THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Oddities

The Gipper

Here is some trivia titled "NFL Oddities". See how you do:

1. What was the FIRST city to have an NFL/AFL/AAFC team with the following names: (hint: none of them are the current cities with teams with these names):

LIONS:

PANTHERS:

TEXANS:

GIANTS:

COWBOYS:

BUCCANEERS:

SEAHAWKS:

TITANS:

2. Since 1960 what Non-Quarterback has thrown the most career TD passes in the NFL/AFL?

3. What Non-kicker has played the most number of games in the NFL/AFL/AAFC?

4. Who is the only active player among the Top 25 in career sacks?

5. What player born in Ohio has scored the most TDs in his NFL/AFL/AAFC career?

6. Name that player: Born in Ravenna, Ohio. Attended Bowling Green. Drafted by the Buffalo Bills. Thought perhaps to be the "next Bernie Kosar". In his first game as an NFL QB he went 20 of 38 for 181 yards but no TDs. And that was the one and only single NFL game he ever played in his career. (and this was over 20 years ago so he isn't coming back)

7. What do the following NFL players have in common: Erich Barnes, Emerson Boozer, LaRoi Glover, Floyd Little, Todd Marinovich, Will Smith

8. What do these NFL players have in common: William Andrews, Norm Bulaich, Larry Csonka, Hanford Dixon, Dave Parks, Ken Stabler, Howard Twilley

9. Who said the following: "I wouldn't want to set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was important, like a league game".

10. Where was the very first game between 2 NFL teams played?

Bonus: What is the name of the official NFL game ball and why is it called that?

1. What was the FIRST city to have an NFL/AFL/AAFC team with the following names: (hint: none of them are the current cities with teams with these names):

LIONS:

PANTHERS: Cleveland

TEXANS: Dallas

GIANTS:

COWBOYS:

BUCCANEERS:

SEAHAWKS:

TITANS:

2. Since 1960 what Non-Quarterback has thrown the most career TD passes in the NFL/AFL? Walter Peyton

4. Who is the only active player among the Top 25 in career sacks? Jason Taylor

6. Name that player: Born in Ravenna, Ohio. Attended Bowling Green. Drafted by the Buffalo Bills. Thought perhaps to be the "next Bernie Kosar". In his first game as an NFL QB he went 20 of 38 for 181 yards but no TDs. And that was the one and only single NFL game he ever played in his career. (and this was over 20 years ago so he isn't coming back)

7. What do the following NFL players have in common: Erich Barnes, Emerson Boozer, LaRoi Glover, Floyd Little, Todd Marinovich, Will Smith DOB July 4th

8. What do these NFL players have in common: William Andrews, Norm Bulaich, Larry Csonka, Hanford Dixon, Dave Parks, Ken Stabler, Howard Twilley DOB 12/25

9. Who said the following: "I wouldn't want to set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was important, like a league game". Butkis

10. Where was the very first game between 2 NFL teams played? Canton

Bonus: What is the name of the official NFL game ball and why is it called that? The Duke

LIONS:

PANTHERS:

TEXANS: Dallas

GIANTS:

COWBOYS:

BUCCANEERS: Boston

SEAHAWKS: Miami

TITANS: New York

2. Since 1960 what Non-Quarterback has thrown the most career TD passes in the NFL/AFL?

L Tomlinson

Brett Favre

Joey Porter

Dante Lavelli

Brian McClure

7. What do the following NFL players have in common: Erich Barnes, Emerson Boozer, LaRoi Glover, Floyd Little, Todd Marinovich, Will Smith

Dad's were weird? lol

8. What do these NFL players have in common: William Andrews, Norm Bulaich, Larry Csonka, Hanford Dixon, Dave Parks, Ken Stabler, Howard Twilley

Born in Alabama

9. Who said the following: "I wouldn't want to set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was important, like a league game".

Jack Tatum

Chicago- Bears vs Decatur Staleys

Bonus: What is the name of the official NFL game ball and why is it called that?

LIONS:

PANTHERS:

TEXANS: Dallas (later KC Chiefs)

GIANTS:

COWBOYS:

BUCCANEERS:

SEAHAWKS: Miami

TITANS: New York (later NY Jets)

Zombo: the ones you got are right, except, recall that the first Dallas Texans was not the Chiefs, but that Dallas Texan team that played 1 year in 1952 and folded. The last NFL team to fold.

1 more season: On #1, Dallas yes, Cleveland no. (there was a Cleveland Panther team, but it was not an NFL/AFL/AAFC team and it was not the first). On #2, good guess, Payton was #2 on the list, but not first. Plus you got #s 4,7,8,9 right. On the bonus, you got that right....but now why is it called that?

LIONS: - Portsmouth

PANTHERS: - Cleveland

TEXANS: - Dallas

GIANTS: - Toledo

COWBOYS: - youngstown

BUCCANEERS: - Pittsburgh

SEAHAWKS: - Miami

TITANS: - New York

Paul Warfield

- George Blanda

- Jason Taylor

- Cris Carter

- McClure

- All 1st round picks

- Alabama

- Jack Tatum

Canton

Spalding. The owner was a ball player.

