THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini after the game from PFT

bigbaddawgjr

After Cleveland's 23-20 win over the Bengals, which gave the Browns their first win of the season, PFT spoke with coach Eric Mangini about the victory.

"It was really important," Mangini told me by phone. "What we've been able to do over the first three weeks was a lot of good things but we couldn't close out the games. It was an important step. It was an important step to win a game."

In the offseason, Mangini explained to me that the 2001 Patriots, who were 1-3 and fading, felt an "avalanche" upon finagling a come-from-behind win over the Chargers. Though he wasn't prepared to say that this win over an in-state rival could be an "avalanche" for the Browns, Mangini said they are "moving closer" to that point.

"Experiences like this help," Mangini said.

"I thought we took a step last week. A year ago when we went to Baltimore and it wasn't even close. And that has changed," he said of a narrow loss to the Ravens in Week Three.

Moving forward, the question is whether the Browns can compete with the likes of the Falcons, Saints, and Steelers. "If we play right type of football week in and week out and close it like we did today we can be competitive in every game," Mangini said.

He said that the team has learned a lot from their losses. "Looking at tape the guys saw the mistakes," Mangini said, "the penalties and turnovers are controllable. They saw a lot of good stuff on tape."

But did the Browns ever panic as the losses piled up? "[it] never felt like we were in a tailspin," Mangini said. "Guys were disappointed but it's a different group of people. There's a sense of resolve here."

I also asked whether Mangini feared that a loss today and three possible losses against the Falcons, Steelers, and Saints would result in a bye-week termination.

"That hasn't been part of my thought process," Mangini said. "We haven't talked in terms of down the road or in terms of the past and focused on here and now. You try to instill that as a head coach but it's easier said than done, and that's an important skill set to have as a team.

"They don't look forward and they don't look back."

For now, they can look forward to a Falcons team that would be 1-3 but for a couple of late wins against the Saints and the 49ers.

For now, they can look forward to a Falcons team that would be 1-3 but for a couple of late wins against the Saints and the 49ers

This is a ridiculous line in this article. Because the Falcons won both games on field goals at the end of games does not mean you can discount the record. You are what your record says you are. The Falcons are 3-1 and will be looking to improve to 4-1 this week against the Browns.

For now, they can look forward to a Falcons team that would be 1-3 but for a couple of late wins against the Saints and the 49ers

This is a ridiculous line in this article. Because the Falcons won both games on field goals at the end of games does not mean you can discount the record. You are what your record says you are. The Falcons are 3-1 and will be looking to improve to 4-1 this week against the Browns.

That is true, and while I would have no problems if the Falcons could revive themselves and win the NFC South this year, do it by beating the teams in your own division, but do it while losing to the Browns.

Archived