THE BROWNS BOARD

Kam Wimbley

Squintz

"Oakland's new quarterback led a long scoring drive on the first series of the game, Kamerion Wimbley had a strong game with four sacks and Slade Norris was a special teams standout Saturday night as the Raiders beat the Chicago Bears 32-17. "

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/r...0100821_OAK@CHI

Crazy. He always had the potential but wore out his welcome. Who did we end up getting for him anyway?

Colt McCoy.

Good luck to the guy. He didn't fit our defensive scheme, and we got decent compensation for him.

IMHO, except for his rookie season Wimbley was playing like a third round pick- certainly not what a stud OLB should look like. Once teams figured out he was a one trick pony with only an outside speed rush, he was neutralized. Maybe he's learned a new trick or two.

IMHO, except for his rookie season Wimbley was playing like a third round pick- certainly not what a stud OLB should look like. Once teams figured out he was a one trick pony with only an outside speed rush, he was neutralized. Maybe he's learned a new trick or two.

By the way, I was in that movie, One Trick Pony.

They filmed part of it at the Cleveland Agora. I spent a couple of hoursdoing the crowd scenes right in from of Paul Simon . He did talk to us. He was friendly, but shy. Not gregarious.

I think the raiders use a 4-3 base defense which is far more suited to wimplys playstyle of successful rushing only with little or no blocker interference ..same for DQJ he would be a rapist in a pure 4-3 base but can barely hold his own in a 3-4 base..

However now that ryan is moving us into a 34/43 hybrid defense system that may not reign true for jackson if he were out there..

I think the raiders use a 4-3 base defense which is far more suited to wimplys playstyle of rush with little or no blocker interference ..same for DQJ he would be a rapist in a pure 4-3 base but can barely hold his own in a 3-4 base..

However now that ryan is moving us into a 34/43 hybrid defense system that may not reign true for jackson if he were out there..

why do so many teams who run the 3-4 draft 4-3 players and try to convert them to the 3-4? i've never been a fan of doing that.

why do so many teams who run the 3-4 draft 4-3 players and try to convert them to the 3-4? i've never been a fan of doing that.

Because many of the better pass rushing DE's in college are too small to project to 4-3 DE but are just the right size for 3-4 OLB.

In the end Wimps sack totals may go up a bit but he is going to get manhandled in the running game making him a overall liability unless he just comes in on obvious passing downs.

The guy is a classic example of a situational pass rusher.

The 4-3 is the predominant defense used in High School & College ball, so it's a no-brainer. There just aren't many "3-4 ready" players available & that's not changing overnight. Converting players is that much more of a risk, but if you run a 3-4, it is a risk you have to take.

Mike

Seems to me there is a AFC North team that does a pretty fine job in that regard.

The 4-3 is the predominant defense used in High School & College ball, so it's a no-brainer. There just aren't many "3-4 ready" players available & that's not changing overnight. Converting players is that much more of a risk, but if you run a 3-4, it is a risk you have to take.

Mike

it was something i never understood, but you pointed out a few things that i never knew about. thanks for the explanation.

Archived