THE BROWNS BOARD

Report: Jack Tatum dies at 61

NewEraDawg

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2010 1:46 PM ET200805142334256_1-thumb-250x270-16772.jpgNotorious Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum, whose hit on Darryl Stingley during a preseason game in 1978 left Stingley a quadraplegic, has died at the age of 61.

According to 10TV.com, Tatum suffered a heart attack.

Tatum suffered from diabetes for years. He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg ultimately was amputated.

The hard-nosed safety's autobiography was titled They Call Me Assassin. For the youngsters in the crowd, YouTube will get you up to speed regarding Tatum's substance and style. (And please wait to see Tatum's hit on Earl Campbell. Then stick around to see whether Sammie White's head was in his helmet while it was rolling around on the field.)

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Ohio State awards during the season a "Jack Tatum Hit of the Week" award.

Loved by Raiders fans and despised by those who followed every other team, Tatum was a key part of the fabric of the game in the 1970s. There hasn't been another Jack Tatum, and there likely never will.

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2010 1:46 PM ET200805142334256_1-thumb-250x270-16772.jpgNotorious Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum, whose hit on Darryl Stingley during a preseason game in 1978 left Stingley a quadraplegic, has died at the age of 61.

According to 10TV.com, Tatum suffered a heart attack.

Tatum suffered from diabetes for years. He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg ultimately was amputated.

The hard-nosed safety's autobiography was titled They Call Me Assassin. For the youngsters in the crowd, YouTube will get you up to speed regarding Tatum's substance and style. (And please wait to see Tatum's hit on Earl Campbell. Then stick around to see whether Sammie White's head was in his helmet while it was rolling around on the field.)

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Ohio State awards during the season a "Jack Tatum Hit of the Week" award.

Loved by Raiders fans and despised by those who followed every other team, Tatum was a key part of the fabric of the game in the 1970s. There hasn't been another Jack Tatum, and there likely never will.

The "Assassin" was aptly named. It was he who hit Frenchy Fuqua in the "Immaculate Reception" play. The hardest pound for pound hitter I ever saw

The "Assassin" was aptly named. It was he who hit Frenchy Fuqua in the "Immaculate Reception" play. The hardest pound for pound hitter I ever saw

this link says a lot

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/osufootba...th.html?sid=102

I can remember Mr Tatum bangin heads at a young age when he played on some of Woodys' greatest teams at Ohio State in the later 60's. He combined raw power, speed and a great nose for the

ball in becoming one of the greatest (if not the) defensive secondary players in Big ten history. Woody loved him....we fans loved him and I will never forget the excitement he provided playing balls to

wall each and every Saturday.

He was the type of guy that made people sorry for catching the ball in his area . He took it real personal for them to even try .

I have seen him cracking heads in person . He gave many recievers nightmares , and more than a few injuries . He would not get away with some of his techniques in the modern day "sissy" rules . lol

He was the type of guy that made people sorry for catching the ball in his area . He took it real personal for them to even try .

I have seen him cracking heads in person . He gave many recievers nightmares , and more than a few injuries . He would not get away with some of his techniques in the modern day "sissy" rules . lol

Yea, no doubt. He was the type to get into receivers heads....both figuratively and literally

Sad that he died at such a young age. I was always a huge Tatum fan. He hit extremely hard & NEVER took a play off. He & Dick Butkus were my all time favorite defensive players.

After this year's draft, when I watched the TJ Ward videos, I called my son & told him that the kid hits like Tatum. He replied that I must have missed the interviews as Ward said he modeled his game after Tatum.

Mike

Sad that he died at such a young age. I was always a huge Tatum fan. He hit extremely hard & NEVER took a play off. He & Dick Butkus were my all time favorite defensive players.

After this year's draft, when I watched the TJ Ward videos, I called my son & told him that the kid hits like Tatum. He replied that I must have missed the interviews as Ward said he modeled his game after Tatum.

Mike

damn u nailed one of mine Butkus and Tatum the two intiminidators I ever saw............wanna get whacked call on them

Jack Tatum was the most feared DB ever in the NFL..........no comparison

here is more

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Former-...72710?GT1=39002

in case what I alreadu said is not beleived...............GO BUCKS

Jack Tatum would be a sure fire PF Hall of Famer if not for the hit on Darryl Stingley. So many people hold that against him, yet, he was only doing the same thing that the likes of Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Ronnie Lott, Chuck Bednarik etc. etc. etc were glorified for. And, as he said: this was the way he was taught to play.

People say he was unapologetic and that is why they won't consider him for the HOF. He was unapologetic for playing, as I said, the way he was taught. That does not mean that he wasn't sorry that Stingley got hurt so badly.

Archived