THE BROWNS BOARD

The First Half Tells A Truer Story Of the Browns vs Lions preseason game

SJ_Browns

This objective article was actually written by.........................TONY GROSSI! Hell has officially frozen over.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...effort_fro.html

DETROIT -- You can pick at a lot of things in a preseason game and interpret them any which way you want.

Saturday, the Browns lost three more fumbles -- giving them eight turnovers over their last two practice games -- and allowed three touchdown drives in the second half. The Detroit Lions came away with a 35-27 victory.

But at this time of year, the first half tells a truer story of where a team may be heading.

With the regulars in, the Browns scored on three of their five possessions, running off 41 plays to Detroit's 18, and held a 24-14 lead at halftime. One of the possessions was a Jerome Harrison fumble on first down, which was returned 14 yards for a Lions' touchdown.

The Browns also scored when end Brian Schaefering stripped the ball from running back Kevin Smith and Eric Wright returned it 44 yards for a touchdown.

Detroit played hard on defense and made a lot of physical hits, but the Lions don't look like they're going to be stopping many teams this year.

Jake Delhomme had his third straight 100-plus passer rating performance, completing 20 of 25 passes for 152 yards, with one short touchdown to fullback Lawrence Vickers. Delhomme operated the no-huddle with constant formation shifting and motion.

Perhaps the best sign of all was that Delhomme completed seven of nine passes thrown to wide receivers Josh Cribbs, Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi. Cribbs had a nice catch of 30 yards on the left sideline.

"I thought Jake was outstanding tonight and he's been outstanding all preseason," said coach Eric Mangini.

The Browns also inserted Seneca Wallace for two plays on the first series. On one, he lined up in a half-shotgun formation -- a pistol -- and handed off to Peyton Hillis. All of which gives the Tampa Bay Buccaneers something else to look at while preparing for the teams' season opener on Sept. 12.

"It's a whole other set of problems for defense when Seneca's in there," Mangini said.

Delhomme said, "Things are going well. We did some decent things. Guys made a lot of good plays. We've got to just keep on going forward."

As in their previous game against St. Louis, the Browns' defense came out slowly. In the case of trying to defend fleet rookie running back Jahvid Best, the Browns were real slow. Best ran the ball 51 yards through the heart of the Browns' defense on the first play from scrimmage before Wright brought him down.

"He just busted a gap," said rookie safety T.J. Ward. "He didn't score. Now we have to work on getting better in the red zone."

Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford connected with Bryant Johnson on a fade over Sheldon Brown for the touchdown from seven yards on the Lions' third play.

The Lions also moved 60 yards on nine plays on the opening series of the second half. They did it with Best on the sideline.

"It's tough because we didn't play the game we wanted to play," said Brown. "Obviously we wanted to stop the run and then eliminate Calvin Johnson from having big plays and then try to pressure the quarterback."

Stafford wasn't sacked. He completed 13-of-17 for 141 yards and one touchdown. Calvin Johnson had two catches for 42 yards, but no scores.

In three practice games, the Browns have allowed opposing starting quarterbacks to complete 30 of 36 passes.

"We've got to fix it defensively," Mangini said. "I don't think we're that far off, but you can't be a little bit off. A small margin of error leads to big plays instead of sacks and turnovers."

It's probably that Mangini and coordinator Rob Ryan are concealing their true intentions on defense. Last night, linebackers Eric Barton and David Bowens received a lot of time with the first team. There was little blitzing.

In fact, Detroit made all the noise on the field.

Lions linebacker Julian Peterson nailed receiver Carlton Mitchell after a 26-yard run on an end-around and sent the rookie flying out of bounds. Detroit's prize rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh drew a penalty for grabbing Delhomme by the helmet and throwing him to the ground. Also, defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch drew a penalty for a blow to Delhomme's head.

But the hit that stopped the game in its tracks and brought a profound hush to Ford Field was made on Browns special teams ace Nick Sorensen. He received a double helmet hit to the head, courtesy of Lions Caleb Campbell and Andre Fluellen on a Cleveland kickoff.

Sorensen was immobilized on a wooden stretcher and carted off as players from both teams knelt in prayer. By the end of the night, Sorensen was released from a local hospital after tests were negative and he returned home with the team.

