THE BROWNS BOARD

The REAL problem with the Browns, and how to fix it.

bugzilla

There has been one horrible problem plaguing the Browns, basically forever, but specifically since they returned to the league. Ownership. Why are the Steelers and Patriots and Colts perennial playoff teams? Ownership. Their owners know what it takes to win. They know which coaches to hire and when (yes, Bellicheck used to coach the Browns, but Bob Kraft got him after he had earned experience). They spend as much money as they have to on QUALITY. Note the Redskins that simply throw money at high priced free agents at the end of their careers.

The Browns have had terrible ownership in recent years. Art Model was a cheap bastard and the Lerner family, well, they don't have a clue.

Every time the Browns loose the knee jerk reaction is to put in the backup QB.

Folks, it's not going to change until Randy Lerner packs up his bags to deal with his soccer team full time.

Anyone up for a write in campaign?

While I agree with you that Randy Lerner has no clue about how to run a football team, I am of the opinion that that is why he hired Holmgren.

I think this will be a week of reflection for the team. They have a serious problem on offense - not a single gamebreaker.

The defense really is stout for being a patchwork quilt of vets and young guys. Mangini will be gone along with his crappy staff after this year and we will have a long term answer next year.

Gruden or bust!

I havent lost faith in Mangini yet. Guy just needs a good QB and a good OC.

if i were holmgren i would have fired mangini before he even got to the plane. horrible play calling.bad clock management.i'm not a fan of switching qbs at the drop of a hat like last year but jakes play-and i do like him-was affected by the foot injury. why didnt we see more of the josh cribbs seneca wallace packages we've heard so much about?

Unfortunately holmgren has done nothing but put an approval stamp on every aspect of what was already wrong when he got here..basically he has done nothing nor has he changed anything of any importance..its not a talent problem nearly as much as its a coaching and management problem..

Bad coaching will make a good team bad..

Good coaching will make even the worst team competitive..

So much for the new competitive spirit...the coaching and coordinating quit way before the players did this time...

And i cant bare to watch the mangini offensive system in action any longer, its painful enough that all the other team has to do is stack the box but its more painful that daboll doesnt have a working solution other than bitching, whining and benching the only guys who even tried....

Without further delay its time for heckert/holmgren to send daboll packing if not the whole pathetic mangini crew..any high school coach could sub for these clowns while awaiting a real coach...or maybe mike could coach himself for the rest of the year..

Browns football under mangini is proving to be far more unproductive and flat than even crennel brought...

Oh boy, here we go! First game of the season, and already we're calling for the coaches head, and calling for the back up QB! :angry: Look, we need continuity! We can't just fire a coach after a few seasons, and rebuild again! Hey, I realize Randy may not be football savy, and it's unfortunate, because he pretty much was thrown into this thing when his dad passed away! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, had Al not passed away, I don't think we would be seeing the issues that we've been seeing! However; Al did pass away, Randy DID inherit the team, and he was still getting his feet wet in learning how to run an NFL team! So, let's look at it this way. He has pockets. DEEP POCKETS! He has proven time and again, that he will spend the money to fix past mistakes! He brought in two credible and knowledeable football people in Mike Holmgren, and Tom Heckert. Furthermore; we cannot keep calling for the coaches head EVERY few years, or bitching about putting in the back up QB! Why do teams like the Steelers and Pats continue win? CONTINUITY!!!! The Steelers in the past 40 years have had 3 (count 'em) coaches... Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin! We've had how many since 1970??? Hell, we've changed coaches 4 times since 1999!!!! Rome wasn't built in one day! We have to let this current regime get settled in and let them build it the right way! I do NOT want to keep going through this BS where by Nov, the starting QB is benched in favor of the back up. Nor do I want to see at the end of the season the coach fired. I mean, really I'm tired of this "Ground Hogs" day scenario! We are very fortunate to have a guy like Holmgren in our front office. And I feel we are very fortunate to have a no nonsense coach like Mangini. Let's not screw this up, and make it so that nobody wants to come here!!!

Remember, we could still have that cheapskate Art Modell! Keep your head up Browns fans! We'll get there! No doubt this loss hurts, and it's a game we should have won, but it's only week one! Let's dust ourselves off, and get ready for the Chiefs! And while the Steelers won, remember they were at home, and regardless of who their QB is, they are tough to beat at Heinz Field, no matter who you are! But the Bengals lost, and everyone was hyping them to beat NE, and they got their asses handed to them! If the Ravens lose tonight, 3 out of the 4 teams in our division will be 0-1.

The talent level needs to be improved imho. By my count we played the game yesterday with proven talent at seven positions including Jake at QB. The rest of the team is young/inexperienced or has questionable talent.

We have proven talent at Center, LT, LG, tight end, QB, NT, FB

We have young raw talent at CB, Safety, RG/lavau, lb/benard, WR (benefit of the doubt at just needing experience)

We have so so talent at DE, multiple linebacker spots, RT, running back,

The team does not have the talent yet to overcome mistakes. If they can eliminate the turnovers they can win against most teams on the schedule. They also need to eliminate the mistakes on defense allowing big plays on third down. When you have great talent you can screw up a lot more and pull it out at the end. This team needs to take advantage of it's opportunities and severely limit easy opportunities for the other team to win.

