THE BROWNS BOARD

minor league football team

WRREBEL

I have a question. Obviously men much smarter and gayer than me have thought about the pros and cons and have decided it wouldn't work. I was thinking about it and it seemed like it would actually make sence.

Each team having a minor league team.

Here are my thoughts behind it,

First it would give teams and chance to develop players and keep there rights. How many times do you see a guy bounce around before making it. Or a player who doesn't have time and is out of the nfl. I know thee the ufl,cfl,wfl ect, but those leagues aren't the same rules or marketted by the nfl.

2nd, player devopment, how cool would it be to have cold mccoy get some action this year where he is not overwelmed. Practice squad is gay cause anyone could claim them.

3 best 53 man roster, right now players make the team because they were a high draft pick or considered to have upside. Instead the best players would be in the nfl and other designated.

4 the cities would benefit. Right now here in sacramento we have the gayest sac mountain lions team with dennis green as coach. It would be much cooler to have a league supported by the nfl. Players would play with much more incentives.

I would like to here other opionions on it, more the cons and why they don't do it

junkyard- we are so on the same mind set.

I was thinking about coaches also, plus learning systems.. I also think that the it would be more popular than the current leagues that have failed or are currently out there. It would create jobs and give cities that don't have a team something to do.

the biggest problem is when they would play, they couldnt play on sundays because of competition.

It would make a bunch of kids who didn't make the team happy. It would make a smaller market happy by having a class AAA, AA or A minor league team. It would generate revenue for the city that had the team by ticket sales, etc. I think it would be a fantastic idea. Which means it will probably never happen.

It would make a bunch of kids who didn't make the team happy. It would make a smaller market happy by having a class AAA, AA or A minor league team. It would generate revenue for the city that had the team by ticket sales, etc. I think it would be a fantastic idea. Which means it will probably never happen.

i think you're making a big assumption in that it would make a lot of revenue for that city and the team could afford to take it on. The minor leagues of baseball works because the money flows WAY differently than in say the NFL or NBA. There's a strong reason why the NBA D-league is all but about to have to stop. It seems to make sense, but in practicality it doesn't.

the weird part is the NFL has so much revenue that lets say it broke even or worse case lost money. It would still add value. Plus with the NFL marketting it, i think it could be successful. There are a lot of exciting college players who don't get the chance to show there skills. Some one should be pitching it right now as there negotiating the new CBA.

They had a minor league in the NFL Europe. Sure, it wasn't a 32 team league with each team having its own minor league team, but they all got to send several youngsters over for developmental purposes, and even got roster exemptions for them almost up to the final round of cuts.

And the NFL Europe didn't produce a ton of success stories. Its still 3's and 4's (and sometimes 5's) playing against 3's, 4's and 5's.

The real "minor league" is College Division IA (FBS).

the weird part is the NFL has so much revenue that lets say it broke even or worse case lost money. It would still add value. Plus with the NFL marketting it, i think it could be successful. There are a lot of exciting college players who don't get the chance to show there skills. Some one should be pitching it right now as there negotiating the new CBA.

again man, you're making a big assumption that the NFL would spend a lot of money to market the product and it would add value. Like not trying to sound rude but i'm sure the NFL has paid highly skilled people a lot of money to figure out the viability of it, and I'm going to trust them when they've said several times it would not work in the states. There's a lot of cost variables you aren't considering.

You don't sound rude. Like you and I mentioned I'm sure there are people way more qualifed then me. I still haven't heard any good cons though.

I just gave you two, read above.

NFL Europe failed as a business venture, and failed to develop any talent. That was essentially the NFL's developmental league, and it failed miserably.

Secondly, why create a developmental league, when College ball is essentially the NFL's developmental league.

