THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Controversy in Arizona ...

BrownIndian

Derek Anderson(notes) will start at quarterback again for Arizona when the Cardinals play Washington on Thursday night in their final preseason game.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he will use the same playing order as he did in last Saturday’s 14-9 win at Chicago. That means Matt Leinart(notes) will come in to replace Anderson at some point.

“It worked for us,” the coach said, “so we’ll see if it continues to work that way.”

He said neither quarterback will get as much playing time as they did against the Bears, “but both guys will get the opportunity.”

Whisenhunt’s decision came following a meeting with Leinart on Monday afternoon after the former Heisman Trophy winner told reporters that he had outplayed Anderson in training camp and preseason, and that his problem with his coach “probably goes beyond football.”

Whisenhunt called it “a good talk”

“We obviously touched base on where everything was,” he said, “which I’ve always said I wanted. If players have an issue or a problem to come see me. We had communicated before about where we were and obviously we needed to talk a little bit more, but it was a good talk.”

Leinart did not make himself available to reporters after the Cardinals worked out on Tuesday for the first time at Arizona State University’s indoor practice facility. His meeting with the coach came amid widespread speculation that his days with Arizona could be numbered, that the team was looking to trade him or might even release him.

Unless the Cardinals acquire another quarterback, the team would be left with the unlikely prospect of having two rookies—John Skelton(notes) and Max Hall(notes)— back up Anderson.

General manager Rod Graves did not return a message left on his cell phone Tuesday.

Whisenhunt said he has been consistent in the way he communicates with players since he took over as head coach in 2007.

“I’m comfortable with the way we’ve done that,” Whisenhunt said. “Obviously there must have been some breakdown because he didn’t hear what he wanted, but hopefully we got that cleared up yesterday.”

He said he has nothing personal against Leinart.

“I’ve always liked Matt,” Whisenhunt said. “I think Matt is a tremendous person and he’s done a lot for this city and this community, but it’s my job as the head coach of this team to pick the best players for our squad. I didn’t think, as the preseason progressed, that we were as efficient as we needed to be.”

He said the team played better last week.

“I don’t know if that was a function of making the changes, or whether that was a function of our guys waking up a little bit,” Whisenhunt said. “We get an opportunity to see this week.

Whisenhunt has not announced the starting quarterback for the regular season opener Sept. 12 at St. Louis, but Anderson appears to be the front-runner, considering he’s making the last two starts.

Leinart said on Monday that he didn’t know what else he “could possibly do” to earn the job.

“It probably goes beyond football, beyond the field actually,” he said. “For me, I am not making excuses. I am not going to complain. For me, I just really want an explanation and I haven’t been given one.”

Whisenhunt wasn’t happy that Leinart had expressed his feelings to reporters.

“Would I have rather he come to me and talked to me? Yes, to be perfectly honest, I would,” he said. “But you know that’s what sometimes happens in this business. Matt and I had an opportunity to talk yesterday. He definitely had some feelings that he needed to get out and he came up and saw me, and that was important.”

Anderson, signed as a free agent after being released by Cleveland, has seen far more playing time than Leinart in the preseason. The former Oregon State quarterback has completed 31 of 53 passes (59 percent) for 287 yards and two touchdowns, with two interceptions.

Leinart has completed 83 percent (19 of 23), most of them short-range throws, for 161 yards and one touchdown with no interceptions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does the situation sound familiar Browns fans ? Any chances Josh McDaniels will try to trade for Matt Leinart :P ?

It sounds so familiar that I already know their season is going to be a disaster at QB without having to watch it unfold every Sunday.

The fan division on the 2 QBs looks similar to us over the last several years and man im glad we dont have that problem anymore..

Yup we have been there and are done with that, however it never ceases to amaze me how coaches become intoxicated and enthralled with a rifle arm and see nothing else believing they can mold them and harness the power..the cards do have some nice targets though and maybe DA has finally found a place to rack his rifle...MUHAAHHAHAHAHA!

Zombo wins!!!! At least it seems that way to me!

So Anderson is in and maybe Lienart is out. This is a great thing to see. I watched that Monday night game a couple of weeks ago and Anderson threw some very nice passes down the field. We know that Anderson can win. We saw it first hand here with a supporting cast that was much worse then what he has in Arizona. And the Cards are trying to do what we didn't and avoid a QB controversy by trading Lienart.

I hope Anderson has a great season in Arizona!

