THE BROWNS BOARD

For the first time in his 5 yr. career, Jerome Harrison will start the season as the Browns' No. 1 RB

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...e_harris_4.html

With rookie running back Montario Hardesty out for the year, Jerome Harrison heads into season as the No. 1 guy for the first time in his career -- and he's taking the responsibility to heart.

"I'm going to go out and run hard and I'm going to give this city everything I've got every time I'm out there," he said. "I'm going to try my hardest to turn this program around and do whatever I can to do it."

Browns coach Eric Mangini senses Harrison grasps the magnitude of his new role.

"He understands the things that he has to do and he understands the great opportunity that he has in front of him," Mangini said. "I expect him to seize that opportunity like he did last year and run with it."

Taking over the for injured Jamal Lewis at the end of last season, Harrison let loose for an astounding 561 yards over the final three games, including the single-game franchise record of 286 yards against the Chiefs. Starting a career-high seven games, he led the team with 862 yards rushing and tied for first on the team with 34 receptions.

One might think that'd be enough to earn the starting job this season, but it wasn't. Instead, the Browns traded up to draft Hardesty in the second round, and virtually christened him the starter on draft day when they said they envisioned him becoming their featured back.

"It didn't affect me at all," Harrison said. "I just line up and play football and see what happens."

But didn't the rookie hot on his heels bring out the best in him?

"I trained the same way in the off-season," Harrison said. "He was there when I trained, I was there when he trained. There was no different mind-set."

What about now? Will his approach to the game change now that Hardesty is out with torn anterior cruciate ligament?

"No, not at all," he said. "I'll go to work everyday, bust my butt and see what happens."

Mangini agreed that Harrison wasn't motivated by Hardesty's presence and isn't by his absence.

"I never got the sense from Jerome that the things that he was going to do were going to be dependent on somebody else," Mangini said. "You don't ever want that. You don't want someone saying, 'OK, because he's doing X, I'm going to do Y.' It's 'I'm going to do this because it's right for me.' I get that sense from Jerome. He has certain goals, he has certain things that he wants to achieve. I'm talking about growth and development. It wasn't based on Montario being here, it wasn't based on anybody being here. It was based on what he wanted to do for him. That's, I think, a very healthy approach."

Harrison did acknowledge the tremendous opportunity he's been given. Over the last four games of last season, the Browns led the league in rushing with 900 yards.

"I'm playing with a great offensive line, the best fullback in the league [in Lawrence Vickers] and they just give me a chance to go out there and run and have fun and be very productive and do whatever I need to do to help this team win," he said.

But why did Harrison have to come back and prove himself this season after what he did at the end of last year? Is it because he's 5-9, 205 pounds, while Hardesty is a more prototypical 6-0, 225?

"I've been proving myself about 21 years now," Harrison said. "I've been playing since I was 6, so it's 21 years. It's nothing new. Just a different level."

Is that what keeps him going?

"Playing this game and the guys in the locker room keep me going," he said.

Harrison said he's not worried he set the bar too high for himself with the 561 yards in last season's final three games.

"We're going to run for it," he said. "I'm definitely going to run for it and we're going to have a good time doing it. All I've got to do is stay alive and I'm all right. I don't worry about pressure, just go out there and play and have fun."

After the third preseason game in Detroit, Harrison said he would fix his fumbling problem (he lost one in Detroit and fumbled twice a week earlier against the Rams). He also lamented having a long gain of 9 yards on his 23 carries, with an average of 3.1 yards. But he explained he was working on other things besides his running.

"In the preseason, I set two goals to work on," he said. "Two things to work on and I did it. Now everything is coming together."

And those two things were?

"I will not tell you," he said with a laugh.

It must be burning Mangini up after Heckert told him that Harrison was going to be his #1.

Jerome earned this shot imo, now he needs to stay healthy produce yards and not get dubbed a fumbler...

Its also nice to have Hillis backing him up. With the wilddawg and those 2 running this year, we could rush for 2500+ as a team. I know it sounds far fetched but it seems like it is in reach.

Its also nice to have Hillis backing him up. With the wilddawg and those 2 running this year, we could rush for 2500+ as a team. I know it sounds far fetched but it seems like it is in reach.

Do you realize how crazy that sounds? Teams are going to STACK the defense on Delhomme and make him win football games. You will in no way shape or form have a 2500+ yard season. You don't have the air attack to make that happen.

