THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets sign Revis

CLEVELandMILIDH

As expected, Revis deal was all about guaranteed money

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2010 6:13 AM ET

For weeks, we were led to believe that the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis were looking at two options -- a 10-year career deal and a short-term bridge until the two sides could sign a 10-year career deal.

In the end, Revis apparently got the kind of truly guaranteed money for which he was looking, and a chance to reload with another big-money deal in four years, if not sooner.

The four-year, $46 million deal represents a $25 million raise over the $21 million Revis was due to earn over the last three of his rookie deal. More importantly, Revis saw his guaranteed money increase from zero dollars and zero cents to, reportedly, $32 million.

Sure, before his holdout Revis had $20 million in guarantees that would have been triggered in 2011, but before Revis could get there he had to get through 2010 with $1 million in pay -- and without a Leon Washington-style injury.

We'll assume that the $32 million in guaranteed money represents truly and fully guaranteed money, either in the form of signing bonus or money guaranteed both for skill and injury. Truly guaranteed money -- not total dollars -- had long been the source of the impasse, with Revis wanting to get the kind of protection that he craved against a catastrophic injury.

The problem was that, on an ultra-long-term deal, the associated guarantees would have likely been $50 million or more, and the Jets have been in the recent habit of giving players guaranteed money that wasn't truly guaranteed. So if the $32 million is truly and fully guaranteed, Revis still gets enough to buy more than enough security for himself and a generation or two (or more), and Revis also will get a second bite at the apple in 2014.

Moving forward, here's hoping that the Jets included enough inducements and/or penalties to ensure that Revis won't stage his third career holdout come 2012 or 2013, after he pockets most of the new money, perhaps wins an AP defensive player of the year award or two, gets his fingerprints on the Lombardi, and then gets in his head the notion that he wants to be not only the highest-paid cornerback in the game, but the highest-paid player at any position.

That is some huge cake for sure; I really think the Jets made their own monster in Revis...the man is good; however, they have pumped him up to be more than what he is....

It is game week folks!!!! GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that. He is a great corner, but it has been their own hype that has driven up his value moreso than his play.

For all the hoopla the Jets themselves have created, they were still a 9-7 team last year (unchanged from the year before but with better talent). They've subtracted too many team leaders and convinced themselves that Mark Sanchez is a great QB.

I've seen Darelle Revis play in person no fewer than 10 times and I will tell you that he's a great CB but his crazy money demands will force the Jets to eventually have to give some other players less. When he hurts himself because he's not in football shape, we'll see who's laughing.

The Jets will go 8-8 this year and finish third in the AFC East.

What's more is that the Browns will beat them in Cleveland as Mangini outcoaches Rex.

Amen to that. He is a great corner, but it has been their own hype that has driven up his value moreso than his play.

He's the best corner in the league but you are correct the Jets inflated that ego. Dumb a$$ Rex Ryan is doing the same with Santonio Holmes singing his praises left and right during and now after training camp. He's going to be due some big money soon as well.

He's the best corner in the league but you are correct the Jets inflated that ego. Dumb a$$ Rex Ryan is doing the same with Santonio Holmes singing his praises left and right during and now after training camp. He's going to be due some big money soon as well.

I'm sure his agent has Rex's "Santonio-gasm" on "Hard Knocks" DVR'd and ready to play it back over and over to Mike Tannenbaum when it's contract time.

I'm sure his agent has Rex's "Santonio-gasm" on "Hard Knocks" DVR'd and ready to play it back over and over to Mike Tannenbaum when it's contract time.

Absolutely. Rex Ryan is a bit of a wing nut.

For all the hoopla the Jets themselves have created, they were still a 9-7 team last year (unchanged from the year before but with better talent). They've subtracted too many team leaders and convinced themselves that Mark Sanchez is a great QB.

I've seen Darelle Revis play in person no fewer than 10 times and I will tell you that he's a great CB but his crazy money demands will force the Jets to eventually have to give some other players less. When he hurts himself because he's not in football shape, we'll see who's laughing.

The Jets will go 8-8 this year and finish third in the AFC East.

What's more is that the Browns will beat them in Cleveland as Mangini outcoaches Rex.

Oh yea Manginues will Out Coach Coach Potatoe Ryan lol

Archived