cant really blame the guy. Staph happens way to often with Browns players. Although it's just a money grab but I guess it's money owed since the Staph really was a detriment to his career.

It's ashame that this happened to him, and ruined his career. As a talk show host his take on Lebron is starting to irk me, as he keeps taking Lebron's side. I guess being an athlete you could expect that. However; Bob Golic on his show doesn't seem to take Lebron's side.

It's ashame that this happened to him, and ruined his career. As a talk show host his take on Lebron is starting to irk me, as he keeps taking Lebron's side. I guess being an athlete you could expect that. However; Bob Golic on his show doesn't seem to take Lebron's side.

LeCharles is a 'players" ass kisser. Perhaps because he is a former player himself until recently. He has not yet adjusted to the real world.

LeCharles is a 'players" ass kisser. Perhaps because he is a former player himself until recently. He has not yet adjusted to the real world.

Yeah I picked up on that immediately. He thinks that we shouldn't be hatin' on Lebron! Sorry, but when you embarrass us on national tv, being from Ohio of all places! And that's what makes it worse. Oh well, the more dirt I hear about Lebron, the more I'm glad that he is gone. We don't need that kind of T.O. like drama here.

I've always felt that Bentley's knee was injured in the off season before THE practicee. If so I hope that someone comes forward now. The Browns paid him a lot of money to do nothing

i heard a couple of hosts from wknr and wtam say that lecharles had an injury that he didn't let the browns know about. yeah, i hope we find out what the real deal is and if lecharles is trying to pull a fast one on the browns.

Doesnt he host a show on WKNR

yes, but these comments were made a few years ago on wknr (and wtam) after lecharles asked to be cut from the browns roster. i think it was in 08 around the 2nd day of tc.

edit: browns beat reporter/sidelinereporter/wtam talk show host andre knott was the person on wtam that said a story was going around that lecharles had an injury before coming to cleveland and he didn't let the browns know about it. andre also said there was some other bad info coming out about lecharles, stuff that was going on before his injury. he said lecharles had a bad attitude, wasn't easy to get along with and was just a weird person. listening to lecharles on the radio, i'm inclined to believe these stories about him.

yes, but these comments were made a few years ago on wknr (and wtam) after lecharles asked to be cut from the browns roster. i think it was in 08 around the 2nd day of tc.

edit: browns beat reporter/sidelinereporter/wtam talk show host andre knott was the person on wtam that said a story was going around that lecharles had an injury before coming to cleveland and he didn't let the browns know about it. andre also said there was some other bad info coming out about lecharles, stuff that was going on before his injury. he said lecharles had a bad attitude, wasn't easy to get along with and was just a weird person. listening to lecharles on the radio, i'm inclined to believe these stories about him.

I definitely picked up on that as well when listening to him. Which would explain a lot about him in his constant defense of Lebron. If he had an injury prior to coming to the Browns, they had better investigate this.

I definitely picked up on that as well when listening to him. Which would explain a lot about him in his constant defense of Lebron. If he had an injury prior to coming to the Browns, they had better investigate this.

lecharles was on with roda earlier in the week and a caller was disagreeing with his (lecharles) take on lebron. lecharles started insulting the guy, calling him a roda groupie for agreeing with roda and telling him to stop kissing roda's ass. before the caller was hung up on, he said lecharles should stop kissing lebron's ass lol.

the sad thing about this is that the caller was right and had some great points. but lecharles couldn't admit to being wrong, so he resorted to childish name calling.

Former NFL center’s lawsuit questions sanitary conditions in facilities

Mon Jul 26 2010 11:54:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) by BNO News

FAIRFIELD, CONNECTICUT (BNO NEWS) — Former NFL center LeCharles Bentley’s lawsuit against the Cleveland Browns raises health concerns in professional sports training facilities, locker room and stadiums, says Steve Levine, President and CEO of AtmosAir Solutions.

On July 22, Bentley sued the Browns over a career-ending staph infection he says he contracted at the team’s training facility. Staphylococcus is a group of bacteria that can develop into several different infections, which normally affect the skin, and in some cases, could develop to become life-threatening. The infections can be contracted through insanitary conditions as these bacteria can easily survive on dry surfaces.

“Assuring NFL facilities have clean air is not only crucial for a player’s health, but when a team spends millions of dollars on its athletes, it’s just a very smart way to protect your investment,” said Steve Levine, President and CEO of AtmosAir Solutions, whose air-purificaion company already works with the Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars and Kansas City Chiefs.

Staph infections at athletic training facilities are often traced to contact with bacteria. Treating surfaces is generally temporary. A more permanent fix is installing air purification ionization systems. They rid the root of these infections over extended time and help insure athletes remain healthy and germ free.

Bentley’s attorney, Shannon Polk, said the lawsuit filed in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court seeks at least $25,000 in damages for alleged fraud and negligent misrepresentation. Polk said Bentley nearly died from the infection while he was rehabbing from a knee injury.

According to the NFL, Bentley tore the patella tendon in his left knee on the first team drill of the Browns’ 2006 training camp. He had multiple surgeries but never played a game for the Browns, although he returned to compete in the team’s minicamp in 2008 before asking for his release. Bentley in 2007 explained that he had undergone four operations since getting hurt, the final two to clean out the staph infection, which ate away at his tendon. The virus became so severe that doctors considered amputating his leg.

“The Browns convinced LeCharles to rehab at their facility,” Polk said. “Nothing required him to do it. That wasn’t part of his job. They told him their facility was the best and that they had successfully helped others. But they never told him about a host of unsanitary conditions there, and they never told him about the list of others who contracted staph before he chose to rehab there.”

“Had the Browns disclosed that stuff to him, had they been straight with him, he would have never agreed to rehab at their training facility,” Polk added. “The man nearly died from the staph infection he got there.

Archived