THE BROWNS BOARD

Signed Sam Aiken

USFBrown

Cleveland Browns: Veteran Wide Receiver Sam Aiken Might Mean Changes Imminent

By

Daniel Wolf

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/476535-...hanges-imminent

The Cleveland Browns are getting a visit from the Cincinnati Bengals this weekend and two of the top young cornerbacks in the NFL, Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall.

Those two corners look to completely shut down a Browns receiver group that...oh wait, there isn't much of a receiver group after three games into the 2010 regular season.

Looking back to before training camp, many Browns fans were screaming for the Browns to pick up a veteran receiver to help teach the young receivers on the roster the ropes during camp and the preseason.

The Browns signed Bobby Engram, who was released prior to the regular season.

Now the Browns are 0-3 going into Week 4 with two starting receivers who have a combined total of five receptions.

Both Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi looked to be improving as route runners in training camp as well as showing glimpses of possible progression during the preseason.

Now it looks like both may have regressed because they are not able to get open to provide any threat in the passing game, which makes opposing defenses bring eight defenders into the box to stop the running game.

Wide receiver project, Josh Cribbs, appears to be the only receiver on the Browns' roster who is actually getting better. Aiken played with Randy Moss and Wes Welker on the Pats. Can he bring what he has learned from them to the Browns in 2010?

He may look a bit awkward as a receiver, but remember that he also wears bigger pads since he is such a physical receiver too.

Prior to the Week 3 game versus the Baltimore Ravens, both Robiskie and rookie Carlton Mitchell went down in different practices with injuries and both were inactive for the Ravens game.

So the Browns went out and signed former New England Patriot Sam Aiken.

Aiken is a 6'2" 220 pound eight-year veteran, who is a journeyman and career backup.

He may not have been a big-time playmaker, but his addition to the roster could mean several different things.

Aiken could be on the Browns roster because the injuries to Robiskie and/or Mitchell are bad.

Or he is with the team because, outside of Cribbs, there is no real threat in the passing game at the position and someone needed to be brought in for a spark to help Cribbs out on the offense.

Besides Cribbs, the Browns only other playmaker right now is powerhouse back Peyton Hillis, who defenses are now on the look out for after his 144 rushing yards against the Ravens.

Can Aiken help a horrid passing attack?

That is a question that might be answered in the coming weeks because you can bet he will see the field against the Bengals and if he can get open, then he will see more and more playing time as the weeks go on.

That's a fine pickup... but the article makes two mistakes:

Both Momass and Robiskie have been open at times, and Seneca never looked their way.

And, "Besides Cribbs, the Browns only other playmaker right now is powerhouse back Peyton Hillis, who defenses are now on the look out for after his 144 rushing yards against the Ravens."...

he is foolishly forgetting about Ben Watson, who most certainly IS a playmaker.

I hope we see Aiken in for a few plays Sunday. If Seneca will look his way... and NOT throw the stupid passes out of bounds on sideline throws. I hate that.

That's a fine pickup... but the article makes two mistakes:

Both Momass and Robiskie have been open at times, and Seneca never looked their way.

And, "Besides Cribbs, the Browns only other playmaker right now is powerhouse back Peyton Hillis, who defenses are now on the look out for after his 144 rushing yards against the Ravens."...

he is foolishly forgetting about Ben Watson, who most certainly IS a playmaker.

I hope we see Aiken in for a few plays Sunday. If Seneca will look his way... and NOT throw the stupid passes out of bounds on sideline throws. I hate that.

Both MoMass and Robo have been stuffed at the line by the press moer often than they've been open. I've never seen two receivers have such a hard time with press coverage as they do.

It's not Seneca's fault. Sure, he's missed a read or two, but he extends plays. I don't see how this hatred of him is justified.

I don't hate Seneca at all. But he doesn't seem to see the field anywhere near as quickly as Delhomme, that's all.

Maybe it's just because of the different offensive systems terminlogy, I have no idea. Some of his successful passes are late

because of it...

I don't hate Seneca at all. But he doesn't seem to see the field anywhere near as quickly as Delhomme, that's all.

Maybe it's just because of the different offensive systems terminlogy, I have no idea. Some of his successful passes are late

because of it...

I love wallace but what you say is true..there is no truth to momass never getting open robiskie doesnt ever break completely free from what i can see on a tv, but i have seen seneca scan the field and see momass has broken open but take to long to throw it and the safety closes over the top and he has to dump it off or throw it away...

I think its more a timing and rust issue and a fear of screwing up wallace needs to shake off...but jake does read fast almost to fast if you know what i mean...

I love wallace but what you say is true..there is no truth to momass never getting open robiskie doesnt ever break completely free from what i can see on a tv, but i have seen seneca scan the field and see momass has broken open but take to long to throw it and the safety closes over the top and he has to dump it off or throw it away...

I think its more a timing and rust issue and a fear of screwing up wallace needs to shake off...but jake does read fast almost to fast if you know what i mean...

There is plenty of truth to it. Next time you watch a game, focus on them instead of Brady Quinn's butt.

Oh wait, that was last season.

There is plenty of truth to it. Next time you watch a game, focus on them instead of Brady Quinn's butt.

Oh wait, that was last season.

Even the elite WRs dont break wide open very often and momass gets open enough that if the pass is accurately released in the short window it would likely be caught, seneca has some hesitation or he is being given or calling a play that momass is not his primary read or target...

I think if jake hadnt been hurt we would be 2-1 or maybe 3-0...the offensive line is looking awesome now and should give jake some time...for better or worse delhomme isnt afraid to shoot at that small window of slower WRs...

Aiken may or may not be of any real help but it cant hurt...

Archived