THE BROWNS BOARD

The Alex Smith Method

TheClevelandSound

The Alex Smith Method is defined as: A method used by the coaching staff and the front office in the National Football League by drafting a quarterback with talent in college and potential to become a great NFL quarterback, letting him develop and playing him in his second year, no earlier. This method entails that if the quarterback fails or has a downward spiral, keep him in and develop him until maturity takes hold and results will occur.

Thats my definition. What they did with Alex Smith is going to pay off. They drafted the kid 6 years ago, and now he is finally the QB they have wanted to see. Patients is a virtue. The Browns didn't use this method with Brady Quinn nor Tim Couch. I hope we use it with Colt. Its the fans fault first and foremost. We like to have a winner "now" so if a prospective QB fails, we scream "bust!" and draft a new one.

Next year, when/if Colt starts, and he does terrible, slow down, and wait. It will pay off.

It works 60% of the time, every time.

The Alex Smith Method is defined as: A method used by the coaching staff and the front office in the National Football League by drafting a quarterback with talent in college and potential to become a great NFL quarterback, letting him develop and playing him in his second year, no earlier. This method entails that if the quarterback fails or has a downward spiral, keep him in and develop him until maturity takes hold and results will occur.

Thats my definition. What they did with Alex Smith is going to pay off. They drafted the kid 6 years ago, and now he is finally the QB they have wanted to see. Patients is a virtue. The Browns didn't use this method with Brady Quinn nor Tim Couch. I hope we use it with Colt. Its the fans fault first and foremost. We like to have a winner "now" so if a prospective QB fails, we scream "bust!" and draft a new one.

Next year, when/if Colt starts, and he does terrible, slow down, and wait. It will pay off.

I contemplated making another username just so I could thank this again.

Pretty sure the 49ers played him the year they drafted him. He threw 1 TD and 11 Picks and had a 0-7 record or something as a starter. The only reason he's still around is because the team invested a ton of money in him and they couldn't find anyone better.

And now we're saying he's successful? Dude's stats after the first two games are 1 TD, 4 PICKS, a fumble, and a 65 passer rating. Color me unimpressed. Dude's a bust and always will be.

And now we're saying he's successful? Dude's stats after the first two games are 1 TD, 4 PICKS, a fumble, and a 65 passer rating. Color me unimpressed. Dude's a bust and always will be.

he looked better than that last night BUT who waits 6 years for a qb to develop? didn't he cost one staff their jobs? and how much more money did they have to spend on other guys while he 'developed'? i don't think most franchises have the money or patience to waste for the time in between drafting and developing.

He also had 5 different offensive coordinators in 5 straight seasons. This is now the first year in his career that he's had the same offensive coordinator return from the previous season. I'm not saying he's an all star QB, but he's serviceable. He drove the Niners down the field to tie the game, and the defense just couldn't pull through for him.

I just like the dedication they showed him. I'm not saying I want us to wait 6 years for Colt to develop, but I definitely want him to sit out this year and get some learning under his belt like Smith did. I know Smith played 9 games in his first season, but that was a completely different situation.

The 49ers had no veteran QB's, they had Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey trying to lead them down the field. They draft Smith, he plays some, gets hurt and they go to Dorsey. Then they bring in Dilfer for a year, and Smith gets to learn a little from him. Then they bring in J.T. O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill, and Smith gets to sit out and learn. They bring in a new OC last season, Smith gets the nod and plays....decent. Not spectacular by any means. This season, he finally gets to work under the same offense he learned the last year, and he's playing....decent again. He shows flashes of brilliance with some great decisions and throws, but then makes a mistake or two. It doesn't hurt for him to be backed up by a tremendous running back. Or to have a stable of pretty good receiving options.

Now look at the situation Smith was put through in San Fran. Kind of makes you wonder what Colt is capable of if he sits out this year and learns from two solid vets, as well as one of the greatest QB evaluators of the modern era of football.

The guy has a career QB rating of 69, similar to Quinn and Anderson ... should we have held on to them?

The 49ers are 0-2, just like us, and their QB has a current rating of 64.9, worse than ours ...

Nobody has five years to wait on a QB ... as another poster said, he's just lucky nobody better came along all those years.

Zombo

He also finished last season with 225 completions for 2,350 yards and 18 TDs in only 11 games with an 81.5 rating.Extrapolating the numbers through 16 games, he would have finished with 327 completions for 3,418 yards, 26 TDs and 17 INTs, for an 81.7 rating. That's pretty similar to DA's 2007 season, the year everybody was proclaiming him to be the next God of Cleveland.

It's only two games into the season, one of which was against the defending Super Bowl Champions and another against a much improved Seattle team. He'll probably finish the season better than any QB we've currently got on our roster.

I don't want to comment on Alex Smith although I will admit that he's better than he was. Your point, however, rings very true in that this is a "win soon if not now" league. Alex Smith did cost a ton of money and he cost quite a few guys their jobs.

I think that many of the teams at the bottom keep continually bailing on their players and coaches to the point where there is no continuity and the losing perpetuates itself. There isn't enough patience in the NFL because the media and the fans have louder voices than they used to.

It's amazing what a bad selection at QB can do to an organization (or a bad draft or two in general). There isn't enough room for error to whiff on these anymore.

Alex Smith is finally starting to look like a decent starting QB (at times, he's still a bit inconsistent), but I think that if they didn't rush him in as a rookie and then go through a new offensive coordinator like every single season since they drafted him then he would've come along a lot quicker and smoother. Either way he's nowhere near as great as Aaron Rodgers, who they passed on and a lot of people said they should've taken.

From one of my recent Trivia threads I noted as how Len Dawson had been with the Steelers for 3 years, with the Browns for 2 years, then got picked up by the Chiefs and became a Hall of Famer.

Once upon a time, back in the 70s/80s it was proclaimed that it took 5 years for a QB to truly develop.

I do think today that many QBs are rushed along too fast.

It took Terry Bradshaw about 5 years to really come into his own I recall. Joe Montana took about 3 years.

Some of the so called colossal busts, like Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, even Tim Couch are considered that because they were probably rushed in too soon. Maybe they should have been given the 3-5 years that development and maturity of a QB may require.

Maybe Smith will prove this theory right: Give these guys time to mature.

There may be few Marinos and Kosars out there that can come in and be good their 1st or second year in the league.

Colt McCoy being given a couple of years at least to learn is a good thing in my opinion.

Warren Moon spent 5 years in the CFL. Kurt Warner a few years in the arena league.

Patience.

From one of my recent Trivia threads I noted as how Len Dawson had been with the Steelers for 3 years, with the Browns for 2 years, then got picked up by the Chiefs and became a Hall of Famer.

Once upon a time, back in the 70s/80s it was proclaimed that it took 5 years for a QB to truly develop.

I do think today that many QBs are rushed along too fast.

It took Terry Bradshaw about 5 years to really come into his own I recall. Joe Montana took about 3 years.

Some of the so called colossal busts, like Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, even Tim Couch are considered that because they were probably rushed in too soon. Maybe they should have been given the 3-5 years that development and maturity of a QB may require.

Maybe Smith will prove this theory right: Give these guys time to mature.

There may be few Marinos and Kosars out there that can come in and be good their 1st or second year in the league.

Colt McCoy being given a couple of years at least to learn is a good thing in my opinion.

Warren Moon spent 5 years in the CFL. Kurt Warner a few years in the arena league.

Patience

Our problem is that we have a completely new FO, HC, and coaches every five years who have different ideas about how to run this team with a completely different list of "their people".

Archived