THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini: We need more Cribbs in the WildDawg

calfoxwc

Browns coach Mangini: We need more Cribbs in the WildDawg

Reuters – Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Cribbs (16) makes a catch for a 65 yard touchdown against the Kansas … .– Wed Sep 22, 10:15 am ET

By Garrett Downing, NewsNet5/WEWS-TV

For a team that has struggled to score points the last two seasons, the Cleveland Browns know their one bright spot has been Josh Cribbs. He can stretch defenses and is a threat to score from just about any position on the field.

“He’s a dynamic player,” wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi said. “I think everybody knows what Josh can do with the ball in his hands. Special things happen.”

But two games into the season, the promise of using Cribbs in creative offensive packages—specifically taking snaps out of the backfield—remains to be seen.

“That’s something I would have done more of, in retrospect,” coach Eric Mangini said during Monday’s press conference.

The Browns have used the WildDawg formation five times in the first two games, averaging 4.2 yards per play. With Cribbs as a WildDawg, it brings another element to the team’s offense because he is a threat to run like a power back, or fake the run and throw deep.

That versatility makes him a vital game-planning piece for offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who has become a punching bag for fans upset with the team’s scoring production.

After Sunday’s loss to Kansas City, Mangini was also calling for more of the WildDawg.

“There’s a lot of things that, when you have a chance to sit in your offense and analyze, you think of,” Mangini said. “There are some decisions that you’d like to have back.”

Cribbs touched the ball four times on offense against the Chiefs, and his return game was limited because Kansas City kicked away from him. Daboll and Mangini met on Monday and discussed the team’s use of the WildDawg.

“We talked about it and are both in agreement,” Mangini said. “We should have done it more.”

Working Cribbs into more of the offense was a key objective during the off-season, and the coaches talked about utilizing his skills as a ball carrier, receiver and a thrower. But so far, Cribbs has mostly been used as a traditional wide receiver and return man.

He appears more comfortable as a wideout and showed that with a 65-yard touchdown catch from Seneca Wallace on Sunday. But fans still wonder if the Browns are taking advantage of his full potential.

Now, with a brutal schedule over the next five weeks, fans are hoping to see Cribbs with the ball in his hands more often, and it looks like Mangini thinks the WildDawg is part of the solution.

“Just to get Josh more touches,” Mangini said about the benefit of the WildDawg. “I think with him, they may load the box, they may do a lot of different things. He’s got a chance on any play.”

Browns coach Mangini: We need more Cribbs in the WildDawg

Reuters – Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Cribbs (16) makes a catch for a 65 yard touchdown against the Kansas … .– Wed Sep 22, 10:15 am ET

By Garrett Downing, NewsNet5/WEWS-TV

For a team that has struggled to score points the last two seasons, the Cleveland Browns know their one bright spot has been Josh Cribbs. He can stretch defenses and is a threat to score from just about any position on the field.

“He’s a dynamic player,” wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi said. “I think everybody knows what Josh can do with the ball in his hands. Special things happen.”

But two games into the season, the promise of using Cribbs in creative offensive packages—specifically taking snaps out of the backfield—remains to be seen.

“That’s something I would have done more of, in retrospect,” coach Eric Mangini said during Monday’s press conference.

The Browns have used the WildDawg formation five times in the first two games, averaging 4.2 yards per play. With Cribbs as a WildDawg, it brings another element to the team’s offense because he is a threat to run like a power back, or fake the run and throw deep.

That versatility makes him a vital game-planning piece for offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who has become a punching bag for fans upset with the team’s scoring production.

After Sunday’s loss to Kansas City, Mangini was also calling for more of the WildDawg.

“There’s a lot of things that, when you have a chance to sit in your offense and analyze, you think of,” Mangini said. “There are some decisions that you’d like to have back.”

Cribbs touched the ball four times on offense against the Chiefs, and his return game was limited because Kansas City kicked away from him. Daboll and Mangini met on Monday and discussed the team’s use of the WildDawg.

“We talked about it and are both in agreement,” Mangini said. “We should have done it more.”

Working Cribbs into more of the offense was a key objective during the off-season, and the coaches talked about utilizing his skills as a ball carrier, receiver and a thrower. But so far, Cribbs has mostly been used as a traditional wide receiver and return man.

He appears more comfortable as a wideout and showed that with a 65-yard touchdown catch from Seneca Wallace on Sunday. But fans still wonder if the Browns are taking advantage of his full potential.

Now, with a brutal schedule over the next five weeks, fans are hoping to see Cribbs with the ball in his hands more often, and it looks like Mangini thinks the WildDawg is part of the solution.

