THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp

ATENEARS

I attended camp again today, got there early, stayed there late, and came away with not nearly as much as yesterday to report on.

I didn't feel the players were giving much more than 75%, it was kind of a walk/run through type of practice. Anyone beating anyone in drills may just have very much been given 78% over his partners 75%.

With that said, I'll do some reporting how fit players look, and a lot about coaching.

Arriving early and looking around the Berea facility, I noticed something that I hadn't seen yesterday. The field has very large words or verses' painted on it. Such as, "Communication' right across the 50-yardline, or 'Focus' down around the twenty. I couldn't see what some of the other words were, but wonder who's idea (Mangini or Holmgren) this was.

Carltn Mitchell was one of the first out of the locker room and he worked with three young assistants catching short fire passes, while one assistant tried to interrupt his concentration by sticking out his hands as if to be intercepting the passes, but allowing the ball through where Carlton snatched it from the air just beyond him.

#94 Rookie Kwaku Danso was the very first out onto the field. He went out to some very open space and seemed to be taking it all in. Not really doing a whole lot of stretching, but maybe pacing around psyching himself up. I love that shit, good for him.

#86 WR Johnathan Haggerty was also out early. He seemed to be having fun, 'throwing' the ball around. Fading back and throwing balls to one of the many young assistants helping out. He was later joined by Brett Ratliff, as the two players and the assistant looked like kids on the play ground, taking turns halfass covering one another and trying to disrupt passes, although Haggerty was the one rolling out, fading back and hitting Ratliff on pass patterns. Or Ratliff was fooling around covering the young assistant as Haggerty was trying to hone his passing skills and lead the assistant away from the lunging Ratliff. Again, good stuff. Good to see them nice and loose.

It appeared that Evan Moore, Harrison, Robiskie, Massaquoi, Delhomme, James Davis, Steinbach, Mack, Joe T, St. Clair, Ben Watson, Shawn Lauvao and Stuckey broke out together in the first reps with the offense. Interesting, that Davis was among them (as well as Lauvao).

The Browns seem to be carrying a very large staff of position coaches and assistants. There was plenty of coaching going on and the players seemed very attentive to the instructional sessions.

Coach%20Brown.jpg

One coach in particular that I was really impressed with was Gary Brown, the Running backs coach. Coach Brown was everywhere. Standing over Harrison with diagrams in his hand discussing formations while Harrison stretched (pictured). He was right there on the sideline during head-to-head scrimmages, meeting each string of running backs as they came off the field, to give praise, encouragement, or direction. He reeled in Cribbs a time or two and obviously handles Cribbs on WildDawg formations. I like what I seen in Coach Brown and predict a good future for the guy, especially if the Browns begin to start having the success at that position that we all expect under Mangini. I looked up Browns Bio, and he basically came out of nowhere after an 8 yr NFL career out of Penn State. He coached at the college level and bounced around to a few different NFL camps such as Green Bay's and the NY Giants, as part of the NFL's Minority Coaching Fellowship program. Look for this guy to start rising, he is a very sound instructional teacher and takes the hands-on approach of preparing his players.

Back receiving punts with the initial group was Cribbs, Stuckey, Steptoe, Engram, and Gerard Lawson. Cribbs muffed one punt later on in a drill, which reminded me of how shaky he was coming into fielding punts originally on. I've always like Gerard Lawson back there if we ever need to fill in for Cribbs.

Delhomme was probably the best out of all the players today. He looked good, and there was no question he has an NFL arm still and had great accuracy and nice touch on throws. I have a little video on some of his good throws, but I had such good seats today that I was practically on the offensive sides sideline and the towering linemen in front of me prohibited many good shots.

Robiskie did well today and found the seams in his coverage and Delhomme seemed to be on the same page I'm not a big Robiskie fan, so this is a huge compliment.

I didn't see a whole lot from Joe Haden. He was last in reps and they were much too far in-between to see much of him. I will jump to a conclusion and say this, he seemed to hold a lot, as in he grabbed a lot of jersey and hung on. I focused in on him on Punt defense. He was lined up on the gunner and did a nice job. Actually a great job, although I thought he should have been called for holding. I'll put up some video of this in a bit. The referees are in the house, an abundance of them. I personally have never seen a training camp with so many referees working out and monitoring the practice. I didn't ever see where they actually flagged anyone, but I heard a guy behind me talking that they record infractions and turn them in afterwards of what they saw.

Impressed with the size and look of a few players;

Eric Steinbach is a beast. Man, the guy looks great, and very fit.