Yeah, Steeler fans are here all time.

Zombo

LOL at the backhanded inclusion of the Squeelers as being worse than the Browns.

ON TOPIC -

Considering it is a contract year for Harrison and he already whined and moaned before signing his tender, he knows he has a lot to play for this year.

I am happy with the stable of backs we have right now - JH, Davis and Hillis could be a tough combo to deal with since they will all most likely get touches.

Do you realize how crazy that sounds? Teams are going to STACK the defense on Delhomme and make him win football games. You will in no way shape or form have a 2500+ yard season. You don't have the air attack to make that happen.

Once again, last year the Browns' QBs threw for 2076 yards at a 49.6% clip with 11 TDs to 18 Ints. It. Does. Not. Get. Any. Worse. Than. That. But yet you keep banging that drum. The team still totaled 2087 yards even with Lewis tip toeing 143 times at 3.5 YPC. So, while I think 2500 yards is unlikely, let's not pretend that it is as crazy as you want it to be.

i dont get why everyone is so down on harrison, its impossible to get 286 yards rushing in a game and not be talented, doesnt matter who your playing.

I think it would be easier to feel that way if it weren't the end of the season and he didn't have fresh legs. He was a back-up for a bit of the season before getting the full-time role.

Don't forget, we passed the ball around 31-33 times TOTAL over the course of the last few weeks. Not to mention, most of the teams we were playing didn't have playoff hopes and were turning down the intensity.

If Harrison can put together a 1000-1300 yd season this year I will say he is a starting RB talent, but as I see it right now - he will NOT be in Cleveland next year. There will be some talented HBs in the Draft next season and Harrison will be little more than Darren Sproles.

I think it would be easier to feel that way if it weren't the end of the season and he didn't have fresh legs. He was a back-up for a bit of the season before getting the full-time role.

Don't forget, we passed the ball around 31-33 times TOTAL over the course of the last few weeks. Not to mention, most of the teams we were playing didn't have playoff hopes and were turning down the intensity.

If Harrison can put together a 1000-1300 yd season this year I will say he is a starting RB talent, but as I see it right now - he will NOT be in Cleveland next year. There will be some talented HBs in the Draft next season and Harrison will be little more than Darren Sproles.

i get what your saying but over his career, he averages about 5 yards per carry, and although our line is starting to look good, it has been horrible. If our line plays decent and he gets 15-20ish carries a game, I think he is a 1200 yard back EASY, barring injury.

i get what your saying but over his career, he averages about 5 yards per carry, and although our line is starting to look good, it has been horrible. If our line plays decent and he gets 15-20ish carries a game, I think he is a 1200 yard back EASY, barring injury.

Dude... If we got 1200 yards out of 15-20 carries a game from him I would say he is worth a 2 year contract.

James Davis (if healthy) is going to be one hell of a speedy back that can actually run the occasional defender over. I would LOVE to see the Browns go to a 2-back system and run a solid offense that scores. Really tired of seeing our defense have to keep us in games.

(Although, I LOVE the fact that our under-rated defense manages to pull through sometimes... It is a good sign of things to come)

Yet they ran for 900 yards with just exactly that happening in the last 4 games last year. Harrison actually had 286 yards against KC which stacked the box with 8 or 9 guys most plays. I think there was a grand total of 8 pass plays in that game. KC knew what the Browns were gonna do, put in the perfect defenses to stop it, and yet still went out and did it with flair.

Now I'm not especially expecting him to light it up quite that much, but you gotta respect what they did, and expect it could happen again.

Yet they ran for 900 yards with just exactly that happening in the last 4 games last year. Harrison actually had 286 yards against KC which stacked the box with 8 or 9 guys most plays. I think there was a grand total of 8 pass plays in that game. KC knew what the Browns were gonna do, put in the perfect defenses to stop it, and yet still went out and did it with flair.

Now I'm not especially expecting him to light it up quite that much, but you gotta respect what they did, and expect it could happen again.

I HOPE that it could happen again. The biggest thing is that JH is not Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson - he is Jerome Harrison... a career back-up with flashes of talent. I hope for the best this season, but I can't help but fear the worst as a Browns fan).

I HOPE that it could happen again. The biggest thing is that JH is not Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson - he is Jerome Harrison... a career back-up with flashes of talent. I hope for the best this season, but I can't help but fear the worst as a Browns fan).

