THE BROWNS BOARD

Learning Guitar

CLEVELandMILIDH

I've been teaching myself how to play acoustic guitar for the past few months and this is one of the first songs I've learned. Sorry my webcam blows but let me know what you think

Not bad for a few months. Keep at it. It will eventually sound cleaner. Your fingers will get stronger.

From the beginning, start singing when you are playing, every time. That is the real talent. There are millions of guitar players that shred other people songs or crappy musicals, like bullshit Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen that take pride in musical masterbation. They only connect with people, well, who play that exact same music.

Keep it up.

Thanks man, I think part of it not sounding clean is because I dont use a pick. It feels more natural for me fingerpicking, so Im going with that right now. As for singing, I wasn't blessed with that gene. I've thought about vocal lessons. It would be really cool to be able to sing my own songs while playing guitar, I just dont think there's much hope for me in that regard...lol

Thanks man, I think part of it not sounding clean is because I dont use a pick. It feels more natural for me fingerpicking, so Im going with that right now. As for singing, I wasn't blessed with that gene. I've thought about vocal lessons. It would be really cool to be able to sing my own songs while playing guitar, I just dont think there's much hope for me in that regard...lol

Have you ever heard Keith Richards sing, wholey shit. But damn sure he knows how Micks voice should should when writing awesome songs like Jumping Jack Flash (which they wrote together about Keith's Japanese gardener, after a night of drugs). Don't worry about the talent of singing, worry about how the pitch of someone's voice correlates with the chord changes. Say you are playing A, well D and E sound good. Not only that, take Jack White for example. He has a certain pitch individual to him and uses changes in a unique way. Coupled with certain lyric line lengths and the guitar it produces good music.

Practice singing and it will help you play better. Even though you won't be a singer.

Listen to this an how he changes his voice to one simple bass line over the guitar during the verse. It's an instrument, ugly or not.

• 5 months later...

Alright buddy I took your advice and started singing while playing, which is one of the hardest thing's if ever tried to do. Bare with my horrible vocals, you should've heard me the first time I tried it. Its alot more fun singing while playing though. Hope I don't hurt your ears to bad :) enjoy.

Yea it needs alot of work, I've been doing it everyday though and can tell I'm better now than when I recorded that.

What is my range? Should that be sung with a higher pitch? What songs do you think would fit my range better, and how can I expand my range

I would find songs that you can sing well too. Match their pitch or range and go with that.

Archived