Joe Thomas has some of the most bulging calfs I've ever seen. He is looking pretty fit himself. The two of them stood directly in front of me several times and you can't help feeling secure that they are protecting our QB. On the hand, Alex Mack who is listed as being only 2" shorter than Thomas and Steinbach, looks like a short little fireplug compared to the men.

I am still enamored by Carlton Mitchells size. Compared to Massaquoi, Mitchell looks much more the NFL receiver, as Momass looks like a twig. Mitchell at 6'-3" & 215, looks to be able to add even more bulk to his frame. Massaquoi just doesn't do it for me … he is thin as hell.

Joe Haden is tiny, but looks fast. As I stated, I didn't see a lot of him, but the kid looks like a burner.

Vickers is a beast. That guy is thick and solid as hell. I'm expecting huge things from him and I think we need to quit screwing around and sign this guy for life.

D'Qwell Jackson is small at only 6'0" … no wonder he can't fill a hole.

If I think of more, I'll add to the thread … as well as some supportive pictures and video a bit later. It was hot out there, kicking back and enjoying a frozen Margarita now and reflecting back.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlton_Mitchell.jpg

Carlton Mitchell, WR 6'3", 215 lbs

Tell me this guy doesn't have even more room to bulk up!

He's gonna be a load to bring down.

I like everything i read about him and see about him.

I don't like to put labels on players, but he might become our T.O.....a kid out of nowhere who exceeds.

T.O. went from UT Chattanooga, to great player, to egghead.

Let's hope this kid follows the same path minus the egghead part.

For that matter, I will even allow the egghead part for a championship or two..

Vickers%20front.jpgVickers%20back.jpg

Vickers is a load. This guy is going to plow the way for one of these backs to have a huge season, and for our QB to get the protection they need. I think we need to dump him the ball more often and hand him the rock a bit more to keep defenses honest.

Comparison between Hillis & Vickers (or not much so). Both are 250-lbs, with Hillis 6'2" & Vickers 6'0"

Hillis%20vickers.jpg

And some people thought Joe was a questionable pick....and there were more than a few.

Joe Thomas has been our best pick since we came back into the league. He is dominant and one of the most respected LT in the League. Glad we didnt blow the pick on Quinn this early.

Not trying to hijack the thread but figured it belonged in here. Here are the notes from Day #2 training camp from Sportsline Rapid Report:

Sunday, August 01, 2010

5:09 pm RB Jerome Harrison on defending his durability despite averaging 35 rushes and 187 yards the last three games in 2009: "When big backs get hurt, it's fine. When little backs get hurt, they're injury prone. I just laugh because it makes no sense."

5:05 pm Browns rookie CB Joe Haden on his sudden wealth after signing what was reportedly a five-year, $50 million contract: "The big numbers did blow my mind. The guys were saying, 'Hey, Big Money!' but they were just having a good time."

4:53 pm CB Eric Wright on fending off Sheldon Brown and first-round pick Joe Haden: "I've been challenged since my rookie year and always step up to the plate. Competition brings the best out of everyone. The cream will rise to the top."

4:49 pm Browns new RB Peyton Hillis on the possibility of being just a pass-catching back: "They have me doing a little of everything right now to see where I fit in." Hillis was sensational today, turning two receptions in the flat into long gains.

4:49 pm RB Peyton Hillis on the possibility of being just a pass-catching back: "They have me doing a little of everything right now to see where I fit in." Hillis was sensational today, turning two receptions in the flat into long gains.

3:27 pm The knee injury to Montario Hardesty gives Jerome Harrison a clear shot at securing the featured RB shot. Harrison is running wild today, bursting twice through the line for long gains to the cheers of his offensive teammates.

3:04 pm Even Pro Bowlers must run a lap when they err under Browns coach Eric Mangini. Josh Cribbs had to jog around the field after muffing a punt.

3:04 pm Abe Elam has made several nice plays in coverage today. The veteran Browns safety is trying to fend off challenges by Mike Adams and rookie T.J. Ward.

2:56 pm WR Brian Robiskie is playing with the first-teamers today. A disappointment in his rookie season, his progress will be a key to the success of the receiving corps.

2:37 pm Browns rookie RG Shawn Lauvao is working with the first team today. He could end up the starter when the regular season kicks off.

2:32 pm The Browns bolstered their secondary more than any other unit in the offseason, and it's showing today. DBs Eric Wright , Abe Elam and Sheldon Brown have blanketed WRs in 1-on-1 drills.