Wallace relieved Delhomme to start the second half and put up three points in two series. The second one ended on an Evan Moore fumble after a catch. The Lions turned that miscue into a touchdown and also scored after Colt McCoy had the ball stripped by end Willie Young.

McCoy was able to find some rhythm in this game for the first time. He completed 10 of 14 passes for 76 yards, but was unable to threaten the end zone on his last two possessions.

i can't tell you how many writers and analysts have only picked and chosen what parts of this game they wanted to discuss. i guess they all forgot that the browns d made matt and his lions (the strarters) punt twice and forced a fumble that was returend for a td. the same brilliant work that we saw for the green bay game when most "experts" conveniently forgot the browns d made aarron and gbs starters punt on their last possession (before the back ups came in) and forced a fumble.

we all know the browns d needs improvement in certain areas and it's a work in progress, but geez. try and tell the story exactly the way it happened.

an encouraging quote from jake:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ts_to_turn.html

Delhomme sensational: Jake Delhomme continues to play like a seasoned NFL quarterback, completing 20 of 25 attempts for 152 yards and one touchdown for a 105.3 rating. Overall, he's completing 79.2 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and no interceptions for a 110.5 rating.

"It's funny, I got text from my wife. She said, 'good job, that smile is back,'" Delhomme said after the game. "We've been together for a long time, since we were in high school. I believe in having fun. I'm having whole lot of fun right now."

Said Mangini: "I thought he was outstanding. I think he's been outstanding the whole preseason. The way he gets us into a good play when we're not necessarily in the best situation, that's what I'm looking for."

Delhomme threw a beautiful sideline pass to Josh Cribbs and a 5-yard TD to a wide-open Lawrence Vickers in the end zone. He spread the ball around to 10 receivers in his one half of play.

it's good to know jake is having fun again. that could turn into some great plays and some nice wins this upcoming season.

The Browns did look solid in the first half. Jake is in a zone in the last 3 games. Hope he can come out of the gate like that. Offense has so many more weapons than in the last serveral years. Now if Ryan can get the defense to hold up it's end. Glad the last preseason game is this week, chomping at the bit to get the season rolling!

It helps us to fly under the ((( radar ))) :lol:

Unfortunately we wont be under the radar long...with delhomme at the wheel and looking in form the browns are potentially a credible threat and our first 2 opponents need a good start as bad as we do and will not underestimate us at all..secret agent mangini has done a good job of keeping us under the radar unlike ryan and his jets who have painted a crosshair on their backs..however if the browns come out and play like i suspect they may we will be 2-0 and the media light will finally start to shine on the way to long defunct browns and mangini will have to fight and scratch for every victory...

At this point my biggest fear isnt the defense which is more revamped than it appears and will jell and adjust as it goes along, its the unknown daboll factor..is there extra scoops and toppings on that vanilla or are we seeing everything dabs has to offer like last year?

We cant win with cribbs, watson, vickers and hillis on runs, screens and dumps alone, we will need to have/develop a credible long and intermediate threat in order to keep teams stretched out some..we have the QBs, TEs, RBs and o-line to get it done and everyone is catching the ball now lets just hope dabs continues to coordinate well and has a plan..

I have been quite impressed with mangini and especially dabs thusfar now its rob ryan that needs to kick it up a notch but hey he is a ryan so he will kick it up 2 notches instead....hehehehe

Unfortunately we wont be under the radar long...with delhomme at the wheel and looking in form the browns are potentially a credible threat and our first 2 opponents need a good start as bad as we do and will not underestimate us at all..secret agent mangini has done a good job of keeping us under the radar unlike ryan and his jets who have painted a crosshair on their backs..however if the browns come out and play like i suspect they may we will be 2-0 and the media light will finally start to shine on the way to long defunct browns and mangini will have to fight and scratch for every victory...

At this point my biggest fear isnt the defense which is more revamped than it appears and will jell and adjust as it goes along, its the unknown daboll factor..is there extra scoops and toppings on that vanilla or are we seeing everything dabs has to offer like last year?

