THE BROWNS BOARD

Another good artical from Tony Grossi

DawgPoundPitt

A confident Rob Ryan talks about the Cleveland Browns' defense: 'We're ready to roll'

Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 9:08 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 9:11 PM

Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns coach Eric Mangini jokingly calls defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's in-season press conferences "the most stressful 15 minutes of my week."

Public speaking is in Ryan's DNA. His father, Buddy, was one of the NFL's great, ahem, orators. His twin brother, Rex, now holds the title as head coach of the New York Jets. Rex keeps the Jets in the headlines and ownership likes that.

Rob does all right for himself, too.

"He doesn't live in the box," Mangini said. "I think he and I complement each other well. It's a good balance for me. He's funny. It's like comic relief sometimes. I know it's hard to believe last season, but there were times I needed a little comic relief."

Ryan was on good behavior during a recent sit-down at Browns training camp. Perhaps he was saving his best stuff for the real season. The interview was done before linebacker D'Qwell Jackson went down with a pectoral injury. Excerpts of the interview follow.

Question: Lots of former starters at linebacker. How is that position group going to shake out?

Ryan: We're going to keep the best. The great thing is they've all played. That competition is definitely heated. But we've got a lot of playmakers there. That's the exciting thing. With our linebackers, it's important to us to have playmakers at that spot.

Q: Most of the linebackers have the versatility to play inside and outside. What does that mean for D'Qwell Jackson and Marcus Benard, who don't seem to have that versatility?

Ryan: I mean, versatility's great. To be able to do that, that defense is going to look a helluva lot different to offensive players and we can make it look a lot of different ways. But D'Qwell's a player. We had him play inside and outside last year. He can do that. He's just a super-talented guy. We're so happy he's back full speed and looking great. Marcus is ready for his second season, when you make your most improvement.

Q: The defense tied for eighth last year with 40 sacks, but no player had more than 61/2. Is that the way you like it?

Ryan: We'd like to have one that led the league. I think everybody wants that. I had that in Oakland with [Derrick] Burgess. We don't mind having two guys in double digits like we had in New England. It's just how it goes. There's no reason one of our guys can't lead the league.

Q: The run defense appeared to improve when Ahtyba Rubin took over for injured Shaun Rogers at nose tackle. What exactly does that mean?

Ryan: Rubin's a real fine player ... a guy who really grew in his second season last year. He really came alive and did a great job, but there's only so many Shaun Rogers in this league. To put him in the middle of your defense is something special.

Q: Could he be just as effective at end?

Ryan: Sure, he can be effective anywhere. You have a Reggie White lined up at tackle and end and nose tackle. A guy like Shaun, just have him on the field whether at nose, tackle, a shade, a three-technique, an end -- doesn't matter. Just get him out there and let him play hard. Linebacker, who cares? Get his (butt) out there.

Q: Kwaku Danso and Clifton Geathers look like two giant linemen begging to be molded and developed. How are they doing?

Ryan: They're great big-bodied kids. In Danso's case, there's no experience. Probably has more experience kicking soccer balls. He's brand new, and to stick him on the nose is really hard. He's got guys coming at him from every angle. The Geathers kid ... one thing with Clifton, he's not getting any bigger. I don't think it's possible, but if he does, look out. He's so young. They're both so raw. They're good kids and hopefully they'll learn their lessons.

Q: Do they have to grow up fast to help the team as rookies?

Ryan: I would think so. This is a grown man's league and right now they're kids. It doesn't mean those kids won't make strides and do some things. We've got a lot of football in front of us. Get to see them against competition, hit people back and fight. Do the things linemen have to do.

Q: The quick impression of rookies Joe Haden and T.J. Ward are that they're very short. How do they compensate for that?

Ryan: First, they're two damn good football players. Excellent football players. If you honestly look at it, I know [Eric] Berry's a great player, but those two are two of the top defensive backs in the whole country and we've got 'em both. I'll be perfectly honest, I never thought about their height. Their height doesn't [matter]. The confusing thing was Haden changing his jersey number. They're two damn good players and they're going to help us.

Q: Ward is the only rookie starting on defense.

Ryan: Haden had the holdout, so he couldn't be. But he's doing outstanding, Joe. [Ward] is more than hanging in there, he's going to be one of our better players. He'll be just fine.

Q: Ward's coverage ability was questioned in college.

Ryan: Bring it on. He's done a great job. He gets his hand on passes a lot in practice. Always competing. Will knock your block off. He's going to be an exciting guy. There's not many rookies who come in as safeties and play in our system. Very complicated system. But this man can do it.

Q: How much better does the defense have to be for this team to close the gap on playoff contenders?

Ryan: All the stats ... we were [expletive] terrible and everything [last year], but 22nd in league in points, which is not great, but understand we were getting to learn them and they were getting to learn us. We're looking forward to Year Two. We had a lot of painful steps that first year. But wherever you go it's going to be like that, unless you inherit [something good]. You go to a new place, usually you have to start over and that takes a little while. But Year Two? We're ready to roll.

or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

I'm damn near 64 years old & have always HATED the terms "rubberband" & "prevent" defense. Last year, we saw, with far less talent than is here now, a glimpse of the aggressive defense I have wanted for years. I like Ryan, his style of play, & now with better players to execute that style, this should be a fun D to watch.

Mike

Archived