2:18 pm Browns RT and expected starter Tony Pashos is out for the second consecutive day as he battles a cold. He's in uniform, but not participating in drills.

1:52 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini on the personality of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan: “Rob lives outside the box. I visit him quite often. He has a nice place there.”

1:38 pm It appears quite likely that Shaun Rogers will be moving to DE with Ahtyba Rubin assuming the starting NT spot in the Browns’ 3-4. Coach Eric Mangini said Rogers will get preseason work at RE and LE and “is going to be good at it.”

1:34 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini avoided stating whether backup QB Seneca Wallace will be given a chance to beat out Jake Delhomme, but he is impressed. “It’s clicking,” he said. “He’s got a good arm and makes plays with his feet. I’m encouraged.”

1:32 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini on Matt Roth, who has added bulk and is arguably the team’s best pass-rushing LB: “He’s a very difficult guy to position. He’s very tough and has excellent hands in locking guys up.”

1:30 pm Browns rookie CB Joe Haden is in camp, having signed his contract yesterday. The arrival of the first-round pick today leaves no remaining holdouts.

For those of you who have never been to the Browns Training Complex, here is a panoramic video I shot today of the facility.

The large white building houses their 60-yard indoor field. The complex itself has a lot of training rooms, locker room, wave pools, offices, ect. You can pull up great deatil on the ammenities from elsewhere on the web.

The big hill just beyond the complex is a left over from the Bellchick era, once (maybe still is) called 'Bellchick Hill". The far side of the field is VIP seating for media, families of team, etc.. back in 1999 there use to be grandstands there. The kiosk you see are concession stands and such. the place has four outdoor fields, double wide next to one another. Some of the goal post are narrow to hone kicking.

If you have any questions, ask away ... here's the video:

Btw, the place was packed again today. IF they weren't leeting people in yesterday and were cutting it off at 3500 and only allowing more in when others left, then they must have decided to up the capacity allotted because today had even more inside and it was a bit hard manuevering through the crowd.

Kids in the Browns kid club get a ticket to enter an autograph tent. My 9yr old daughter received a ticket today and I pulled out of the crowd to meet my wife and child at the tent just prior to the end of practice. They made their way to the tent a half hour ealier. She was the first in line and waited there proudly for over 45 minutes in nearly 90-degree heat. That is after we got there at 12:30 and practice didn't end and players didn't make there way to the tent until nearly 3:45pm. She's a trooper and went with my on Saturday as well.

Her favorite player, of course, is Josh Cribbs. Guess who was one of about ten players sent to the designated tent? Yes, Josh himself ... although the dumbass procedure they have has five players sitting on one line and five others next door. Josh at the last second moved to the other line and she didn't get his autograph. She ever asked very politely if she could just move over and get it and they wouldn't permit it. Dumdasses.

She was good about though and got Carlton Mitchells, Steptoe, Benjamin Watson's, and I can't remember who else.

BTW, if you take your kid and they are one of the select few to receive an autograph ticket, there are two colored tickets, an orange and a brown one. There are two seperate tents, and orange and a brown one. You guessed it, the orange ticket is good for the orange tent and the browns one for the brown tent. The Browns provide a nice little staionary card for autograph use under the tent, or you can have one item (football, pennat, shirt, etc..) signed.

It is a random pick as to who will be signing that day.

Big change from when we were kids and almost got trampled trying to run in front of the players at Hiram college, Kent State and at Lakeland Community college (those were my memories). However, back in the day, every player was game to try to secure an autograph from and everybody had a a shot at obtaining one (man, woman or child).

Rules ... rules ... rules ...

1:52 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini on the personality of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan: “Rob lives outside the box. I visit him quite often. He has a nice place there.”

:lol:

it's great to see mangini relaxed and having fun with his job.

#94 Rookie Kwaku Danso was the very first out onto the field. He went out to some very open space and seemed to be taking it all in. Not really doing a whole lot of stretching, but maybe pacing around psyching himself up. I love that shit, good for him.

i'm interested in seeing if this guy turns into something good for the browns. let's see what ryan can get out of him.

Btw, the place was packed again today. IF they weren't leeting people in yesterday and were cutting it off at 3500 and only allowing more in when others left, then they must have decided to up the capacity allotted because today had even more inside and it was a bit hard manuevering through the crowd.