See, I never saw him as a career backup. If you go through the archives, you'll see a post I put up on Harrison that explained all the stats.

EVERYTIME the dude touched the ball, he made things happen. But for whatever reason, Crennel would only let him touch the ball a couple times every two or three games. It boggled my mind. Really it did.

When he got a chance to start, he lit it up. He is going to be good.

See, I never saw him as a career backup. If you go through the archives, you'll see a post I put up on Harrison that explained all the stats.

EVERYTIME the dude touched the ball, he made things happen. But for whatever reason, Crennel would only let him touch the ball a couple times every two or three games. It boggled my mind. Really it did.

When he got a chance to start, he lit it up. He is going to be good.

If his pre-season fumbles are behind him I think you are right. A contract year will only add to his pressure to perform as well.

Jerome Harrison is just now earning the starting job. The Browns went out and spent a relatively high pick on Montario and now Harrison is going to light it up? He had a few nice games to end the season but so have several flash in the pan running backs over the years. I'm not saying Harrison is a bum but to claim a team that didn't win 5 games last year will have a running back tandem rush for over 2500 yards is "Aliens just landed in my backyard and gave me a million dollars" crazy. I guess we'll see how things shake out but if I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd bet it doesn't happen.

Jerome Harrison is just now earning the starting job. The Browns went out and spent a relatively high pick on Montario and now Harrison is going to light it up? He had a few nice games to end the season but so have several flash in the pan running backs over the years. I'm not saying Harrison is a bum but to claim a team that didn't win 5 games last year will have a running back tandem rush for over 2500 yards is "Aliens just landed in my backyard and gave me a million dollars" crazy. I guess we'll see how things shake out but if I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd bet it doesn't happen.

Lets see, about 25 years ago the Browns had a team come off a 5-11 season. They knew they had to bet back to basic football and run the damn ball. They ended up with 2 1000 yard runners. A similar approach will happen this year. Will they get 2500? No, but I say the get around 2200-2300, which will be close enough.

Lets see, about 25 years ago the Browns had a team come off a 5-11 season. They knew they had to bet back to basic football and run the damn ball. They ended up with 2 1000 yard runners. A similar approach will happen this year. Will they get 2500? No, but I say the get around 2200-2300, which will be close enough.

They also had semi competent QB play something I don't believe you'll get with Delhomme. I guess we'll see what happens. You certainly have the offensive line for it. I'd rather win games than rack up a bunch of yards on the ground. You won't do both in my opinion.

They also had semi competent QB play something I don't believe you'll get with Delhomme. I guess we'll see what happens. You certainly have the offensive line for it. I'd rather win games than rack up a bunch of yards on the ground. You won't do both in my opinion.

Actually, they had almost exactly what the Browns have now. An older guy doing his duty while waiting for a younger guy to take over.

And, just like then, controlling the game on the ground is an effort to keep things close in order to be in most games and hopefully to have a chance to win at the end. That team went 8-8. (but unlike this year, their competition wasn't as stiff. That 8-8 actually won them the division. That won't happen this year...not unless something really weird happens in the AFC North). Speaking of which, don't the Steelers have a game this week you should be paying attention to? You seem to be giving all your time to these two big loser teams playing each other.

Or have you already given up on the Steelers this week?

I'd rather win games than rack up a bunch of yards on the ground. You won't do both in my opinion.

This makes no sense. Most winning teams actually compile rushing yardage as they grind out the clock. I have no idea where you are going here. Also, it was convenient of you to not address my response on page 1.

Actually, they had almost exactly what the Browns have now. An older guy doing his duty while waiting for a younger guy to take over.

And, just like then, controlling the game on the ground is an effort to keep things close in order to be in most games and hopefully to have a chance to win at the end. That team went 8-8. (but unlike this year, their competition wasn't as stiff. That 8-8 actually won them the division. That won't happen this year...not unless something really weird happens in the AFC North). Speaking of which, don't the Steelers have a game this week you should be paying attention to? You seem to be giving all your time to these two big loser teams playing each other.

Or have you already given up on the Steelers this week?

Firefox = multiple tabs. I can effectively multi-task. I didn't realize popping in here from time to time and typing a sentence or two was/is time consuming. Is this the first you've heard of multi-tasking?

Archived