One game and we already have fans calling for Mangini's head? Are you serious?

Did you see any of the games last season?

Every time I bring up something negative about the Browns (because there is nothing positive about them right now), everyone says things like "It's just one game,etc,etc". Well my views are not based on one game. They are based on a decade of poor play. Season after season I have seen the exact same performance from this team. I can predict for you exactly how this season will play out. Delhomme will throw a ton of interceptions putting even more pressure on our defense which is mediocre.

Mark this. The Browns will be winless going into the bye week. Guaranteed.

Why am I the only one concerned about the way this franchise doesn't care?

Oh boy, here we go! First game of the season, and already we're calling for the coaches head, and calling for the back up QB! :angry: Look, we need continuity! We can't just fire a coach after a few seasons, and rebuild again! Hey, I realize Randy may not be football savy, and it's unfortunate, because he pretty much was thrown into this thing when his dad passed away! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, had Al not passed away, I don't think we would be seeing the issues that we've been seeing! However; Al did pass away, Randy DID inherit the team, and he was still getting his feet wet in learning how to run an NFL team! So, let's look at it this way. He has pockets. DEEP POCKETS! He has proven time and again, that he will spend the money to fix past mistakes! He brought in two credible and knowledeable football people in Mike Holmgren, and Tom Heckert. Furthermore; we cannot keep calling for the coaches head EVERY few years, or bitching about putting in the back up QB! Why do teams like the Steelers and Pats continue win? CONTINUITY!!!! The Steelers in the past 40 years have had 3 (count 'em) coaches... Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin! We've had how many since 1970??? Hell, we've changed coaches 4 times since 1999!!!! Rome wasn't built in one day! We have to let this current regime get settled in and let them build it the right way! I do NOT want to keep going through this BS where by Nov, the starting QB is benched in favor of the back up. Nor do I want to see at the end of the season the coach fired. I mean, really I'm tired of this "Ground Hogs" day scenario! We are very fortunate to have a guy like Holmgren in our front office. And I feel we are very fortunate to have a no nonsense coach like Mangini. Let's not screw this up, and make it so that nobody wants to come here!!!

Remember, we could still have that cheapskate Art Modell! Keep your head up Browns fans! We'll get there! No doubt this loss hurts, and it's a game we should have won, but it's only week one! Let's dust ourselves off, and get ready for the Chiefs! And while the Steelers won, remember they were at home, and regardless of who their QB is, they are tough to beat at Heinz Field, no matter who you are! But the Bengals lost, and everyone was hyping them to beat NE, and they got their asses handed to them! If the Ravens lose tonight, 3 out of the 4 teams in our division will be 0-1.

i understand what you mean about continuity but the only continuity i'm seeing is bad coaching, bad play calling,bad clock management and more bad coaching.i don't like constantly changing qbs like last year but yesterday jds foot injury was affecting his play.it would have been good to see more of the seneca wallace josh cribbs combo more than just once, maybe it would have made a difference.i'm not sying to bench jd but he wasn't effective playing hurt.as far as "it's only the first game"-yes it is-but we need to beat teams like tampa bay if we're going to be successful.our division is way to tough to give games like that away.also it's not just one game it's been seventeen games of the same bad coaching.

i understand what you mean about continuity but the only continuity i'm seeing is bad coaching, bad play calling,bad clock management and more bad coaching.i don't like constantly changing qbs like last year but yesterday jds foot injury was affecting his play.it would have been good to see more of the seneca wallace josh cribbs combo more than just once, maybe it would have made a difference.i'm not sying to bench jd but he wasn't effective playing hurt.as far as "it's only the first game"-yes it is-but we need to beat teams like tampa bay if we're going to be successful.our division is way to tough to give games like that away.also it's not just one game it's been seventeen games of the same bad coaching.

Yes, I'll agree about seeing more of Cribbs and Wallace in the game. I'll go as far to say as far as the coaching staff goes that Daboll is the weakest link. With that being said, it is easier to replace a coordinator, than a head coach. I think Mangini has brought discipline to this team whereas in years past it was severely lacking and a country club atmosphere. Now the team needs to learn how to win. I think that will come. We just need to give this some time to develop. This loss hurt, no doubt, but it isn't quite time to hop off of the bandwagon, or call for the coach's head. Hell, I don't even know that I would do that if we're winless going into November. This current front office has had to sift through the crap left over from the previous regime and change the culture of the organization which has been notorious for losing, and being a country club atmosphere since 1999. Holmgren, and Mangini will not allow the nonsense, that was seen in the past, and I have to believe that we have nowhere to go but up. Also, we need to develop that home field advantage. In other words we have got to make it so damn loud down there that it is unbearable for the Chiefs or any opponents visiting CBS! Once upon a time we as fans carried this team to victory! Those seats should BE full before kickoff, and that stadium going crazy instead of waiting last minute to get to your seats. Let's help our team get inside the opponents heads and let them know that when you come to Cleveland you're in for a fight!

Archived