THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns waived 2009 second-round pick David Veikune

NewEraDawg

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have conceded the David Veikune experiment won't be working out. They waived the 2009 second-round pick to make room for cornerback Derrick Roberson, an undrafted player who's been on the practice squad of three teams.

Veikune was the 52nd overall pick of the 2009 draft. He played defensive end at Hawaii and was tried at both outside and inside linebacker. He played in 10 games as a rookie and was not credited with a tackle.

Roberson, 5-10 and 180 pounds, appeared in six games with Tampa Bay last year.

The transaction decreases the imbalance on the Browns' roster. They now have 11 linebackers and four cornerbacks.

The team also confirmed it was awarded offensive lineman Steve Vallos off waivers from Seattle and waived swingman Billy Yates.

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have conceded the David Veikune experiment won't be working out. They waived the 2009 second-round pick to make room for cornerback Derrick Roberson, an undrafted player who's been on the practice squad of three teams.

Veikune was the 52nd overall pick of the 2009 draft. He played defensive end at Hawaii and was tried at both outside and inside linebacker. He played in 10 games as a rookie and was not credited with a tackle.

The transaction decreases the imbalance on the Browns' roster. They now have 11 linebackers and four cornerbacks.

The team also confirmed it was awarded offensive lineman Steve Vallos off waivers from Seattle and waived swingman Billy Yates.

Roster is making more sense now. Sorry we wasted a second-rounder but you have to have the guts to admit mistakes and move on. Not a Holmgren/ Heckert mistake anyway.

Zombo

I wanted Veikune to succeed, but he obviously didn't cut it.

What PLEASES me is that it appears the days of keeping an unproductive player JUST because he was a high pick are over. It is very refreshing that we will now accept poor decisions (we all make some) & move on.

Mike

Veikune was absolutely the worst pick in recent memory. My goodness it makes me ill the players they passed on....like....Shon Greene, Phil Loadholt, Lesean McCoy....wow

To try and convert a Hawaiian with bad hips into a linebacker is stupid. Just try drafting a college LINEBACKER for once!!!! and let him play LINEBACKER in the pros!!!!

Only tremendous athletes convert wll to LB from a college DE....Not David Veikune

Yeah, make sure you pass on Paul Kruger also......

Veikune has joined the Mount Rushmore of Browns LB Busts along with Clifford Carlton, Craig Powell, and Mike "Mad Dog in Meat Market" Junkin.

We wasted a second on Veikune, wasted a first and a second on Quinn ... the good news is that Holmgren and Heckert are going to make hideous reaches.

Even Hardesty can come back and be a winner ... I love the rest of our first day this year.

Zombo

How can a linebacker possibly play in 10 games and not once be credited with a tackle? If that doesn't scream he sucks I don't know what does. Glad to see him go, and sorry we were dumb enough to draft him.

Is it a coincidence that we picked up this Derrick Roberson , Former tampa bay bucaneers player right before we play them this weekend. Seems a little fishy....maybe we want some information from this guy about how they run things and plays... hahahaha just a thought put out there...

I wonder why they waited until today to release Veikune?

Probably because they dropped him after they were sure to have acquired the services of Roberson first. It's obviously disappointing that this player didn't work out. Yes, it was a reach but if he played with ANY kind of results we could have at least convinced ourselves that perhaps he could develop. This guy showed zip. NADA.

The good news is that (as others state) we aren't binding ourselves to unproductive players because of where they were drafted. Teams can be held hostage for years by players like that (see Harrington, Joey). Likewise, the fans' suffering is prolonged in those situations.

Is it a coincidence that we picked up this Derrick Roberson , Former tampa bay bucaneers player right before we play them this weekend. Seems a little fishy....maybe we want some information from this guy about how they run things and plays... hahahaha just a thought put out there...

This happens all the time. Belichick does it frequently.

How can a linebacker possibly play in 10 games and not once be credited with a tackle? If that doesn't scream he sucks I don't know what does. Glad to see him go, and sorry we were dumb enough to draft him.

Other teams feared him and ran away from him?? ;)

Archived