THE BROWNS BOARD

David Bowens future uncertain

CLEVELandMILIDH

Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Browns linebacker David Bowens isn't sure he'll make the final roster on Saturday.

CLEVELAND -- Browns linebacker David Bowens, who sparked the defense over the last half of 2009, thinks he might get cut on Saturday in the final trim to 53.

"I'm uncertain,'' he said. "Sometimes you get a sense of what's going on by what you're doing. I mean, in eight years I don't think I've played in the fourth quarter.''

Bowens, a 12-year veteran, was referring to the fact that the Browns had him on the field in Detroit all the way into the fourth quarter, when most of the backups were playing. He admitted it was tough to take.

"Yes, considering what I've done and what I've tried to do for this team and my teammates,'' he said. "It was surprising. But I went out there and did it. I'm never going to cry about anything.''

Bowens said he still wants to play and if the Browns cut him "I'll have to look at other options.''

Over the final eight games of last season, after Eric Barton and D'Qwell Jackson went down with injuries, Bowens moved inside, made the defensive calls and played some of the best ball of his career. He made 38 tackles, five sacks (second on the team overall), forced one fumble and intercepted a pass.

"I feel like I still have a lot of football left in me,'' he said.

Yeah. Bowens looks mean as with his grey bits in his beard. I prefer him over Jackson.

I can't see Jackson getting 5 sacks this year (even if he was fit).

I'm a little upset they cut Lawson, I thought that guy looked good returning kicks and punts, would serve as a great backup to Cribbs and could possibly be developed into something more.

Perhaps character issues were involved, as I do recall him being arrested for something I think.

Or he'll be put on the practice squad.

When rogers is in rotation we have 5 out of 7 of our front 7 that are over 30 yr old with only gocong and roth under 30...add barton and bowens to the rotation and at times we could have 7 of 7 over 30...

We got to get younger than barton or bowens on our front 7 both starters and backups people...these big guys already wear out quick add their age in there and its a potential disaster by the 4th quarter.

Schaefering looks good. Obviously Rubin, but after that the D-Line does look old.

Roth, Maiava, Gocong, Bernard, Costanzo, Trusnik and hopefully Veikune form a good LB core for the next few years.

But without the real need for speed - I think the D-Line at least can play a fair bit longer.

I'm a little upset they cut Lawson, I thought that guy looked good returning kicks and punts, would serve as a great backup to Cribbs and could possibly be developed into something more.

Perhaps character issues were involved, as I do recall him being arrested for something I think.

He may make the practice squad. Keep in mind that Haden is a pretty good kick returner if needed. Our defensive backfield is pretty deep right now & his off field issues sure didn't help him.

Mike

Yeah, he seemed like a decent play to me, but I think th eoff-the-field thing coupled with our added talent in the secondary added up to his demise.

Zombo

--Thought Bowens was solid last year, haven't even considered he could be cut...

If the guy was good enough he would still be here.

As a fringe player you better stay clean. He didn't so it made for a easy decision.

I am not going to sweat it...does it really make much difference which 3rd string guy is forced on to the field?? I mean beat is beat. Does it matter much if it is by 3 yards or 5 yards? At that point all you are hoping for is a poor throw.

since they cut Lawson it sounds like they'll keep 4 true cornerbacks (Wright, Brown, Haden, McDonald) and Adams who can play corner or safety. I wonder who they'll keep instead if they let Bowens go. It's tough having to overcome injury and the natural decline of your game with age like he's had to, but I think he's more valuable than a younger guy with little upside like Veikune, especially with Jackson on the rocks for a few weeks.

I think he's more valuable than a younger guy with little upside like Veikune

I dont know if im building a team and I had to chose between a 33 year old LB, or my second round pick from a year ago...the writings on the wall

Mangini has said that Veikune has impressed him on the deffensive side the same way that Robiskie has impressed him on the offensive side during the offseason. It's not like he's not getting better, going from your hand in the dirt to standing up and being in pass coverage is a hugh transition. He may or may not be able to do it, but you dont give up on him after a year.

I like to think that Bowens singlehandedly won us that Steelers game last year, even though realistically he didn't. He batted down the 4th down pass from Ben to end it. I like him alot and I hope he stays on board.

He really did though. He broke up that pass at the end but he also stopped a run up the middle on 3rd and short, had 2 sacks I think, and was in on alot of other plays. Probably one of his career games.

He looked really bad in that last preseason game though and I'm not sure if he's still coming back from injury or not, but yeah I like him over Barton I think.

Lawson couldn't do ANYTHING besides return. His nickname in defensive meetings was the "human completion". I think that says it all.

I dont know if im building a team and I had to chose between a 33 year old LB, or my second round pick from a year ago...the writings on the wall

Mangini has said that Veikune has impressed him on the deffensive side the same way that Robiskie has impressed him on the offensive side during the offseason. It's not like he's not getting better, going from your hand in the dirt to standing up and being in pass coverage is a hugh transition. He may or may not be able to do it, but you dont give up on him after a year.

yeah, but we're talking about dropping a guy who started basically every game for us last season and played well and keeping a young guy who hasn't done anything in his two preseasons and has never been active for a regular season game. It's not like they can't stash Veikune on the practice squad either.

yeah, but we're talking about dropping a guy who started basically every game for us last season and played well and keeping a young guy who hasn't done anything in his two preseasons and has never been active for a regular season game. It's not like they can't stash Veikune on the practice squad either.

I think you've pretty much encapsulated the whole argument. First, I wonder why we're talking Bowens and not Barton. They're both slow as crap but I think Bowens kept this defense together last season. One thing we're lacking at LB (and on d in general) is speed and I think that we're trying to avoid having a team full of lumbering LBs.

I think bowens has a lot of ball left in him too, in the backyard with his children and or grandchildren maybe...

I watch replays of these games over and over and our overall age is what really smacks this teams defense in the face, these old guys make a good play here and there but have lost steps in most cases and often fold up on a well done play aimed at them..i count elam amongst the oldest guys on the team because he has lost skills he never had....hehehehehe..

Archived