THE BROWNS BOARD

Dez Bryant refuses the chores of a lowly rookie

DieHardBrownsFan

Bryant refuses the chores of a lowly rookie

By MJD Yahoo Sports

Veteran wide receiver Roy Williams was expected to clash with rookie Dez Bryant(notes) in competition for playing time at Dallas Cowboys training camp. I guess they're going to be clashing over some other stuff, too.

It's tradition at training camps for vets to make the rookies carry their pads after practice. Things like that have been going on as long as the NFL has existed. Rookies carry pads. Rookies get donuts. Rookies sing their school fight songs in front of everyone. Rookies are in the back of the line for everything.

After practice yesterday, though, Williams attempted to give Bryant his pads, but Bryant wasn't having it. He let Williams know he could carry his own pads. From Tim McMahon at ESPNDallas.com:

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

Yeah, I think you're going to want to carry those pads, young man. You can tote some pads now, or be duct-taped to a field goal post later.

Every player on that team went through something unpleasant their rookie year, and if you think they're going to let you skate by because you made a few plays in college, I think you're probably wrong.

I'm not saying what the veterans do is right -- hazing should have his limits. But what exactly is your plan, Dez, to take on the entire institution of rookie hazing in the NFL? I don't think that's going to work out well for anyone.

You're probably way better off just carrying some pads and buying some ridiculous meals. I don't want this to end with you in a burlap bag in Jason Witten's(notes) trunk.

The proper response on Williams' part, or course, would have been to suggest that if Bryant was having trouble with the more demeaning aspects of the job, like handling a man's equipment, he should just call his mom and ask how she made peace with it. "Son, you just close your eyes and keep thinking 'calm blue ocean.'"

Dennis

Too soon?

Dez Bryant says he didn't know about tradition

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2010 1:31 PM ET

We should have known that Roy Williams' comments wouldn't have the last word about Dez Bryant not carrying his pads.

After all, Bryant needed to speak on the matter before we could begin to forget this mini-controversy with actual football news starting to pick up around the country.

Bryant said on Tuesday that he didn't know that rookies carrying the pads of veterans after practice was a long-standing ritual. (Hmmm.)

"I told Roy, if I knew that situation was going to turn out this big he could have walked in with his tights on," Bryant said.

Thankfully, that didn't happen and the Cowboys got an extra helper for all the difficult pads-carrying responsibilities. Jerry Jones' grandson helped Williams take off his pads today and he carried Dez Bryant's pads.

We'll be back later this afternoon with breaking news on what pads Terrence Cody carried off the field in Baltimore.

We should have known that Roy Williams' comments wouldn't have the last word about Dez Bryant not carrying his pads.

After all, Bryant needed to speak on the matter before we could begin to forget this mini-controversy with actual football news starting to pick up around the country.

Bryant said on Tuesday that he didn't know that rookies carrying the pads of veterans after practice was a long-standing ritual. (Hmmm.)

"I told Roy, if I knew that situation was going to turn out this big he could have walked in with his tights on," Bryant said.

Thankfully, that didn't happen and the Cowboys got an extra helper for all the difficult pads-carrying responsibilities. Jerry Jones' grandson helped Williams take off his pads today and he carried Dez Bryant's pads.

We'll be back later this afternoon with breaking news on what pads Terrence Cody carried off the field in Baltimore.

I got a better question.....is he gonna be a terrific WR starting NOW/???..........tanks in edvance

LOL....sounds like some big ass vet (or vets) shoved the rook in to a locker and told him he better get with the program.

Bryant refuses the chores of a lowly rookie

By MJD Yahoo Sports

Veteran wide receiver Roy Williams was expected to clash with rookie Dez Bryant(notes) in competition for playing time at Dallas Cowboys training camp. I guess they're going to be clashing over some other stuff, too.

It's tradition at training camps for vets to make the rookies carry their pads after practice. Things like that have been going on as long as the NFL has existed. Rookies carry pads. Rookies get donuts. Rookies sing their school fight songs in front of everyone. Rookies are in the back of the line for everything.

After practice yesterday, though, Williams attempted to give Bryant his pads, but Bryant wasn't having it. He let Williams know he could carry his own pads. From Tim McMahon at ESPNDallas.com:

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

Yeah, I think you're going to want to carry those pads, young man. You can tote some pads now, or be duct-taped to a field goal post later.

Every player on that team went through something unpleasant their rookie year, and if you think they're going to let you skate by because you made a few plays in college, I think you're probably wrong.

I'm not saying what the veterans do is right -- hazing should have his limits. But what exactly is your plan, Dez, to take on the entire institution of rookie hazing in the NFL? I don't think that's going to work out well for anyone.

You're probably way better off just carrying some pads and buying some ridiculous meals. I don't want this to end with you in a burlap bag in Jason Witten's(notes) trunk.

Roy Williams??? Now if it's Jason Witten this isn't an issue. He'll prob carry his pads. Roy Williams was a BUST.

its more funny that people are "this isn't hazing its an initiative into the nfl. Then why does it always make you feel like a b!tch.

Bravo Dez i see you workin, i would of loved to see the look on williams face when Bryant told him to shove those pads up his snatch

Roy Williams??? Now if it's Jason Witten this isn't an issue. He'll prob carry his pads. Roy Williams was a BUST.

its more funny that people are "this isn't hazing its an initiative into the nfl. Then why does it always make you feel like a b!tch.

Bravo Dez i see you workin, i would of loved to see the look on williams face when Bryant told him to shove those pads up his snatch

Well, what Dez should have said is "Roy, I will carry your pads now, but just know this: before long I will have your job".

Terrell Owens carries Chad Ochocinco's pads

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2010 8:53 AM ET

We never expected players carrying each other's pads back to the locker room after training camp practices to become one of the most talked-about stories during the summer of 2010, but here we are: New Bengals receiver Terrell Owens is carrying the pads for teammate Chad Ochocinco.

Owens isn't a rookie, but he is the new guy in Cincinnati, and he says he's fine with carrying Ochocinco's pads for as long as he's no longer considered the new guy.

"I guess until he tells me I'm good to go," Owens said. "I don't have a problem with it. Whatever Chad says, Chad gets."

That attitude puts Owens in the same company as Rams rookie Mardy Gilyard, but in contrast to Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant, who first refused to carry Roy Williams' pads, then said he didn't know he was breaking with NFL tradition, and now has much more important things to worry about.

Overall, Owens says he's happy in Cincinnati and just doing his best to fit into the offense.

"It's getting better, and that's the thing with this offense," Owens said. "It's not easy, but I feel like I'm a rookie all over again, but it will come around."

Archived