It is probable that DA has won the starting job in AZ, and that Leinert will be traded....possibly to the Bills, Raiders, or Giants. That what was said on the radio this morning by Schefter.

Problem is, Leinert has let it be known through Glazer that he doesn't want to go anywhere to be a backup. He wants to start. But if Derick "Fricken" Anderson can beat him out, I doubt anyone will immediately install him as a starter.

Also Leinert has a prohibitive contract. Any trade would likely require a contract restructuring.

My guess, the Cardinals cut him on Saturday.

Anderception has looked pretty crisp at times and he has some very legit targets to get the ball to thats for sure, but lets see what happens when fitzy gets hurt from getting nailed going up for the ball..i dont think to many question that DA has an nfl arm but he does not own some of the most basic and necessary tools in the set..not a problem though whizz and crew can lend them to him..Muhahahahaha!

Did DA look any better this preseason than he did last? I think he's eventually going to pass his way onto the bench. Remember this was a guy who couldn't muster a 50 passer rating last year. I think this speaks to how poor of a pro QB Matt Leinart really is. He has had an attitude problem the whole time and he thinks he's proven something.

Anderception has looked pretty crisp at times and he has some very legit targets to get the ball to thats for sure, but lets see what happens when fitzy gets hurt from getting nailed going up for the ball..i dont think to many question that DA has an nfl arm but he does not own some of the most basic and necessary tools in the set..not a problem though whizz and crew can lend them to him..Muhahahahaha!

i can see da now, just throwing the ball carelessly to fitz in triple/quadruple coverage on a regular.

Well, we all won when we shipped them both out and started over with Jake, Seneca and Colt.

But somewhere I see Shep slowly floating away on a raft crying "...But I was right about Aaron Rodgers!" Aaron Rodgers is good, and I told everybody he was going to be good ... I am still a quarterback guuuruuuu .... boooohhhoooohoooo .... I'm still a guuuuruuuu!"

Zombo

--Give Anderson this: He may not be great, you may even think he sucks, but he's good at exposing prettyboy wannabees who don't really belong in the NFL ... and chasing away posters who don't really belong on the BrownsBoard.

When Andersons playing days are over, we are going to make him a moderator here. No one exposes posers better than this guy.

It is probable that DA has won the starting job in AZ, and that Leinert will be traded....possibly to the Bills, Raiders, or Giants. That what was said on the radio this morning by Schefter.

I'd say the odds of a trade are lower than just being cut outright. If one of these teams wants Leinart, they're gonna have to pony up something to the Cardinals, then fight Leinart over that 10-12 mil he's due next year. Let him get cut, then his agent will come begging to those three teams or any others that may be interested. I see a huge paycut ahead.

It will be a bad idea for them to cut Leinart unless and until they find a steady QB who can progress the ball. No offense to DA , but teams know how to pressurize him and he aint a consistent success. When DA starts throwing interceptions over there atleast Leinart knows enough of the offense to ensure that the Cardinals keep possession of the ball.

Just to put a nail in this coffin:

Espn seems pretty confident this morning that A.) Derek Anderson beat out Matt Leinart and is now the starting QB for a playoff contender. and B.) Tim Tebow has beaten out Brady Quinn (sacked 7 times in preseason and just one TD) for the Broncos backup job.

Anderson starting for a team that was in the playoffs last year, Quinn in danger of being cut from a bad Denver team.

Now, I am thrilled we blew up the position and are moving on with Jake, Seneca and Colt ... there is much more professionalism and certainty about the position this year, and I have always been a Delhomme fan.

But I just want to say one last time to the relentless Quinn Fags (reading as guests) who railed on me and railed on me for two years because I had the gall to think the team had a better chance to win with Anderson at the controls while they thought Brady was big and fast and smart and accurate and mobile and a born leader and a wonderlik ace and just "never got a chance" by these idiots running an NFL franchise ... Blow Me.

Anderson is maddingly inconsistent but his teammates rally around him and he can move the ball straight down the center of the field, NFL coaches don't give a shit about wonderliks and QB ratings ... they want first downs and points!

Quinn is the NFL version of a stillborn. He was just a dud. He did nothing. It was obvious to me early on, and it never changed.

I WANTED Quinn to succeed. I am a Notre Dame fan. An Irish Catholic like Quinn. A Browns fan from childhood like Quinn. I REALLY wanted him to suceed.

But in the end, I want what's best for my Browns, and the last three years that was Anderson. He was the best option we had back there on what was a bad team.

