THE BROWNS BOARD

staying the course

B&G

Speaking as a Steeler fan from the 50's and the 60's I feel the pain that the Browns fans are going through. Steeler fans were having the same problems back then. We were losing every season, and even though we had high draft picks, we were never able to turn the corner. This all changed when Chuck Noll was hired as coach and insisted he had the last word on draft choices. Within two years only four Steelers remained of the team he inherited. The rest is history regarding the Steeler's turn around.

My point being---you cannot keep changing management, changing coaches every three years and expect to field a winner. Give your existing personnel at least three years to prove their worth. Then if there is no improvement, find new personnel. Since the Browns retuned in 1999, count how many coaches and quarterbacks they have gone through, and compare that to the winning franchises in the league.

The Browns had great teams in the 50's and the 80's, and if patience is showed they can have good teams again. I will always be a Steeler fan, but I believe the loyal Brown fans deserve to have a decent and winning team.

Speaking as a Steeler fan from the 50's and the 60's I feel the pain that the Browns fans are going through. Steeler fans were having the same problems back then. We were losing every season, and even though we had high draft picks, we were never able to turn the corner. This all changed when Chuck Noll was hired as coach and insisted he had the last word on draft choices. Within two years only four Steelers remained of the team he inherited. The rest is history regarding the Steeler's turn around.

My point being---you cannot keep changing management, changing coaches every three years and expect to field a winner. Give your existing personnel at least three years to prove their worth. Then if there is no improvement, find new personnel. Since the Browns retuned in 1999, count how many coaches and quarterbacks they have gone through, and compare that to the winning franchises in the league.

The Browns had great teams in the 50's and the 80's, and if patience is showed they can have good teams again. I will always be a Steeler fan, but I believe the loyal Brown fans deserve to have a decent and winning team.

I can appreciate that, but I do not think Holmgren wilkl keep Mangini and Daboll around after this year if they go belly up like they have so far.

Pretty good in the 60's too.

Classy post. You are a breath of fresh air compared to some of the others from your fanbase that come here and post. But at any rate you're right about having some continuity! There has to be the right mix too. Going back to 1999 I honestly think that had Tim Couch had a better supporting cast he wouldn't have been a bust, and probably would have still been playing, and perhaps even with the Browns. Given that the guy had no RB or no O-line, we destroyed the man. He wasn't the greatest, but he had heart! I also truly feel that had Al Lerner not passed away suddenly the team wouldn't have gone into such disarray, because after the first 2 seasons back they were on the right track.

Look, we may appear to be bitter, and angry, but all we want is the team to win and give us something to be proud of! I wasn't born the last time the Browns won a championship, and the 80s teams are my most memorable, and we all know the outcome of those seasons! Clearly the favorites to get the the Super Bowl in the AFC, and bounced by Elway and the Broncos each time.

Pretty good in the 60's too.

Other than the Packers I think the Browns had the best record in that decade. In fact, in checking the PFHOF website, here are some stats:

1940s

Franchise Yrs. W L T Pct.

Chicago Bears 10 81 26 3 .757

Washington Redskins 10 65 41 4 .613

Green Bay Packers 10 62 44 4 .585

Philadelphia Eagles 9 53 43 4 .552

New York Giants 10 55 47 8 .539

1950s

Cleveland Browns 10 88 30 2 .746

New York Giants 10 76 41 3 .650

Chicago Bears 10 70 48 2 .593

Detroit Lions 10 68 48 4 .586

Los Angeles Rams 10 68 49 3 .581

1960s

Green Bay Packers 10 96 37 5 .722

Cleveland Browns 10 92 41 5 .692

Baltimore Colts 10 92 42 4 .687

Kansas City Chiefs 10 87 48 5 .644

San Diego Chargers 10 86 48 6 .642

The only reason they didn't include the Browns record during the decade of the 40s was because they only played 4 years. Had they included them, they would have been the best.

The problem is if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck its a duck.

We have hired poorly..

To use ur analogy of staying the course, its like us being on a boat and seeing the rocks 100 ft ahead. Sometime you need to cut ur losses. When we do find the right coach he will be here for a while

Along those lines, here are the best records per decade since the 60s:

1970s

Dallas Cowboys 10 105 39 0 .729

Miami Dolphins 10 104 39 1 .727

Oakland Raiders 10 100 38 6 .721

Los Angeles Rams 10 98 42 4 .697

Minnesota Vikings 10 99 43 2 .694

1980s

San Francisco 49ers 10 104 47 1 .688

Washington Redskins 10 97 55 0 .638

Miami Dolphins 10 94 57 1 .622

Denver Broncos 10 93 58 1 .615

Chicago Bears 10 92 60 0 .605

1990s

San Francisco 49ers 10 113 47 0 .706

Buffalo Bills 10 103 57 0 .644

Kansas City Chiefs 10 102 58 0 .638

Dallas Cowboys 10 101 59 0 .631

Jacksonville Jaguars 5 49 31 0 .613

2000s

Indianapolis Colts 10 115 45 0 .719

New England Patriots 10 112 48 0 .700

Philadelphia Eagles 10 103 56 1 .647

Pittsburgh Steelers 10 103 56 1 .647

Green Bay Packers 10 95 65 0

Here is an anomaly in this: During the decade of the 70s, the Steelers were not among the top 5 best records even though they obviously dominated it from a winning titles perspective. I found that bizarre.

The "talent pool" of the Browns has most definitely improved this year & last. As has been so well stated earlier in this thread, let's be patient, stick with what we have in place, continue to build, & see what happens. I feel we can build off the positive moves of 2009 & so far in 2010.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

BTW, I remember the Browns & Steelers of the '50s & '60s. B&G is right on the money.

Archived