THE BROWNS BOARD

Eric Wright sucks

DieHardBrownsFan

Pressuring the QB will always help make a bad CB look better, but it wouldn't have mattered today. On the TD receptions he wasn't even in position to make a play. As we already said...on the 2nd one he nearly was out of the back of the end zone while Boldin ran in front of him....what the hell is going to do 5 yards behind the guy in the end zone?

I agree Homo, but he got TORCHED for 150+ and 3 TD's and the coverage he was playing was horrid.

The pass rush can help but you gotta make plays, Asamougha has a bad pass rush in Oakland but he can lock down #1's.

Aso has a pretty solid defense. You can't expect one CB to completely shut down a elite WR. Revis and Aso still have help over the top but more importantly they have d-lines getting pressure. Give Flacco all day and he's going to do some damage. Eric Wright isn't the goat in this one if you ask me. Ryan is also a bum but I've been saying that for a while as well. He looks the part and that's about it.

Aso has a pretty solid defense. You can't expect one CB to completely shut down a elite WR. Revis and Aso still have help over the top but more importantly they have d-lines getting pressure. Give Flacco all day and he's going to do some damage. Eric Wright isn't the goat in this one if you ask me. Ryan is also a bum but I've been saying that for a while as well. He looks the part and that's about it.

Dude, did you even see the Browns/Ravens game today? If not, STFU for a day or two and let others discuss it. No one is talking about anyone shutting Boldin down, we are merely suggesting that we could have at least contested him. Go watch Sports Center, I think in the second TD you can see Wright's left hand in the corner of the TV while Boldin is scoring ... start there, then move to the Third TD where we had an all-out blitz on and Boldin shifted a 1/3 of his weight to the right (the same direction Wrights jock strap flew) and ran a non-contested seam route for an easy TD. Stop making broad stroke excuses on football 101, we are bitching about effort and heart, and your luke-warm guessing of the game comes off stupid. No offense, I just really don't have the stomach for you Steeler fucks today ... We are here to vent about the Browns, get out of the way.

Just when you think we have a solid situation at cb here comes Wright looking like the second coming of Brandon McDonald... WTF? Did wright have money on the ravens today or what? I'm rewatching the game on dvr and on the touchdown drive that put the ratbirds up 14-3 he isn't within 10 yards of Boldin on several plays. Let's hope this is an aberration for Wright. He is actually considered a pretty decent corner around the league.

I think in the second TD you can see Wright's left hand in the corner of the TV while Boldin is scoring ... start there, then move to the Third TD where we had an all-out blitz on and Boldin shifted a 1/3 of his weight to the right (the same direction Wrights jock strap flew)

FXXKING HILARIOUS!!!!! yeah i'm in a pretty shitty mood too. it's getting to the point where my GF doesn't even want to be around me on sundays. hey but i do think on an overall basis that we are improving. just think that rob ryan can be just as stubborn and block-headed as his brother rex. problem is: the talent on his D isn't the same.

Dude, did you even see the Browns/Ravens game today? If not, STFU for a day or two and let others discuss it. No one is talking about anyone shutting Boldin down, we are merely suggesting that we could have at least contested him. Go watch Sports Center, I think in the second TD you can see Wright's left hand in the corner of the TV while Boldin is scoring ... start there, then move to the Third TD where we had an all-out blitz on and Boldin shifted a 1/3 of his weight to the right (the same direction Wrights jock strap flew) and ran a non-contested seam route for an easy TD. Stop making broad stroke excuses on football 101, we are bitching about effort and heart, and your luke-warm guessing of the game comes off stupid. No offense, I just really don't have the stomach for you Steeler xxxxs today ... We are here to vent about the Browns, get out of the way.

Stan, I agree Wright had a horrendous game- on the first TD he got beat on, he didn't even put his arms up to maybe distract the receiver.

The second TD was a joke Boldin beat him so badly- but don't forget, Ward was real close to knocking Flacco on his as on that play.

And drop the help BS. Mason and Hooshie-moosie had 34 yards in receptions. Rest of the team got pretty much shut down. Hooshie had one freaking reception. Give the Ratbirds credit for finding the weak link, and exploiting it. You pull coverage to double Boldin, and someone else goes off- ya think?