So I stood up for him, as did a few others. By all accounts he is a good guy, a regular guy, a good teammate and he always gave his all for the Browns.

I hope he does well in Arizona.

OK, I'm done.

But what I REALLY want is for Jake to light up the Bucs and let's get this party started ... we've waited ten years for the Browns to come back ... I think we are finally on to something. The team seems crisp and professional, the receivers seem more confident, I think we have the best coaching staff and franchise structure that we've ever had, we've finally built an offense around a young bad-ass line and the defense seems to be finally progressing in Mangini's system.

Let's kick some ass.

Zombo

Actually Zombo, instead of putting a nail in the coffin you may have used the claw end of a crowbar to open it up and now the Zombie..your kissing cousin, may out among the populace looking for live meat to consume.

Which kinda makes you....Michael Jackson!

Just to put a nail in this coffin:

Espn seems pretty confident this morning that A.) Derek Anderson beat out Matt Leinart and is now the starting QB for a playoff contender. and B.) Tim Tebow has beaten out Brady Quinn (sacked 7 times in preseason and just one TD) for the Broncos backup job.

Anderson starting for a team that was in the playoffs last year, Quinn in danger of being cut from a bad Denver team.

Now, I am thrilled we blew up the position and are moving on with Jake, Seneca and Colt ... there is much more professionalism and certainty about the position this year, and I have always been a Delhomme fan.

But I just want to say one last time to the relentless Quinn Fags (reading as guests) who railed on me and railed on me for two years because I had the gall to think the team had a better chance to win with Anderson at the controls while they thought Brady was big and fast and smart and accurate and mobile and a born leader and a wonderlik ace and just "never got a chance" by these idiots running an NFL franchise ... Blow Me.

Anderson is maddingly inconsistent but his teammates rally around him and he can move the ball straight down the center of the field, NFL coaches don't give a shit about wonderliks and QB ratings ... they want first downs and points!

Quinn is the NFL version of a stillborn. He was just a dud. He did nothing. It was obvious to me early on, and it never changed.

I WANTED Quinn to succeed. I am a Notre Dame fan. An Irish Catholic like Quinn. A Browns fan from childhood like Quinn. I REALLY wanted him to suceed.

But in the end, I want what's best for my Browns, and the last three years that was Anderson. He was the best option we had back there on what was a bad team.

So I stood up for him, as did a few others. By all accounts he is a good guy, a regular guy, a good teammate and he always gave his all for the Browns.

I hope he does well in Arizona.

OK, I'm done.

But what I REALLY want is for Jake to light up the Bucs and let's get this party started ... we've waited ten years for the Browns to come back ... I think we are finally on to something. The team seems crisp and professional, the receivers seem more confident, I think we have the best coaching staff and franchise structure that we've ever had, we've finally built an offense around a young bad-ass line and the defense seems to be finally progressing in Mangini's system.

Let's kick some ass.

Zombo

But Anderson is not a Rock Star. His abs don't look like a washboard, and he is not from Califagna.

I will admit, I still think DA has the potential to be a decent NFL Qb and would be ok if he was still here..... this was the wrong team for him both from a fan base (falls in love with draft pick status over substance, I still remember being disgusted at the boo birds and cheering for BQ when DA was playing as our qb) perspective and coaching carousel... let alone offensive talent.

either way good luck DA and good luck to our new Browns this year! I hope I can get to at least 2 home games this year...... work.. work... work.. not to mention my Buckeyes are looking at a possible NC appearance... going to be a very interesting football season! .... need something to soothe my cavs disappointment. :-)

I think DA has reached his potential. He has a great arm and throws a great deep ball but he really struggles with the short passes and also makes (obviously) really bad decisions at times. He may start the season, but Leinart (if he's still there) will start at some point after a couple 0 TD 4 INT performances.

What you taking, is it legal? If so: PM me with details.

He has the franchise BEST home game single season record...... that was an exciting year? The kid has got a gun and makes some unbelievable throws (some horrible and some great)...

I like underdogs and he always has been one in the NFL, I still believe that like BQ he had very little consistency with coaching, schemes, skill players and most of all support. Its details in a complicated team/franchise business that makes players bad, average, good or great...... Our organization as a whole in the last 5 years (one could argue much longer) is a wreck...... than compound that with financial pressures and fan popularity support which can effect financial.... well you got our situation....

either way, good luck at the Cardinals and hopefully we find and develop talent (i hope Mccoy in 2 years) to lead us.

Archived