THE BROWNS BOARD

Now this is more like it, having 2 reliable Cleveland Browns QBs

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....e_it_havin.html

A year ago, the Browns had no reliable quarterback. This season, they may have two.

The operative word is "reliable." Not great. Not a game-changer. Probably not a long-term answer at this key position. But what Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme have shown in the first two preseason games is these two veterans have a clue of what it means to play the position in the NFL.

Yes, Delhomme had two botched snaps (losing one) early in pouring rain of the first quarter during Saturday night's preseason game against St. Louis.

Two is disturbing. The import from Carolina has started 92 NFL games, and let's assume some of them were in the rain. He has to know that securing the snap is critical.

The impressive part was how Delhomme pulled himself and the offense together, and led them on an 11-play, 77-yard touchdown drive. New tight end Ben Watson made a brilliant one-handed catch at the back of the end zone.

Let's stop right here and underline the fact that the Browns not only have upgraded their quarterback position -- but tight end is so much better than a year ago. Thank you, Evan Moore and Watson (two TD catches already in the preseason).

While the Browns still have trouble defending tight ends, Watson seems destined to give opposing safeties some fits.

Guess how many touchdown passes the tight end caught all of last season. Raise one finger and stop.

That's it, one.

With Delhomme at quarterback, the Browns will throw short a lot. They'll throw to running backs, to tight ends, to receivers running quick patterns rather than going deep. At some point, Delhomme will have to connect with his receivers down field -- as opposing defenses will see the same tendencies that fans do from the Browns offense.

But the heart of this offense will beat by running the ball and throwing passes that don't lead to interceptions.

Besides the early problems with snaps, the only other area of concern for Delhomme was two passes tipped by rushing linemen. Neither was intercepted, but those plays can produce turnovers.

Yes, the Rams are a lousy team. But Delhomme was 12-of-16 for 127 yards Saturday. That comes after 6-of-7 for 66 yards in Green Bay last week -- and no interceptions so far.

Enter Wallace. Isn't he fun to watch?

He can throw the ball deep -- easily. He also can bolt out of the pocket for a first down like a running back.

He is much different than Delhomme, and you have to wonder if the Browns will sometimes use Wallace as more than a backup or in a WildDawg formation. Wallace would be especially effective near the goal line because he runs so well and also delivers solid throws on the run.

He found Joshua Cribbs in the end zone for his third touchdown pass of the preseason.

It also helps that the Browns may have found another running back along with Jerome Harrison. Rookie Montario Hardesty is still out. But Peyton Hillis (added in the Brady Quinn deal) is a rampaging bull moose when he has those legs pumping and 240-pounds rambling. Put 250-pound blocking fullback Lawrence Vickers in front of him . . . and you almost feel sorry for the defense.

I said . . . almost.

But you can see this combination making Browns fans cheer and defenses wince when the Browns decide to keep the ball on the ground. Hillis also can catch the ball, as he showed with 118 receptions in 44 games at Arkansas -- and with the Browns this training camp.

But the real story on this night was more professional play from Delhomme and Wallace. This is not about nominating either quarterback for the Pro Bowl. But don't you feel much better about the situation than you did at any time last season?

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....e_it_havin.html

A year ago, the Browns had no reliable quarterback. This season, they may have two.

The operative word is "reliable." Not great. Not a game-changer. Probably not a long-term answer at this key position. But what Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme have shown in the first two preseason games is these two veterans have a clue of what it means to play the position in the NFL.

Yes, Delhomme had two botched snaps (losing one) early in pouring rain of the first quarter during Saturday night's preseason game against St. Louis.

Two is disturbing. The import from Carolina has started 92 NFL games, and let's assume some of them were in the rain. He has to know that securing the snap is critical.

The impressive part was how Delhomme pulled himself and the offense together, and led them on an 11-play, 77-yard touchdown drive. New tight end Ben Watson made a brilliant one-handed catch at the back of the end zone.

Let's stop right here and underline the fact that the Browns not only have upgraded their quarterback position -- but tight end is so much better than a year ago. Thank you, Evan Moore and Watson (two TD catches already in the preseason).