Bottom line again- no pass rush. Hayden's already playing at an all-pro level, but until we can scare opposing qbs it isn't going to matter.

Stan, I agree Wright had a horrendous game- on the first TD he got beat on, he didn't even put his arms up to maybe distract the receiver.

The second TD was a joke Boldin beat him so badly- but don't forget, Ward was real close to knocking Flacco on his as on that play.

And drop the help BS. Mason and Hooshie-moosie had 34 yards in receptions. Rest of the team got pretty much shut down. Hooshie had one freaking reception. Give the Ratbirds credit for finding the weak link, and exploiting it. You pull coverage to double Boldin, and someone else goes off- ya think?

Bottom line again- no pass rush. Haden's already playing at an all-pro level, but until we can scare opposing qbs it isn't going to matter.

Joe Haden??? He hardly got on the field. The most action he saw was on the consecutive series that we sent the Ravens packing 3-and-out. That's my point, When he is in, he is playing excellent and would have surely contested Boldin becuase that is the type of player Haden is. Haden & Sheldon Brown play physical, where Wright is more of a finesse CB. Today called for someone to get physical with Boldin at the line, slow or alter his route, which allows for a pass rush to finish off the paly as well. Boldin was making half-ass jukes at the line and was running wide-open thereafter.

Defense has to hold a team when it's 2nd and 23. Period. And on the go-ahead drive they let Baltimore out of jail.

The defense just did not get it done in the 4th quarter today. This team was in a position to win a divisional game on the road against an opponent who was favored by 10.5 points. Now that right there ought to tell you something about the preparation in Berea this week. But I digress.

The defense had played well coming into this game and outside of Wright's play and the overall play in the fourth quarter they continue to give reason for optimism. For starters, Ray Rice and the rest of the running game was contained. Next, Joe Haden is proving he's a tremendous cover corner in the making. The defense will be a top ten unit with about three more players. A strong safety, an inside linebacker, and a disruptive defensive tackle/end.

This loss sucks. Hell, every loss sucks. But this fan base has to understand that the Browns are far, far, far from being a team we can expect to win week in and week out. People, we need to give Mangini and his staff a little bit of common sense and perspective. Until this team adds some playmakers on the offensive side (QB, #1 receiver) this team is just going to have to grind out the wins.

That being said, I think Cincinnati is ripe for an upset next week. Palmer is playing like crap and we are stopping the run. Let's just hope our offense can get a few things going at home.

At 1:55 the fans started calling for Wright to be taken out, but the coaching staff decided to leave him in there for another two hours so that our season could completely go down the drain.

Zombo

--I'm about as disgusted as I've ever been

At 1:55 the fans started calling for Wright to be taken out, but the coaching staff decided to leave him in there for another two hours so that our season could completely go down the drain.

Zombo

--I'm about as disgusted as I've ever been

OK, I've read in a bunch of places that EW was not right both Phys. and mentally. So why was he still playing and getting burned? That's the biggest problem with this coaching staff they can't make an adjustment and that is what is scary. They almost seem like in their quest for stability they are completely inflexible.

EW doesn't always suck it just wasn't his day and he should have had a seat.

OK, I've read in a bunch of places that EW was not right both Phys. and mentally. So why was he still playing and getting burned? That's the biggest problem with this coaching staff they can't make an adjustment and that is what is scary. They almost seem like in their quest for stability they are completely inflexible.

EW doesn't always suck it just wasn't his day and he should have had a seat.

Well said. When it is the same guy again and again (the only guy that scored, actually... minus Cundiff) it is going to be more obvious and easy to blame one guy. Was that last TD an all out Safety Blitz? I was wondering where the help was.

OR, God forbid they adjust after Wright gets burned the first two times and give him some help.

What coverage scheme were the Browns DB running when Wright got beat?

Seemed to me (without ANY DVR or anything of course) that it was either straight man or some sort of zone blitzing with EW 1 on 1 with Boldin.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't have Ward helping cover center field when that was clearly where the weakness would be.

I love hindsight.