The major difference between the leagues (NBA, MLB, & NHL) that have developmental leagues, is that guys right out of (and sometimes still in) High School start playing in them. They develop them from about 18 to 22 (maybe even longer in some cases) and then bring them up to the big leagues. These kids don't play much college basketball, Baseball or Hockey. The NFL has college ball as their developmental league. You don't want to take a 22 to 24 year old and subject him to 2 to 4 years of further developmental playing, because then by the time he's panned out (which is a highly suspect occurrence) they'd be 24 to 28 years old, with only 2 to 4 years of prime value left.

College football must not be a very good developmental league then, since a good number of the big names in the NCAA don't pan out in the NFL.

NCAA football is as much a developmental league as high school football is. Most, if not all, NCAA programs primarily focus on winning, rather than developing a player. You never see a NCAA coach fired because his players never made it as big name NFL stars. No, coaches are fired because they can't win the National Championship, a conference championship, or even manage to string together some winning seasons. Or because they like to lock players in closets, but that's beside the point.

What the OP was suggesting is a league owned by the NFL, wherein each "minor league" team runs the same playbook and uses the same terminology as their NFL affiliate. You know, something that's completely unlike the NCAA in almost every way, shape and form. And not a league in Europe either, where they call soccer "football" and our football "crap". (Thank you, Kenny Mayne). Personally, I'm for the idea, if you couldn't tell already.

And I think with the way the NFL markets itself, their minor league system would be a tremendous success. As mentioned previously, some of these not-quite major market cities would love to host an NFL affiliated team, and would throw boatloads of money whichever way was needed in order to acquire one.

It could work.

NFL Europe failed as a business venture, and failed to develop any talent. That was essentially the NFL's developmental league, and it failed miserably.

Secondly, why create a developmental league, when College ball is essentially the NFL's developmental league.

The major difference between the leagues (NBA, MLB, & NHL) that have developmental leagues, is that guys right out of (and sometimes still in) High School start playing in them. They develop them from about 18 to 22 (maybe even longer in some cases) and then bring them up to the big leagues. These kids don't play much college basketball, Baseball or Hockey. The NFL has college ball as their developmental league. You don't want to take a 22 to 24 year old and subject him to 2 to 4 years of further developmental playing, because then by the time he's panned out (which is a highly suspect occurrence) they'd be 24 to 28 years old, with only 2 to 4 years of prime value left.

Thaak is right for the reasons listed. A developmental league implies investment by the NFL owners. If there were clear business reasons for them to be interested, they would be.

BTW, the first real farm system belonged to the Cleveland Browns. The original owner was Art McBride. Art owned a taxi cab company and "employed" several developmental players. That group became known as his taxi squad (a commonly used term for non-roster practice players).

Thaak is right for the reasons listed. A developmental league implies investment by the NFL owners. If there were clear business reasons for them to be interested, they would be.

BTW, the first real farm system belonged to the Cleveland Browns. The original owner was Art McBride. Art owned a taxi cab company and "employed" several developmental players. That group became known as his taxi squad (a commonly used term for non-roster practice players).

His name was Mickey, don't you dare call him Art. There are too many shitty Art's involved in our history as it is, haha.

I have a question. Obviously men much smarter and gayer than me have thought about the pros and cons and have decided it wouldn't work. I was thinking about it and it seemed like it would actually make sence.

Each team having a minor league team.

Here are my thoughts behind it,

First it would give teams and chance to develop players and keep there rights. How many times do you see a guy bounce around before making it. Or a player who doesn't have time and is out of the nfl. I know thee the ufl,cfl,wfl ect, but those leagues aren't the same rules or marketted by the nfl.

2nd, player devopment, how cool would it be to have cold mccoy get some action this year where he is not overwelmed. Practice squad is gay cause anyone could claim them.

3 best 53 man roster, right now players make the team because they were a high draft pick or considered to have upside. Instead the best players would be in the nfl and other designated.

4 the cities would benefit. Right now here in sacramento we have the gayest sac mountain lions team with dennis green as coach. It would be much cooler to have a league supported by the nfl. Players would play with much more incentives.

