THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets release Laveranues Coles

CLEVELandMILIDH

We should be all over this guy

Not on your life. Dude is done in the NFL. We didn't want him before he signed with the jets a few weeks ago, and we won't want him now. Last season was a dud for him. If Engram is on the roster bubble, why the hell would we sign Coles?

A. Bryant was just released by Cincy, so maybe we can get him for cheap.

Edit: For the second straight year, the Cincinnati Bengals have wasted a bunch of money on a free-agent receiver.

Coincidentally, both men find themselves on the open market on the same afternoon.

Less than an hour ago, the Jets cut Laveranues Coles, who received $9.7 million for one season of football in Cincinnati. As it turns out, Antonio Bryant received $7.85 million for zero seasons.

The team has announced today the decision to part ways with Bryant.

Signed in March to a four-year, $28 million deal after back-to-back visits from Bryant and Terrell Owens, the Bengals avoided throwing $3 million in good money after $7.85 million in bad by dumping Bryant.

The good news for the Bengals? They won't have to worry about Bryant getting upset by not getting enough passes. And they won't have to worry about T.O. complaining about the amount of production he's generating on a base salary of only $2 million in comparison to what would have been more than $10 million to Bryant.

As a vested veteran, Bryant becomes an unrestricted free agent. He has earned nearly $18 million in less than a year; with that kind of cash in the bank, it remains to be seen whether he'll be ready to play in 2010 for something closer to the veteran minimum.

He's 32 and had like 50 receptions last year. Its not like he has nothing left, and he know's the offense from being with Mangini with the Jets. He'd be a great 3rd or 4th receiver, if Robiskie or MoMass go down who's gonna step in? Engram's 37, he ain't the answer. Cribbs ain't ready and that would limit KR and WildDawg effectiveness. Seems like a no brainer, if we wanna win games now.

I think our receivers are fine, not great, but they catch this year. Cribbs is developing very well. We don't need this guy.

I don't know when the other QB's came in, but 14 different people caught a ball last game. That's pretty good. We need some help on D.

I guess it's a moot point anyway

Laveranues Coles: "I think I'm done"

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 29, 2010 3:20 PM ET

When we passed along the news today that the Jets have released wide receiver Laveranues Coles, we noted that it could be the end of his career.

Coles says he thinks it is.

"I think I'm done,'' Coles told the Star Ledger. "I don't want to become one of those journeyman football players. I don't need the money."

As a vested veteran, Coles' entire 2010 salary will be guaranteed if he's on a Week One roster. Coles said Jets coach Rex Ryan told him the Jets would be interested in bringing him back after Week One, but Coles sounds like a man who's ready to move on.

"My spirits aren't down," Coles said. "I get to start thinking about life after football. I'm excited about the future. A lot of people think athletes are depressed when it comes to the end but that's not the case with me.''

If Coles is done, the historical record will show that he played 10 NFL seasons with the Jets, Bengals and Redskins, was selected to one Pro Bowl, and caught 674 passes for 8,609 yards and 49 touchdowns.

I think our receivers are fine, not great, but they catch this year. Cribbs is developing very well. We don't need this guy.

I don't know when the other QB's came in, but 14 different people caught a ball last game. That's pretty good. We need some help on D.

I agree we are ok on WRs we do desperately need to add a speedster by means of draft or trade but not someone elses rejects..

He's 32 and had like 50 receptions last year. Its not like he has nothing left, and he know's the offense from being with Mangini with the Jets. He'd be a great 3rd or 4th receiver, if Robiskie or MoMass go down who's gonna step in? Engram's 37, he ain't the answer. Cribbs ain't ready and that would limit KR and WildDawg effectiveness. Seems like a no brainer, if we wanna win games now.

There is no guarantee that Engram even makes the roster. We don't need Coles or Bryant. All they will do is take reps away from developing our young talent. And they aren't dynamic enough to bring in and think they will actually change a thing.

No is my answer. No. No. No.

A. Bryant was just released by Cincy, so maybe we can get him for cheap.

Edit: For the second straight year, the Cincinnati Bengals have wasted a bunch of money on a free-agent receiver.

Coincidentally, both men find themselves on the open market on the same afternoon.

Less than an hour ago, the Jets cut Laveranues Coles, who received $9.7 million for one season of football in Cincinnati. As it turns out, Antonio Bryant received $7.85 million for zero seasons.

The team has announced today the decision to part ways with Bryant.

Signed in March to a four-year, $28 million deal after back-to-back visits from Bryant and Terrell Owens, the Bengals avoided throwing $3 million in good money after $7.85 million in bad by dumping Bryant.

The good news for the Bengals? They won't have to worry about Bryant getting upset by not getting enough passes. And they won't have to worry about T.O. complaining about the amount of production he's generating on a base salary of only $2 million in comparison to what would have been more than $10 million to Bryant.

As a vested veteran, Bryant becomes an unrestricted free agent. He has earned nearly $18 million in less than a year; with that kind of cash in the bank, it remains to be seen whether he'll be ready to play in 2010 for something closer to the veteran minimum.

mike brown..................................SUPER GENIUS! ol mike is at it again. pulling out his pistol and shooting himself in the foot.

mike brown..................................SUPER GENIUS! ol mike is at it again. pulling out his pistol and shooting himself in the foot.

I am just glad we are no longer making these kinds of signings. We will be ok at wr with who we have. We have an above average TE group and now add Hillis into the mix, we will be just fine.

I am just glad we are no longer making these kinds of signings. We will be ok at wr with who we have. We have an above average TE group and now add Hillis into the mix, we will be just fine.

I disagree. If our defense doesn't improve we will need to score a ton of points to win. If we cannot come up with a deep threat to stretch the field good defenses will shut our current offense down. Bryant when healthy has proven he can stretch the field. I would like to get him if we could get him cheap. Coles cannot stretch the field so I am good with letting him retire or go elsewhere. Just my opinion.

I would stay away for sure. Good guy. As a player he's at his sunset. If he isn't good enough to start for the Browns (and I don't think that he is) then he needs to play STs and I doubt at this point in his career he would want to. He certainly isn't going to stretch the field. Would you rather take a roster spot up with a guy playing out the string or would you rather keep one of these younger guys to develop?

Perhaps it's not the best analogy but look at what is happening in Minnesota with Favre. Jackson's growth (if there is any to be had) is stunted. Rosenfels will get zero reps as the #3. With Favre on the roster not only are they not developing the young guy in Jackson but they're not even sure what's in store for them after the one season rental of Brett. They have a young QB that they like in Joe Webb and they will either be forced to keep 4 QBs at the expense of another position or hope he clears waivers and survives on the practice squad, which he won't.

Here's an article about it. Can anyone imagine if Eric Mangini replied "none of your business" to the question "how many QBs are you going to carry?"?

I disagree. If our defense doesn't improve we will need to score a ton of points to win. If we cannot come up with a deep threat to stretch the field good defenses will shut our current offense down. Bryant when healthy has proven he can stretch the field. I would like to get him if we could get him cheap. Coles cannot stretch the field so I am good with letting him retire or go elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Problem is- Bryant isn't healthy, hasn't been since last season, and may never be again. The Bungle Brass may not be the brightest bulbs in the NFL, but they're effectively saying they think they can get more production out of Shipley than Bryant. Considering the ton of money they flushed down the toilet releasing AB, that should tell you all you need to know- at least one team in the NFL considers he's not even #3 receiver good, at Franchise tag money.

+ him and his agent whining that $7 million ain't enough for him showing up and soaking his knee every day in a whirlpool, (don't you wish you had that kind of job?) says STEER CLEAR.

Archived