THE BROWNS BOARD

Kearns Gone?

Beanpot

Shapiro is the biggest joke in the world. No one, I mean NO ONE, can do this stuff and still keep their job. My bet is we get a minor league player, most likely a pitcher, but maybe a 3rd baseman or catcher.

I can just imagine Shapiro working for Chrysler, then every time a car gets built he pushes it off a cliff. But after he pushes 100 cars off the cliff, costs Chrysler millions, and still keeps his job.

I wonder if this one will get more interesting than just bringing Brantley back up. I'd love to see Brown or Weglarz get a shot.

As for Kearns, I'd take a bag of balls for him at this point. Brought him in as a minor league invite, he had a monster April and hasn't done much of anything since. He's batting .238 in July. He doesn't crush left (or right, for what it's worth) handers. He's not great in the field. He doesn't run. He's just an average stopgap. And he's been banged up. If Shapiro gets any kind of value for him, there should be a parade.

If Shapiro gets any kind of value for him, there should be a parade.

Pretty much agreed. He's valuable to certain contenders and I hope the return reflects that, but he clearly was going to be nothing more than a chip going forward.

BTW...this roo guy. Is he just here to act as a foil for all of the other guys who preceded him or is he being sincere?

Hope it's the former.

Beanpot

Pretty much agreed. He's valuable to certain contenders and I hope the return reflects that, but he clearly was going to be nothing more than a chip going forward.

BTW...this roo guy. Is he just here to act as a foil for all of the other guys who preceded him or is he being sincere?

Hope it's the former.

Beanpot

It doesn't bother you that Shapiro makes these bone headed moves year after year? are you not tired of being in last place? I can't be the only one tired of watching the Indians lose and getting rid of everyone every year.

Imagine if the Browns got rid of Haden, Rogers, Thomas, Wright, MoMass, Harrison, and Mack all this year. How would you feel? even better what if we traded them away for 7 practice squad players.

would you rather pay a bunch of mediocre players and be a .500 team every year or would you rather build up the farm system with top prospects and actually be able to contend for a few years. Its a tried and tested way of doing business in the majors, it works. When you realize we cant pay guys 20 million a year you might have a different view on things.

would you rather pay a bunch of mediocre players and be a .500 team every year or would you rather build up the farm system with top prospects and actually be able to contend for a few years. Its a tried and tested way of doing business in the majors, it works. When you realize we cant pay guys 20 million a year you might have a different view on things.

This is what they said when Shapiro started. We were able to contend in 2007,made it to the ALCS, ok what happened after that? he got rid of those guys and started all over again. He rebuilds for one year, dumps all those players and starts the process all over again. I understand Sabathia was never going to be able to stay here, but the rest of that team could have! NO ONE in the history of baseball has traded away 2 Cy Youngs, 2 years in a row.

I'm not sure why, but I think I kind of like getting sucked into this debate.

I'll say this.

First, instead of the GM, maybe take a moment to think about the players who "Oh my god I can't believe he traded" who have lead us to last place two of the last three trading deadlines (we were up a game and a half on the Royals last year).

Next.

It sucked trading Victor. Probably my personal shittiest moment I can think of as a Tribe fan, aside from a few choice losses in actual games. And here we are a year later with Carlos Santana taking his place. And Justin Masterson's here. And a few more good arms in the minors. If circumstances (mainly the presence of Santana) were different, I'm pretty sure Victor would still be here and would probably be getting extended.

CC was gone. The '08 season was pretty much over. We traded 3 months of him for 6 years of LaPorta and Brantley (and another good arm in the minors).

Lee was gone after this year. '09 was already down the tubes. At this point last year we were 18 games under .500. The year before (on July 30) we were 14 games under .500. It's not too outrageous a bet to claim that keeping the status quo into 2010 wouldn't result in anything much different. So the team decides to not wait while Lee's service time (thus, trade value) winds down and pounces on a deal that gets us four pretty good prospects.

If anyone wants to shed a quick tear over Jhonny Peralta, fine. Like a lot of people have said, he's kind of symbolic of the wasted potential of the last "window of contention." If you get upset about giving up on Kevin Kouzmanoff, Jeremy Guthrie, Rafael Betancourt, Casey Blake, Ryan Garko, Mark DeRosa, Trot Nixon, Joe Borowski, Josh Barfield, Eduardo Perez, Ronnie Belliard and Austin f'ing Kearns, I don't know what to tell you.

Side note. Jake Westbrook's always seemed like a good guy. I'll allow a small amount of moping for when he gets traded.

Westbrook is now gone to St. Louis

seriously these past few days don't anger anyone but me?

see ya Choo and Carmona

Here's all we got left, as of 1PM on Saturday July 31st

indiansgonecopy.png

...pretty depressing to see that this is what has become of a team that was a few outs from the World Series.

and all we have to show for these moves? Carlos Santana

Masterson? 3-10 pitcher who gave up 8 runs last night

lineup of .200 & .100 hitters

handfull of no name prospects playing for the Lake Erie Captains

seriously these past few days don't anger anyone but me?

Pretty much. I'm not much of an angry guy to begin with, but losing an average outfielder with no real above average facet to his game (who, by the way, was a pretty good sign by Shapiro), one of the worst offensive 3rd basemen in the AL (who wasn't much of a defensive whiz, either), and a 4th or 5th starter for a good team doesn't really affect my serotonin levels.

And I must have missed this one the first time through, but I found it pretty funny.

Imagine if the Browns got rid of Haden, Rogers, Thomas, Wright, MoMass, Harrison, and Mack all this year. How would you feel? even better what if we traded them away for 7 practice squad players.

Braylon Edwards? Kellen Winslow? Brady Quinn? Derek Anderson? Jamal Lewis? Hank Fraley? Kamerion Wimbley? Brodney Pool? Sean Jones? Willie McGinest? Almost every single starter from the '07 team?

I cant take this team seriously anymore. I love the tribe but holy shit. I swear i would not mind it anymore if they moved the team so us fans wont have to root for a player that we no for sure they will be leaving us as soon as they are good or whenever our owner feels like getting rid of them. Im still pissed off at the Victor trade last year.

Braylon Edwards? Kellen Winslow? Brady Quinn? Derek Anderson? Jamal Lewis? Hank Fraley? Kamerion Wimbley? Brodney Pool? Sean Jones? Willie McGinest? Almost every single starter from the '07 team?

Edwards and Winslow both have character issues

Brady Quinn and Anderson were garbage and got replaced by Wallace and Delhomme

Jamal Lewis and Wimbley retired

Hank Fraley got replaced by Alex Mack

Pool and Jones were mediocre and have since been replaced.

The difference is that most of these changes happen during the offseason, with the exception of Braylon. We get players in return that will contribute immediately, not 3 or 4 years from now. The only guy who won't be playing for a while is Colt McCoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived