THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie

firebiker911

Is it just me or does Bernie sound alot more coherent at the end of these preseason telecasts? Over the last few years he seems to have slurred speech and difficulty talking deep into the games. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. Maybe his new rich girlfriend has helped him get his life together. It sounds like that may be the case and I surely hope so. Keep up the good work Bernie.

Is it just me or does Bernie sound alot more coherent at the end of these preseason telecasts? Over the last few years he seems to have slurred speech and difficulty talking deep into the games. Doesn't seem to be the case this year. Maybe his new rich girlfriend has helped him get his life together. It sounds like that may be the case and I surely hope so. Keep up the good work Bernie.

Bernie Kosar suffers from post concussion syndrome. It's caused some deterioration in brain tissue. The results include slurred speech and loss of some motor functions. The problem is exacerbated by fatigue, or simply by speaking for extended periods of time. Reportedly, Bernie's been receiving therapy to help minimize the audible effects of his condition.

I don't know what he did consume or does or doesn't now... but I find the concussion explanation a lot more plausible, than a room full of television people feeding him drinks throughout a telecast.

-jj

Bernie Kosar suffers from post concussion syndrome. It's caused some deterioration in brain tissue. The results include slurred speech and loss of some motor functions. The problem is exacerbated by fatigue, or simply by speaking for extended periods of time. Reportedly, Bernie's been receiving therapy to help minimize the audible effects of his condition.

I don't know what he did consume or does or doesn't now... but I find the concussion explanation a lot more plausible, than a room full of television people feeding him drinks throughout a telecast.

-jj

It is known that Bernie has had alot of concussion's in his career. It is also known that during his divorce his now ex-wife accused him of substance abuse problems. Sure, ex-wifes will say almost anything during a divorce. No one ever said a room full of people were feeding him drinks. I don't know which one was his problem. I'm just glad he seems to be better. That was the point of the post.

It is known that Bernie has had alot of concussion's in his career. It is also known that during his divorce his now ex-wife accused him of substance abuse problems. Sure, ex-wifes will say almost anything during a divorce. No one ever said a room full of people were feeding him drinks. I don't know which one was his problem. I'm just glad he seems to be better. That was the point of the post.

I'm with you. There has been been much discussion of Bernie's substance troubles... And even more about his slurred speech. I'm just not sure that one thing ever had anything to do with the other.

-jj

i'm not buying that his slurred speech was necessarily connected to the rumored troubles. It is possible that he was told that if he wants a role in broadcasting or some other public forum, then he needs to address his speech issues. Speech therapists can do wonderful things. When he was talking slurred, his mind and commentary still always seemed sharp.

His speech now seems much more deliberate and carefull. i enjoy his commentary.

Even though he has never admitted he seemed to have a substance abuse problem.

The way he use to talk was sad. I'm glad to see him getting his life back on track. He is still the man

You guys were clueless. Two things: The dude is from Youngstown. He speaks Youngstownese.

Dialectically it is a cross between Pittsburghese and Clevelandese.

Its a rough sounding dialect, which combined with his football/streetwise way of getting in your face as a QB made his speech rough.

And I am serious about this.

Secondly, perhaps unbeknownst to most of us he suffered a number of concussions in his career which affected his communicative centers and that is the cause of his slurred speech. It wasn't drugs or alcohol.

I suppose it is possible that he took pain killers to ease all his aches and pains from being plastered by linemen. Recall that during the last part of his career the Browns O Line was a complete sieve...especially after Cody Risien retired, and he was constantly getting hammered by the defenses.

i'm not buying that his slurred speech was necessarily connected to the rumored troubles. It is possible that he was told that if he wants a role in broadcasting or some other public forum, then he needs to address his speech issues. Speech therapists can do wonderful things. When he was talking slurred, his mind and commentary still always seemed sharp.

His speech now seems much more deliberate and carefull. i enjoy his commentary.

In fact, it seems a little more stilted and unnatural. I mean, to a certain extent they are trying to pull a Pygmalion here with him....right Mr. 'iggins?

I love bernie and he has had a slew of injuries.

There is no doubt he was on pain medication. He suffers from chronic pain. If it makes people feel better to blame it on concussions, so be it. If he did have a substance abuse problem it doesn't make him any less of a person. Either way he is my hero

Archived