“Just to get Josh more touches,” Mangini said about the benefit of the WildDawg. “I think with him, they may load the box, they may do a lot of different things. He’s got a chance on any play.”

Josh is our Pro Bowl playmaker. Giving him less than 15 to 20 touches a game is not going to help our chances to win. Just get him the damn ball. Looking for Davis to give the running game something more than what we have had lately. He has the fresh legs let see if he and Hillis can open things up.

Josh is our Pro Bowl playmaker. Giving him less than 15 to 20 touches a game is not going to help our chances to win. Just get him the damn ball. Looking for Davis to give the running game something more than what we have had lately. He has the fresh legs let see if he and Hillis can open things up.

As i sit here arm chair coaching i realize the season is still young and we have had speed rotting on the sidelines in the form of davis and mitchell for 2 games instead of them being properly introduced to the nfl and implemented into our rigid static system, and when teams like KC refuse to kick to cribbs there is no reason to not use cribbs even more to punish them for their error, when you have a guy like cribbs you have to make the other team wonder which is better kick it to him or deal with him a lot more throughout the game?...cribbs needs at least 15-20 touches in games that he isnt being kicked to...

Losing games by not being able to score in the 2nd half and blaming it on player errors is unacceptable, as a matter of fact its borderline bogus as there are reasons why our guys cant get anything going in the second half and its called being outsmarted and outhustled by the other teams coach and coordinators, it has to suck as a player to know you are lining up to fail because the defense already knows your next move...this is a pro league and only the clever, creative, smart, multitasking coaches that are determined to truly provide their team with the best chance to win by accepting nothing less than the best assistants and gameplanning survive in the end...and ours isnt one of them..

Daboll needs to be replaced yesterday but im not convinced that dabs isnt merely a puppet implementing mangini's system...its something the jets excellent OC knows a little about...

As i sit here arm chair coaching i realize the season is still young and we have had speed rotting on the sidelines in the form of davis and mitchell for 2 games instead of them being properly introduced to the nfl and implemented into our rigid static system, and when teams like KC refuse to kick to cribbs there is no reason to not use cribbs even more to punish them for their error, when you have a guy like cribbs you have to make the other team wonder which is better kick it to him or deal with him a lot more throughout the game?...cribbs needs at least 15-20 touches in games that he isnt being kicked to...

Losing games by not being able to score in the 2nd half and blaming it on player errors is unacceptable, as a matter of fact its borderline bogus as there is reasons why our guys cant get anything going in the second half and its called being outsmarted and outhustled by the other teams coach and coordinators, it has to suck as a player to know you are lining up to fail because the defense already knows your next move...this is a pro league and only the determined, clever and creative survive in the end...

James Davis got a kick return on Sunday. He was in the game in case they didn't kick to Cribbs. Vickers is normally in that spot.

not sold.

if cribbs were a legitimate WR/RB he'd be playing the position. he's a wonderful athlete, but just like devin hester is never gonna be a pro bowl WR neither is cribbs.

there's a difference between athletes and positional players..........Hines Ward is NOT the athlete that cribbs is and never could have been.......Cribbs is NOT the WR that Ward is and NEVER WILL BE.

if all it took was speed and athletisism then Ussain Bolt (no idea on how to spell his name) would be playing in the NFL right now.

not sold.

if cribbs were a legitimate WR/RB he'd be playing the position. he's a wonderful athlete, but just like devin hester is never gonna be a pro bowl WR neither is cribbs.

there's a difference between athletes and positional players..........Hines Ward is NOT the athlete that cribbs is and never could have been.......Cribbs is NOT the WR that Ward is and NEVER WILL BE.

if all it took was speed and athletisism then Ussain Bolt (no idea on how to spell his name) would be playing in the NFL right now.

though i typically despise your posts i gotta agree with you here. there is no i in team and a team shouldn't have to rely on one guy as well. cribbs is a dynamic talented player and to see him in a couple different situations on offense is fine, but to say the offense has to run through him is stupid. how about we learn how to run the flippin' ball?

though i typically despise your posts i gotta agree with you here. there is no i in team and a team shouldn't have to rely on one guy as well. cribbs is a dynamic talented player and to see him in a couple different situations on offense is fine, but to say the offense has to run through him is stupid. how about we learn how to run the flippin' ball?

100% agree

Cribbs needs to be in the game if for nothing else to occupy a defender or two,show the potential to get him the ball...the defense has to account for him.

But the WildDawg is a gimmick...good for a play or 6 during the course of a game...not 15 or 20...thats not going building a system

Commit to running the football

Archived