We cant win with cribbs, watson, vickers and hillis on runs, screens and dumps alone, we will need to have/develop a credible long and intermediate threat in order to keep teams stretched out some..we have the QBs, TEs, RBs and o-line to get it done and everyone is catching the ball now lets just hope dabs continues to coordinate well and has a plan..

I have been quite impressed with mangini and especially dabs thusfar now its rob ryan that needs to kick it up a notch but hey he is a ryan so he will kick it up 2 notches instead....hehehehe

I agree. We seem to have decent possession receivers but no one has emerged with the speed to extend defensive coverage. I was not a big BE fan but he would be a huge asset at the moment.

I couldn't care less about BE not being here.

I mean, the Browns have changed this team - towards players with CHARACTER who LOVE THE GAME.

The work ethic and love for the game puts BE on the other list. You can see the difference, their excitement

to be out there as Browns is there every second.

The Browns have had their fill of exceptionally talented players NOT GIVING a fricken about football, about the Browns,

about giving it their all, about winning, about working hard. Superior talents who DON'T CARE are an anchor hanging off the boat.

It doesn't make sense to pine for a gone big talent who didn't give a damn.

This team is going to be special, we'll see it in their play. Still need some additions? Sure, to be a superior team.

But these BROWNS are going to make us all proud with their desire for working very hard to be that winning team we are all looking for.

Just watch the difference in having PLAYERS who are all together who love the game and work to win,

as compared to prima donnas who couldn't care less, it's about THEM and their paychecks, and waiting until they can go

go the big city so they can party a lot more, and get those big endorsements.

I couldn't care less about BE not being here.

I mean, the Browns have changed this team - towards players with CHARACTER who LOVE THE GAME.

The work ethic and love for the game puts BE on the other list. You can see the difference, their excitement

to be out there as Browns is there every second.

The Browns have had their fill of exceptionally talented players NOT GIVING a fricken about football, about the Browns,

about giving it their all, about winning, about working hard. Superior talents who DON'T CARE are an anchor hanging off the boat.

It doesn't make sense to pine for a gone big talent who didn't give a damn.

This team is going to be special, we'll see it in their play. Still need some additions? Sure, to be a superior team.

But these BROWNS are going to make us all proud with their desire for working very hard to be that winning team we are all looking for.

Just watch the difference in having PLAYERS who are all together who love the game and work to win,

as compared to prima donnas who couldn't care less, it's about THEM and their paychecks, and waiting until they can go

go the big city so they can party a lot more, and get those big endorsements.

i hope you are 100% correct

Browns look pretty decent so far.... Jake has had success but a lot of credit goes to the Backs and receivers making 4 yr to 8 yr passes go for 11 and 15 and 20 yr gains. Not sold on Jake YET. I am intrigued however. But your protection solid... running game kinda blaaa so far. Defense a little shady at times. I think they can play with most teams at this point. Then its Turnovers and consistency that will determine how successful this year is.

The Browns did look solid in the first half. Jake is in a zone in the last 3 games. Hope he can come out of the gate like that. Offense has so many more weapons than in the last serveral years. Now if Ryan can get the defense to hold up it's end. Glad the last preseason game is this week, chomping at the bit to get the season rolling!

jake is a smart vet who's learned alot in the game. so far, he's taking what the d gives him and taking shots downfield when the opportunity arrives. he had a couple of nice strikes downfield last saturday, esp. that 30 yd pass to cribbs at the sideline. we'll see what happens when the playbook is opened when the games count.

and how about cribbs with the improved wr play? the way he got possesion of the football and tapped his feet inbounds on that 30 yd pass was very impressive. i think he'll be a solid wr when the browns need him.

I agree SJ . The kid could probably learn any job on the team if challenged . Since he got paid he will be in a new zone this year . I can't wait to see him operate with the offense .

As far as Jake . I have always liked him and was just blown away by us getting him . I think this year has all kinds of possibilities .

Go Browns

I agree SJ . The kid could probably learn any job on the team if challenged . Since he got paid he will be in a new zone this year . I can't wait to see him operate with the offense .

As far as Jake . I have always liked him and was just blown away by us getting him . I think this year has all kinds of possibilities .

Go Browns

agreed. guys like cribbs are going to make jake's job alot easier.

Archived