Kids in the Browns kid club get a ticket to enter an autograph tent. My 9yr old daughter received a ticket today and I pulled out of the crowd to meet my wife and child at the tent just prior to the end of practice. They made their way to the tent a half hour ealier. She was the first in line and waited there proudly for over 45 minutes in nearly 90-degree heat. That is after we got there at 12:30 and practice didn't end and players didn't make there way to the tent until nearly 3:45pm. She's a trooper and went with my on Saturday as well.

Her favorite player, of course, is Josh Cribbs. Guess who was one of about ten players sent to the designated tent? Yes, Josh himself ... although the dumbass procedure they have has five players sitting on one line and five others next door. Josh at the last second moved to the other line and she didn't get his autograph. She ever asked very politely if she could just move over and get it and they wouldn't permit it. Dumdasses.

She was good about though and got Carlton Mitchells, Steptoe, Benjamin Watson's, and I can't remember who else.

BTW, if you take your kid and they are one of the select few to receive an autograph ticket, there are two colored tickets, an orange and a brown one. There are two seperate tents, and orange and a brown one. You guessed it, the orange ticket is good for the orange tent and the browns one for the brown tent. The Browns provide a nice little staionary card for autograph use under the tent, or you can have one item (football, pennat, shirt, etc..) signed.

It is a random pick as to who will be signing that day.

Big change from when we were kids and almost got trampled trying to run in front of the players at Hiram college, Kent State and at Lakeland Community college (those were my memories). However, back in the day, every player was game to try to secure an autograph from and everybody had a a shot at obtaining one (man, woman or child).

Rules ... rules ... rules ...

First post here, but I had to register to say THANK YOU. The information/pictures/videos you have provided have been fantastic. Living out in Denver has been torturous for a Browns fan needing a fix.

First post here, but I had to register to say THANK YOU. The information/pictures/videos you have provided have been fantastic. Living out in Denver has been torturous for a Browns fan needing a fix.

Ba-da-Bing! Welcome aboard, glad you've now registered and are ready to post. Also very glad that these training camp photo's, write-ups, and video's help bring you guys closer to home. I have a ton of video from the second practice, but am a little apprehensive to put them up because they aren't of as much action as Saturdays session. However, I too once lived out of state and know what it is like to grasp onto any little shread of news possible, so if I get around to it today I will upload more.

STO needs to send Ashley Collins down to training camp!

LM41.jpg

I'm 'Friends' with her on Facebook, only because I'm a big 'Beer Money' fan (wink).

I knew this thread would go down hill after pinning the Mary Kay photo up. It always does, year after year, and is taking on tradition of it's own.

Not trying to hijack the thread but figured it belonged in here. Here are the notes from Day #2 training camp from Sportsline Rapid Report:

3:04 pm Even Pro Bowlers must run a lap when they err under Browns coach Eric Mangini. Josh Cribbs had to jog around the field after muffing a punt.

Here's the video of the muffed punt ...

Hopefully here is a glimpse of great things to come from Robiskie ..

Video #1: #80 Brian Robiskie beats #39 DeAngelo Smith to the corner for a TD pass from Jake Delhomme.

Video #2: #80 Brian Robiskie beats #21 Eric Wright & #43 T.J. Ward on the skinney post. Pass by QB Seneca Wallace

#40 Peyton Hillis takes a handoff and burst through the line during 7-on-7 drills at Sunday's Browns Training Camp practice.

Not sure if this is good or bad. Great offensively, but sucks balls Defensively as one of our smaller DB's would have had to stop this load head-on.

I didn't see a whole lot from Joe Haden. He was last in reps and they were much too far in-between to see much of him. I will jump to a conclusion and say this, he seemed to hold a lot, as in he grabbed a lot of jersey and hung on. I focused in on him on Punt defense. He was lined up on the gunner and did a nice job. Actually a great job, although I thought he should have been called for holding. I'll put up some video of this in a bit.

Here's the video I spoke of earlier of #23 Joe Haden. I'll put what I got of Haden up in this thread as I upload it.

Here is Joe Haden in pass coverage, again, it appears he grabs on and could be flagged for holding.

Hopefully here is a glimpse of great things to come from Robiskie ..

Video #1: #80 Brian Robiskie beats #39 DeAngelo Smith to the corner for a TD pass from Jake Delhomme.

Video #2: #80 Brian Robiskie beats #21 Eric Wright & #43 T.J. Ward on the skinney post. Pass by QB Seneca Wallace

Boy, looks like a nice target. Nice strength, good upper body and veteran moves. He is my pick as Biggest Surprise this year ... he catches at least 60 balls.

Outside of Joe T., I think Vickers is my favorite offensive player, Robo is my dark horse

Zombo

Archived