THE BROWNS BOARD

Clarett back at OSU

POSTED: 8:32 P.M. JULY 26, 2010

Maurice Clarett back in class at Ohio State

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State University says former football star Maurice Clarett has been granted re-entry to pursue his degree after he spent more than three years in prison.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch says in a released statement that Clarett started classes today after he was readmitted by the College of Education and Human Ecology, where he was originally enrolled.

Clarett says in a released statement that it is a “surreal feeling to be back at Ohio State” and that he doesn’t want to be a “distraction or nuisance” to the football team or other students.

Clarett led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship in his only college season. He pleaded guilty in 2006 to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon, and served 3 1/2 years in a Toledo prison, where he took college-credit courses.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State University says former football star Maurice Clarett has been granted re-entry to pursue his degree after he spent more than three years in prison.

Ohio State spokesman Jim Lynch says in a released statement that Clarett started classes today after he was readmitted by the College of Education and Human Ecology, where he was originally enrolled.

Clarett says in a released statement that it is a “surreal feeling to be back at Ohio State” and that he doesn’t want to be a “distraction or nuisance” to the football team or other students.

Clarett led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship in his only college season. He pleaded guilty in 2006 to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon, and served 3 1/2 years in a Toledo prison, where he took college-credit courses.

I am curious why he would go back to OSU instead of to say Youngstown State near where he grew up, or somewhere else completely. Why return to the source of your difficulties.

Good for Maurice. i hope this works out for him.

+1 Ed, Maurice had more bad advice and more haters than any kid in America and more talent as well. He got screwed big time........

His choice was correct go back to OSU and get a degree..........maybe some NFL team will sign him practice squad and let him work into football shape over this and next year.

Damn, I would, he was one of the best freshman RB's I ever saw.............and had that great ingredient that makes super stars........."situational awareness""

GO Maurice...........make the detractors eat all those nasty words over the years

or just get your degree and be a great citizen

he made the play of the game in the last championship ever for OHIO and give him applause for that

+1 Ed, Maurice had more bad advice and more haters than any kid in America and more talent as well. He got screwed big time........

His choice was correct go back to OSU and get a degree..........maybe some NFL team will sign him practice squad and let him work into football shape over this and next year.

Damn, I would, he was one of the best freshman RB's I ever saw.............and had that great ingredient that makes super stars........."situational awareness""

GO Maurice...........make the detractors eat all those nasty words over the years

he made the play of the game in the last championship ever for OHIO and give him applause for that

Just because he went back to school doesn't mean you don't still owe me $2,109.00

You can PayPal it to johnmeehan401@yahoo.com

Zombo

He has made his share of bad decisions and I agree his 'handlers' gave him a life times worth of bad advice. He started to believe that his raw athleticism would be enough to make him a success and I think

he never developed the crucial character traits of hard work and dedication required to climb to the next level. hopefully he has got his head together after 3 plus years in the penal system. I DON' T think he

had any football left in him. As Rich4eagle states above, OSU would not have beaten Miami in the 02 championship game without several crucial plays by MC.......

FWIW, don't see any point in him going to college even if he were to get his doctorate (err, welll, you never know).......the way the job market is these days you can't get hired with a low end misdemenor

on your record let alone a effin violent felony conviction.....

Screw the felon. He should be banned from the State of Ohio. He is an disgrace to OSU and the people. He will end up back in prison, count on it.

The young man made mistakes & cost himself opportunities that would have driven many to suicide. Frankly, I hope he gets his degree & uses it to teach & help others. It took major "guts" for him to return to OSU. God Bless him in his efforts.

His mistakes were well documented, but I was not put on this earth to judge him. I wish him well.

As my dear departed Mother in Law would say, "He's more to be pitied than censured." Let's see what happens.

Mike

The young man made mistakes & cost himself opportunities that would have driven many to suicide. Frankly, I hope he gets his degree & uses it to teach & help others. It took major "guts" for him to return to OSU. God Bless him in his efforts.

His mistakes were well documented, but I was not put on this earth to judge him. I wish him well.

As my dear departed Mother in Law would say, "He's more to be pitied than censured." Let's see what happens.

Mike

i agree with this 100%.

We should hope he becomes a guy who has finally got his head screwed on straight, becomes

a model citizen, and even a mentor to a lot of athletes like him.....where he says "here's who I was, here's who I thought I was,

here's the WRONG KIND of "friends" to have, .....don't do like I did, look how I destroyed my career and my life".

If he is "off paper" I would suggest that if he wants to get back into football that he try out for a UFL team. He will not be given a sniff by the NFL at this point. Who knows if he could make a UFL roster.

He has made his share of bad decisions and I agree his 'handlers' gave him a life times worth of bad advice. He started to believe that his raw athleticism would be enough to make him a success and I think

he never developed the crucial character traits of hard work and dedication required to climb to the next level. hopefully he has got his head together after 3 plus years in the penal system. I DON' T think he

had any football left in him. As Rich4eagle states above, OSU would not have beaten Miami in the 02 championship game without several crucial plays by MC.......

FWIW, don't see any point in him going to college even if he were to get his doctorate (err, welll, you never know).......the way the job market is these days you can't get hired with a low end misdemenor

on your record let alone a effin violent felony conviction.....

Remember this contribution of Maurice Clarett: It was his lawsuit that settled the issue both for the NFL and for the NBA that it is legal for these leagues to set an entrance requirement to perform in the league as long as that requirement was the subject of a Collective Bargaining Agreement. Thus the NFL's Three year rule and the NBA's one year rule are now unchallengeable....due to Clarett's challenge and the Federal Court rulings pursuant thereto.

Remember this contribution of Maurice Clarett: It was his lawsuit that settled the issue both for the NFL and for the NBA that it is legal for these leagues to set an entrance requirement to perform in the league as long as that requirement was the subject of a Collective Bargaining Agreement. Thus the NFL's Three year rule and the NBA's one year rule are now unchallengeable....due to Clarett's challenge and the Federal Court rulings pursuant thereto.

thank you counselor

Archived