THE BROWNS BOARD

Jake Delhomme

mopaji

By "one" I mean a pro QB. Jake doesn't have a rocket arm like DA nor does he have the ahhhh....ahhhh?....well....anything BQ does but he does do something that I haven't seen in a Browns QB since Bernie. He makes the correct decisions! The guy knows exactly where to go with the ball and I really believe that in this offense, without the temptation of forcing throws to Steve Smith, Jake will excel. I was never a fan of Jake's and until now, I considered him merely "not as bad" as what we have had. Well, after two preseson games I have seen the guy go to the right target on almost every play. I have seen him not just recognize the blitz/coverage but make his mind up where to go before the snap. DA and Brady could see the blitz but didn't know what to do about it. DA would throw it as hard as he could to a covered guy and BQ would start rolling out as soon as he got the snap. Jake is playing chess like a QB should. He reads the defense, he makes adjustments at the line, he visualizes his next three moves, and he makes the right decision. It feels really, really good to see that. And I haven't even mentioned how smooth that offense is running with him out there. These guys seem to just love him and if you see how he carries himself coupled with making the right decisions on the field, it's easy to see that this team will get behind him and that is the first step to succeeding on the offense.

PS. I have always been a big fan of intangable positive/negative evidence. Last night what may have looked like sloppy all around play early on, made me very, very hopeful for the upcoming year. Here's why. To me we looked like one of the NFL's better teams playing a lesser opponent. We came out complacent because we knew we were better. How many times have you seen Jacksonville lose to Indy by 3 points? Or Detroit losing to GB by 3? That's because better teams come in with a 'swagger' when they know they are better. Last night, we came in with that attitude. Instead of playing like an equally bad team starving for an irrelavent win, we came in like it was a day off. And we got it together quick enough to where if this were week 3 or 4 in the regular season, we would have taken that game. So, the "sloppy play" early essentially made me very happy!

It's clear we have very few spectacular players on this team.....BUT.....what Jake seems to be bringing is very important.

If he can throw for a high completion percentage, balance out the run game and keep mistakes to a minimum, then we're in better shape than the last 10 years.

If Heckert can put together solid drafts for the next two years (barring a lock-out) then we'll be back in business.

I don't think it's all that clear regarding spectacular players....

Joe Thomas

Josh Cribbs

Alex Mack

Sheldon Brown

Jerome Harrison

Phil Dawson

Ben Watson

All of them are at the very least above average at their positions. And when you watch Haden ad Ward (maybe Hardesty) they have all the makings of All-Pro DBs. This team is far and away more talented today than it has been since 99.

Joe Thomas

Josh Cribbs

Alex Mack

Sheldon Brown

Jerome Harrison

Phil Dawson

Ben Watson

All of them are at the very least above average at their positions. And when you watch Haden ad Ward (maybe Hardesty) they have all the makings of All-Pro DBs. This team is far and away more talented today than it has been since 99.

I agree mopaji, i think its safe to also add hillis and moore to that list and perhaps eric wright as well not to mention robiskie and momass whom could excel this year...we have a solid foundation with the first teams granted there is still a lot to improve on but we seriously lack (quality) depth in far to many positions and in the end thats what will hurt us this year..

We have a much improved team thats only going to get better with the next draft or two..and yeah i also suspect that overall this years team is the best we have had since the brownies returned and maybe better than the 94-96 team as well..

Joe Thomas

Josh Cribbs

Alex Mack

Sheldon Brown

Jerome Harrison

Phil Dawson

Ben Watson

Pontbriand should be on that list.

I do believe Jake will be a decent QB this year for the Browns, but he is going to struggle in division games. The Bengals, having arguably the best corner trio in the league, and the Steelers with Ike, Polamalu and the style of defense they play, he is going to struggle with those two. But Jake is going to be a good mentor for your Brownies young ones.

Jake makes good calls at the line, hits the right man, has control of the huddle and the playbook, and has good touch and accuracy on his throws. without mentioning his moxy and that he already has the respect of his team, we're still miles from where we were 8 months ago. B)

besides making great decisions and protecting the ball well so far, Jake also throws a very catchable ball, leading his receivers really well and keeping it away from the opponent. both these things have been absent from CLE football longer than i want to admit, and it adds additional catchability to the passes, offers some protection from hits after the catch, and further helps prevent against unnecessary INT's and fumbles like we've seen from the countless CLE QB's who haven't done these things.

he also does the small things like looking off and attempting to limit the cues the D can read off him. actually these are huge, often overlooked elements by young guys and it's really nice to have a guy at QB who does them naturally.

i couldn't be happier about his signing at this point.

i really didn't like the signing of jake at first either, but i went into this reasoning blinded by his last years performance. what i've seen of him so far i like. he looks poised behind our oline (which i consider to be the strong point of the team and becoming one of the best in the league) and as stated before is making the right decisions.

he also brings a real solid leadership ability which i haven't seen in any of our quarterbacks since bernie. he comes across as just one of the guys and is well liked by his teammates.

i say this jay glaser training camp show highlighting the browns:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/page/Jay-Glaz...ning-camp-party

i really like the direction of this team. i think we all now need to give the respect due eric mangini. fujita and delhomme will prove to be awesome pick ups on and off the field.

Yeah i really liked how effecitent hes been in the last two pre season games and thats excatly what im looking for he dosent have to be peyton manning or drew brees just run through your progressions and dont force the ball which was the major concern with him for the last two seasons...Keep the defense honest and pound the ball with all the depth we have at RB run it down the divison's throats and then throw in some wilddawg and delhomme and i like what ive seen

Archived