Here are the answers:

LIONS: Brooklyn NY. The Brooklyn Lions played in the NFL in 1926

PANTHERS: Detroit. The Detroit Panthers played in the NFL in 1925-1926 (preceded any Cleveland Panther team)

TEXANS: Dallas. The original Dallas Texans played in the NFL in 1952. Not to be confused with the AFC Dallas Texans that became the Kansas City Chiefs. Not to be confused with the Houston DumbAssTexans who were so dumb they couldn't come up with any better original name.

GIANTS: Evansville. The Evansville Giants played in the NFL in 1921-1922

COWBOYS: Kansas City. The Kansas City Cowboys played in the NFL in 1925 and 1926

BUCCANEERS: Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Buccaneers played in the NFL in 1926 going 6-3-1

SEAHAWKS: Miami. The Miami Seahawks played in the AAFC in the late 40s

TITANS: New York. As most of you know the New York Jets began as the New York Titans.

Halfback Frank Gifford threw 14 TD passes in his career post 1960. Second on the list was Walter Payton with 8. LaDanian Tomlinson has thrown 7, and Marcus Allen and Greg Pruitt each threw 6.

I would have given credit for two players: QB George Blanda who played in 340 games....but, if you recall he was also a kicker as well as a QB and it is probable that many of his later career appearances were only as a kicker. Jerry Rice would have been the other possible answer as he played in 303 games...none as a kicker. Brett Favre is third with 289 (and rumor has it that that will be all?

Many of you got this: Akron U. Zips own Jason Taylor who is 11th all time in sacks.

Chris Carter was correct. (Lou Groza is the Ohio born player who played in the most games)

Brian McClure is correct. He had that one decent game and quit with the belief that he just wasn't quite good enough to be an NFL QB. Though he may have been right, I am not sure he was any worse than a lot of other guys that continue playing.

These players were all real life nephews of their Uncle Sam and born on the 4th of July.

These were all Christmas presents to their parents born on December 25th.

This was Dick Butkus....and, are you going to argue with him about what was and what was not important? Not me.

Dayton, Ohio on October 3, 1920 between the Dayton Triangles and the Columbus Panhandles. Dayton won 14-0. Yes, the league was formed in Canton and The Bulldogs were certainly a team in that league and they may have played in the next few days, but I guess you can say, like aviation, Dayton gave the NFL flight.

The ball all NFL team's currently use is called The Duke and it named that in honor of former NY Giants owner Wellington Mara who also had that nickname. (I don't know if he was a John Wayne fan)

I would have given credit for two players: QB George Blanda who played in 340 games....but, if you recall he was also a kicker as well as a QB and it is probable that many of his later career appearances were only as a kicker. Jerry Rice would have been the other possible answer as he played in 303 games...none as a kicker. Brett Favre is third with 289 (and rumor has it that that will be all?

I'd only give Blanda partial credit if you make the parameters NON-Kicker. I'm old enough to remember in his last several seasons, Blanda was strictly a kicker- as was Lou Groza.

Dayton, Ohio on October 3, 1920 between the Dayton Triangles and the Columbus Panhandles. Dayton won 14-0. Yes, the league was formed in Canton and The Bulldogs were certainly a team in that league and they may have played in the next few days, but I guess you can say, like aviation, Dayton gave the NFL flight.

Well, North Carolina has tried to usurp the flight thing with "First in Flight". The Wright Brothers only went to Kitty Hawk because the prevailing winds were better there. Yeah Henry Ford and Greenfield Village moved the Wright's Cycle shop up to Michigan. :( PS- if you read the marker- it mentions Charles Kettering- who was probably only second to Ford in automotive invention. He's got the electric starter, among other things to his credit. Finally, there's not much left here in Dayton to commemorate that first NFL game- the Montgomery County Historical Society finally got around to putting up a marker on the spot. A lot of Daytonians don't even realize Triangle Park (now home to some baseball fields and tennis courts) was named after the Triangles, and that the first game was played here.

marker2.jpg

I always enjoy these little quizzes, Gipper. Also, your obsessive thirst for pretty obscure/useless football trivia makes my own seem normal by comparison, so I thank you for that as well.

Dennis

Useless? Useless! By God I'm gonna sic Dick Butkus on you and let you explain to him how his philosophy on football was useless!

I'd only give Blanda partial credit if you make the parameters NON-Kicker. I'm old enough to remember in his last several seasons, Blanda was strictly a kicker- as was Lou Groza.

Well, North Carolina has tried to usurp the flight thing with "First in Flight". The Wright Brothers only went to Kitty Hawk because the prevailing winds were better there. Yeah Henry Ford and Greenfield Village moved the Wright's Cycle shop up to Michigan. :( PS- if you read the marker- it mentions Charles Kettering- who was probably only second to Ford in automotive invention. He's got the electric starter, among other things to his credit. Finally, there's not much left here in Dayton to commemorate that first NFL game- the Montgomery County Historical Society finally got around to putting up a marker on the spot. A lot of Daytonians don't even realize Triangle Park (now home to some baseball fields and tennis courts) was named after the Triangles, and that the first game was played here.

marker2.jpg

Thanks for the photo of the historical marker.

On Blanda, yes, that is why I said I would except him, but note his time as a kicker. There are a couple of straight kickers like Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson I believe who played in more games, but they did nothing but kick. And if you are old enough, you remember Blanda actually playing some QB when he was like 46-48 years old and winning critical games for The Raiders at that age, but yes, he did go whole stretches where he did nothing but kick,

Archived