My honest guess would be that the coaches knew what was up with wright, but figuered once he got into the game, and got beat like a mule his competitive fire would take over and he would tighen up. That wasnt the same eric wright weve seen in the past. He will be better next game I guarantee it.

Second part is by the time Boldin scored his second touchdown he was on fire, nobody in the nfl couldve covered him its like when he who must not be named was on the cavs, when he started scoring he was darn near impossible to stop.

or watching moss run over revis a few weeks ago Moss was jacked up about it and he was in revis's head.

Seemed to me (without ANY DVR or anything of course) that it was either straight man or some sort of zone blitzing with EW 1 on 1 with Boldin.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't have Ward helping cover center field when that was clearly where the weakness would be.

I love hindsight.

Ward was sent on the safety blitz on the play where Wright got beat. They were in the nickel, with a man lock coverage. We brought 7 on the blitz against the Ravens spread package. The Ravens had 5 eligible receivers with McGahee at RB, Heap at H-Back and Anquan in the slot. McGahee and Heap stayed in to block, which left man on their three receivers. Mike Adams was sent in on the blitz draw, and he dropped back into shallow zone coverage. Haden had Houshmanzadeh, and Sheldon had Mason, I'm assuming.

It was 3rd and 5 from the 26, a safety blitz probably wasn't the best call on that play with Baltimore's deep threats and Flacco's arm. Either way, that play wasn't really EW's fault. It's pretty damn hard to match up 1 on 1 with Boldin even on your best day.

It seemed like EW was 1 on 1 with Boldin all day almost, with safety help most of the time.

EDIT:

On Boldin's first TD reception, it was 2nd and 6 from our 8 yard line. They ran a single back set, with the slot receiver in motion We were in the 4-3 under, with Fujita on the line a gap outside the weak tackle. The line was shifted weak and we brought 5 on the blitz (four DL and Fujita). Barton and Gocong played shallow hook zones after half-ass blitz drawing to the line. Adams and Ward played goal line zones, and Sheldon and EW were in man lock coverage on the receivers. The Ravens only ran two routes on that play, with Anquan running a lazy post/slant to the middle of the endzone, and Mason running a deep comeback at the goal line.

On Boldin's second TD reception, it was 2nd and 6 from our 12 yard line. The ran strong I and a two TE set. We were in the base 3-4, with Roth on the line. We brought Sheldon on the corner blitz from the weak side, and Gocong on the blitz through the gut. Barton was in man coverage on their RB, and Costanzo had man lock on Ed Dickson, their strong side TE. Heap was weak TE and ran a 10 yard out, drawing Mike Adams to the left sideline. Dickson ran a 12 yard cross, which drew Ward and Costanzo left of the goal post, and Anquan ran a simple post route to beat EW's man coverage. It could have easily been a TD pass to Dickson if Ward had flowed to Boldin's route, which would have left Costanzo on an island with Dickson in the back of the endzone.

Maybe this is more of a case for us to get a true game changing WR than saying EW sucks....

The guy is legit as far as I am concerned... Revis got beat by Moss, Wright got beat by Boldin...

At least it wasn't B. McDonald getting beat by Eddie Royal.

I have seen him get picked apart more than any other CB in the game. At this point in his career, he should be able to play 1 on 1 and succeed every now and then. He's terrible.

Agreed ,now is a good time to start your first round pick[Joe Haden].The new front office had to see how bad Wright and McDonald played last year.Start the Rookie ,now is the right time.

It's unbelievable we have over 140 yards rushing and still lose. Wright and Ryan lost this on for us. Looking at the highlights, Boldin is WIDE OPEN. Ryan should have taken Wright off him or at least got him help. It was disgusting.

Even more disgusting is we didn't even try to get Boldin this offseason.

Everyone on here said we were set on WR's since we have the "amazing" Robiskie.

All in all, maybe EW is a better zone corner than man corner. I don't think we're able to run these blitz packages with our corners. Sheldon has lost a step, but is still a surprisingly fast zone corner, and EW just might not have what it takes to stick a number one receiver all game.

Lets get Haden a start and see what he can do, or just consistently run the nickel package. Our run defense will take a hit, but it should improve our passing d.

Archived