I would like to here other opionions on it, more the cons and why they don't do it

That Euro League was supposed to essentially be a minor league when it was operating. the NFL owned and operated it.

The UFL is trying to ally itself with the NFL. Don't know how well that is working out. But, I agree, having a minor league would be good. And how about having these teams be part of it:

The Canton Bulldogs could be the minor league team for the Browns

The Dayton Triangles for the Bengals.

The Pottsville Maroons for the Eagles.

The Duluth Eskimos for the Vikings

The Rock Island Independents for the Bears

The Providence Steamroller for the Pats

The Racine Tornadoes for the Packers

The Muncie Flyers for the Colts

The Staten Island Stapletons for The Jets

The Evansville Crimson Giants for the Rams

The Louisville Colonels for the Titans

The Toledo ?? for the Lions

The Newark Tornadoes for the Giants

The LA Dons for the Chargers

The Rochester Jeffersons for the Bills

etc. etc.

these are all former teams of the NFL when it was too a good part played in smaller cities. This would harken back to the tradition of the league....and why not?

junkyard- we are so on the same mind set.

I was thinking about coaches also, plus learning systems.. I also think that the it would be more popular than the current leagues that have failed or are currently out there. It would create jobs and give cities that don't have a team something to do.

the biggest problem is when they would play, they couldnt play on sundays because of competition.

Wednesday nights. Why not?

Let's start with the main reason it failed: IT WAS IN F**KING EUROPE!!!

Yes, the NFL wants a developmental league it does not have to pay for. The main one being the colleges, but they also use Canada and the Arena League.

Last word I heard on it last year was the NFL wants to outright buy it or be majority owner. While that guarantees the best chance available for a 2nd League to succeed they don't quite seem to be there yet. I imagine giving it time something'll be worked out, or NFL will just create their own.

Excellent pick. Large population of rabid football fans, home of football greatness and close enough to Cleveland they can pack the stadium. They could also use the bubble at Massilon High School for practice. Ever seen that thing? It's competitive with NFL practice fields.

Ehhh, they have the population but the closest stadium they could pack can only house half of Fawcett Field, plus i'm not sure how that'd work. Maybe if they play the game at the U of Cincy? I'd go with the Columbus Panhandles. Large metro area, tons of Bengals fans and a better stadium.

Meh, good thought but Pottsville has a small population, isn't very football starved and it'd be hard to get fairweather Philly fans who bitch about "only" making the NFC Championship regulary to go there. Plus, where would they play?

Bad idea, MN has a hard enough time getting fans to attend Vikings games, even when they're winning. I'd recommend they put their D-Franchise in Fargo. Population of 200,000 in the area, football fans, close to MN so you'll get diehard Vikings fans and their Universities stadium is decent.

Could work, they'd draw pretty small crowds though, depending on where they could play their games.

That'd be tough to sell ith two NFL teams and to NFL-Jr teams in Ohio.

L.A. is the worst when it comes to... Well, just about everything including football fans. This would be an expansion franchise i'd locate in Las Vegas. Large population, stadium capacity of 36,000(which would sell out weekly), lots of football starved fans. Actually i'd go with Yuma AZ for the Chargers. Population of 80,000 on the border of SoCal so alot of Chargers fans would also go there. Leave L.V. for the L.A. Jaguars.

Maybe, or give Toronto their farm team and kill two birds with one stone. Toronto technically gets an NFL franchise and Buffalo doesn't lose one.

Well, as I said, I was trying to tie the new "minor league" teams in with teams that once actually were NFL franchises. I believe Toledo was also called the Maroons. Sure, this no doubt would not work in all situations.

In reality, for a minor league system to work for the NFL, they would probably have to do it like baseball and allow people to join it out of high school. But, as mentioned, the NFL doesn't want to pay for a farm system when they can now get one for free, and I am sure they do not want to step on the toes of the tradition in this country that is college football. There is no such issue in baseball or hockey.

Archived