THE BROWNS BOARD

A fan's experience at the Scrimmage today(w/video)

dawgpound3

This is from someone on the footballs future.

Just got back from the stadium... I have complete and entire video of the scrimmage and will get it uploaded soon...

The most disturbing part of the scrimmage was the play of Colt McCoy... It was that bad... Two INT's including a pick 6 to BMac, constantly patting the ball and holding on to it way way to long taking two sacks... This has been a problem in camp as well and he has been taking sacks there as well... His mobility is also average at best...

Also, a ugly fight between Marcus Bernard and Scott Kooistra broke out, both were ejected, but the bad part was Clifton Geathers came off the sidelines to get into it and drew a major melt down from his position coach and Mangini... Too bad because bernard(2 sacks) and geathers were playing pretty well... Trusnick had 2 sacks...

The surprise was the play of James Davis, the obvious offensive star of the scrimmage... Davis had a 55 yrd WildDawg handoff, a 25+ yrd pass out of the backfield and showed incredible strength and burst speed... Harrison didnt do anything, Jennings was solid as well... Cribbs looked good in the WildDawg and Watson and Moore were both open all day... Watson made a great TD catch from delhomme in the back corner of the endzone... Moore is a beast in the making... David Veikunne was back to lining up down between the tackles which i thought was interesting...

BMac really did play very well and Haden held his own for the most part... Breaking up a Cribbs TD pass in the back of the endzone, but on the next play getting burned in coverage but a sack was recorded or he would of given up a score to cribbs... Larry Asante also had a good scrimmage...

Click here for video

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/64C...nt=100_0203.mp4

^ Colt Mccoy

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/64C...nt=100_0191.mp4

^Jake Delhomme

People need to stop worrying about Colt McCoy's poor performances, he's a rookie and won't be playing this year unless injuries hit really hard, and even then, I would expect them to sign an FA veteran QB before playing McCoy.

Peyton Manning did awful in his rookie season, lots of great QBs did awful in their first season, I'm not saying McCoy will be great one day for sure, but him having a bad first year is nothing uncommon.

I'm much more worried about how Delhomme does than any other QB on the team, I really think the lack of a true #1 receiver on the Browns hurts his play(although he has a good rapport with TE Watson). I'd like to see Mitchell get a lot of playing time in the preseason because he is the only WR on the team with #1 receiver potential(Massaquoi would be a great #2, Robiskie a solid #3, if he can play better than Stuckey that is), mostly physically and also because of his athleticism.

I really think he could be something special, he always got separation in college.

edit:

Geathers seems he really needs to learn how to behave(tackled Jennings even though tackles aren't allowed, then tried to get into the scuffle), if this guy ever gets a lot of playing time, or even becomes a starter, I expect him to commit lots of penalties and make lots of overly aggressive plays, whether that's for the better or worse. He'll probably be in the doghouse until he learns better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsZx...elhomme-4153837

CLEVELAND - Jake Delhomme(notes) took an immediate liking to Cleveland Browns Stadium while playing for the Carolina Panthers five years ago in a preseason game.

While Saturday's encounter was only an intrasquad scrimmage, Delhomme enjoyed his first experience at the stadium as a member of the Browns.

"It's great," he said. "You can feel the energy and passion of the fans.

"We're trying to win. I think it's building. There's a nice feel."

Delhomme, slated to be Cleveland's starting quarterback, threw a five-yard scoring pass to tight end Ben Watson in the fourth quarter for the Brown team, which defeated the White team, 14-6. He completed 10-of-15 passes for 78 yards and no interceptions.

Cornerback Brandon McDonald(notes), also playing for the Brown team, returned an interception for another score.

All eyes in Cleveland are on the 35-year-old Delhomme, a 12-year veteran signed by the Browns after being released by the Panthers. The scrimmage, in which there was no tackling, came at the end of the first week of training camp.

"You have to be realistic about what happened out there," Delhomme said. "For the most part, we did some decent things.

"I'm sure there's a lot to work on."

The Browns play their first preseason game next Saturday at Green Bay, something Delhomme is looking forward to, although not for the reason people would think.

"You need to get hit," he said. "You don't like quarterbacks saying that, but you need to get hit.

"You need to have that feel. You need to have that pass rush coming at you and that blitz because we're not live in practice. We're the only ones. That has to get you sharp."

Browns coach Eric Mangini wanted to simulate actual game conditions as much as possible. The teams dressed in separate locker rooms, there was a halftime, and NFL referees officiated the game, which was played with 10-minute quarters. Although there were 15 penalties, Mangini was pleased with what he saw.

"It was really good work," he said. "It was a nice opportunity for us to do it in a game setting before we have to go do it next week."

McDonald, also playing for the Brown team, intercepted Colt McCoy's(notes) pass in the second quarter and returned it 40 yards for the only touchdown of the first half.

McCoy, drafted in the third round after a standout college career at Texas, completed 7-of-12 passes for 31 yards and threw two interceptions. His sideline pass to Syndric Steptoe(notes) in the second quarter was underthrown and picked off by McDonald, who weaved his way across the field and into the end zone.

McCoy's other interception came on a Hail Mary pass into the end zone on the last play of the half. McCoy, who is behind Delhomme and Seneca Wallace(notes) on the depth chart, was sacked twice and had two passes knocked down.

Kicker Phil Dawson(notes), who played for both teams, connected on field goals of 48 and 35 yards for the White team's only scores.

The scrimmage was interrupted in the fourth quarter when a fight broke out between guard Scott Kooistra(notes) of the White team and linebacker Marcus Bernard of the Brown team. Both players were ejected.

"We're not going to fight at practice," Mangini said. "We'll have plenty of chances to show how tough were are."

Josh Cribbs, one of the league's top return men, appeared at several positions. He lined up at quarterback in the WildDawg formation and was used at wide receiver and running back. Cribbs even lined up at safety on one play and had Wallace in his sights on a blitz.

Archived