THE BROWNS BOARD

T.J. Ward signed

Second-round safety agrees to terms

Aaron Wilson JULY 26, 2010, 03:20 PM

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms on a four-year deal with second-round safety T.J. Ward, according to a league source.

Ward is regarded as a hard hitter who has excelled in classroom work, displaying his football savvy.

The 5-foot-11, 211-pounder ran a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash at his campus Pro Day workout, improving on his 4.54 from the NFL scouting combine where he bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times and posted a 34-inch vertical leap.

His 4.12 20-yard shuttle at his Pro Day ranks him ahead of Taylor Mays, Nate Allen and Chad Jones.

Invited to the East-West Shrine all-star game, Ward recorded 190 career tackles, 13 pass deflections and three interceptions. He forced five fumbles over the past two seasons.

Prior to the draft, Ward took official visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Browns and the Kansas City Chiefs.

The two-time honorable-mention All-Pac 10 selection also had two private workouts with undisclosed teams.

Seven down, one to go.

The last one is always the toughest, but I am sure Haden will be in camp no later than next Monday.

Yes. The first rounders always take longer as they are the bigger investment. Plus they always have to play this "slotting game". It will be nice when a rookie wage scale in implemented and this BS won't have to be endured.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ee_on_a_fo.html

Cleveland Browns agree on a four-year deal for second-round safety T.J. Ward

CLEVELAND -- The Browns agreed on a four-year deal for second-round safety T.J. Ward today, a league source told the Plain Dealer.

[/color]Earlier in the day, the Browns signed second-round running back Montario Hardesty. That leaves first-round cornerback Joe Haden as the only unsigned draft pick heading into the opening of full-squad training camp on Saturday.

On draft day, Browns general manager Tom Heckert said of Ward, the 38th overall pick out of Oregon, "We think he's a really, really good football player. He's a super tough kid and makes a lot of plays in the run game. We think he can cover...He's not strictly a box guy. We think he runs well enough and he's athletic enough that he can play both.''

Ward worked with the first- and second-team in minicamp and will challenge for a starting job this season.

This kid has a ton of potential but as I said before in another thread: even if he works out to be solid safety, its still a bad pick. We could have gotten him in the 4th or 5th round instead of the 2nd. However, we shouldn't concentrate on that and should forward to seeing him on the field.

I dont think TJ Ward would have made it to the 4th round. Just because Kiper or some other d-bag may have said that, I wouldnt hold too much weight to all their assessments after the first 5 picks.

yeah, but so many teams had him on their lists as a fourth or fifth round talent. we posted a couple of them a few months ago.

Bill Belichick was quoted last year saying Patrick Chung wasn't even the best safety on his own team, the other safety on that team was TJ Ward. Chung was selected bye the Patriots in the first rd. last year. The only thing that kept Ward out of the first round this year was his injury questions.

This is good news now if haden gets to camp by monday i would be more confident in a successful and fair camp, we all know mangenius frowns on guys not getting to camp for any reason other than death or illness and he even seems to hold a childish grudge against those guys by telling the press that one of the many "hank poteats" mangini keeps hanging around camp has impressed him and even letting those less talented players who showed up start and play simply because they "absorbed more of the program", never mind the fact they suck and have no talent! ;)

Unfortunately when it comes to vets vs newbies i get the feeling mangini is one of those guys that would rather walk down a gravel road with a comfortable old broken in pair of shoes that has holes in the soles instead of breaking in the new pair which may give him a blister or two but in the longrun wont let his feet to get cut up...;)

I somewhat agree Gips but the thing that alters that line of thinking are the two guys looking over his shoulder....

This is Holgrems team, make no mistake of that.. Mangini will play the players that are given to him, he's not running the whole show this year...

Peace

T.Dawg

I've watched Ward out here at Oregon for his career here. All you Browns fans are going to like him. He is a hitter and out played Taylor Mays at least twice that I saw. He has speed to go with the hits. He is also a good locker room guy. He will fit with the Ryan defense.

Nice really excited about him,i was sold on eric berry though only wondered what it would of taken to trade places with KC to get him.Some people said he was taking a lil high for his position which i remember him in the rose bowl but didnt see him on Mcshays or Kipers Board or anything, As far as im concernced he hits hard and looks good, hope he proves alot of people wrong...

First post 2 Thanks

Archived