While the Browns still have trouble defending tight ends, Watson seems destined to give opposing safeties some fits.

Guess how many touchdown passes the tight end caught all of last season. Raise one finger and stop.

That's it, one.

With Delhomme at quarterback, the Browns will throw short a lot. They'll throw to running backs, to tight ends, to receivers running quick patterns rather than going deep. At some point, Delhomme will have to connect with his receivers down field -- as opposing defenses will see the same tendencies that fans do from the Browns offense.

But the heart of this offense will beat by running the ball and throwing passes that don't lead to interceptions.

Besides the early problems with snaps, the only other area of concern for Delhomme was two passes tipped by rushing linemen. Neither was intercepted, but those plays can produce turnovers.

Yes, the Rams are a lousy team. But Delhomme was 12-of-16 for 127 yards Saturday. That comes after 6-of-7 for 66 yards in Green Bay last week -- and no interceptions so far.

Enter Wallace. Isn't he fun to watch?

He can throw the ball deep -- easily. He also can bolt out of the pocket for a first down like a running back.

He is much different than Delhomme, and you have to wonder if the Browns will sometimes use Wallace as more than a backup or in a WildDawg formation. Wallace would be especially effective near the goal line because he runs so well and also delivers solid throws on the run.

He found Joshua Cribbs in the end zone for his third touchdown pass of the preseason.

It also helps that the Browns may have found another running back along with Jerome Harrison. Rookie Montario Hardesty is still out. But Peyton Hillis (added in the Brady Quinn deal) is a rampaging bull moose when he has those legs pumping and 240-pounds rambling. Put 250-pound blocking fullback Lawrence Vickers in front of him . . . and you almost feel sorry for the defense.

I said . . . almost.

But you can see this combination making Browns fans cheer and defenses wince when the Browns decide to keep the ball on the ground. Hillis also can catch the ball, as he showed with 118 receptions in 44 games at Arkansas -- and with the Browns this training camp.

But the real story on this night was more professional play from Delhomme and Wallace. This is not about nominating either quarterback for the Pro Bowl. But don't you feel much better about the situation than you did at any time last season?

I certainly feel quite relaxed now that Delhomme and Wallace are leading this offense.

all qbs will make mistakes, but you want them to limit their mistakes and be able to bounce back from them if they do make one. i was encouraged to see jake lead his team out of a bad situation and put some points on the board.

I feel a lot better about jake and or seneca under center than i have felt since the return of the browns..the playcalling by daboll was once again superb but the player execution was failsauce and thats what pre-season is for lets hope the first teams get in a rhythm before the season starts..we have no depth at many positions and will need to stay healthy to be competitive but we expect that in the middle of a rebuild..

Both daboll and ryan did a nice job of recalibrating on the fly and i believe we have a lot to look forward to, our future is bright..

McCoy nor Ratty had a prayer with the second string line and our second defensive line was shoved about like children as well...injury and depth should be and are the main concerns i have at this time..

Its hilarious that mangini is going to make them practice with wet balls and sprinklers on...and with the miscues i must say they earned it...hehehehe

Its hilarious that mangini is going to make them practice with wet balls and sprinklers on...and with the miscues i must say they earned it...hehehehe

you just know that's what ol mangini is going to do and that's a good thing. they got hit with a little adversity, but they did bounce back from it. now they just need to practice in those conditions to make sure those mistakes don't come up when the games count.

The QB story line this year is like breathing fresh air. I'm going to go nuts if I got to watch the "soap oprea" of Quinn & Anderson again. You tell we have two guy with a head for the game and years of knowing the game. We're going to be under the radar, the new era beings it's first step.

The QB story line this year is like breathing fresh air. I'm going to go nuts if I got to watch the "soap oprea" of Quinn & Anderson again. You tell we have two guy with a head for the game and years of knowing the game. We're going to be under the radar, the new era beings it's first step.

i like how both jake and seneca bring something different to the browns offense. jake is the starter and seneca (the backup qb) is there when we need to bring a different element to the field so we can catch the opposing do off guard.

Archived