THE BROWNS BOARD

How do you stop a balanced offense like the Falcons?

Oldfan

The Falcons are a run-first offense that easily transitions to the passing game when opposing defenses stack the box. Look at the Falcons stats and you see they are close to 50/50 run/pass. If you commit to stopping Turner/Snelling then you suddenly have Gonzalez/White/Douglas getting loose down field. Do the Browns have what it takes to defensively shift gears and stop a potentially deadly Atlanta O?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You stop the run and force them to be one dimensional.

Good, in theory, if you can do that without sacrificing pass coverage. Can you afford to bracket Gonzalez and leave yourself with five or six in the box?

I'm asking because I want to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Browns defense. If Ryan is having an on day, it can be stressful for a defense. Ask Arizona...

For some reason, Ryan did not check into the game until the 4th quarter. Remember, this is the Falcons who ran off a 19-play drive against the saints.

He had a terrible game..lol If Roddy hadn`t of punched that ball out we would be looking at 2-2.I really think that the Falcons and the Saints were emotionally and physically drained from the OT game in NO and it showed with their perfomances on the field and scoreboard..lol

Looked to me that Ryan didn't handle pressure very well and threw some ill-advised passes in panic. I seriously think that Joe Haden is primed for some picks here. The kid has been closing on the ball so well, and has been thinking tackle first while deflecting the pass coming into his man, but soon he will gain enough confidence to step in front and pick one of these babies off. The Browns have been stopping the run well, the only real weakness being Eric Wright. I hope that the masking Wright near the end of the game is good things still to come and to start with Sunday. Lerner should pay Wards fine and tell him to go rack up a few more by taking anyone's head off that comes over the middle.

I'm not worried defensively, as we've done real well there. I'm worried about our lack of receivers after Hillis pounds the shit out of the Falcons through the ground game. Stuckey & Cribbs should be our #1 & #2 ... not prototypical, but they're our best, after feeding the TE's and using Vickers, Hillis and Harrison out of the backfield.

Just keep playing physical ... and replace Wright.

Looked to me that Ryan didn't handle pressure very well and threw some ill-advised passes in panic. I seriously think that Joe Haden is primed for some picks here. The kid has been closing on the ball so well, and has been thinking tackle first while deflecting the pass coming into his man, but soon he will gain enough confidence to step in front and pick one of these babies off. The Browns have been stopping the run well, the only real weakness being Eric Wright. I hope that the masking Wright near the end of the game is good things still to come and to start with Sunday. Lerner should pay Wards fine and tell him to go rack up a few more by taking anyone's head off that comes over the middle.

I'm not worried defensively, as we've done real well there. I'm worried about our lack of receivers after Hillis pounds the shit out of the Falcons through the ground game. Stuckey & Cribbs should be our #1 & #2 ... not prototypical, but they're our best, after feeding the TE's and using Vickers, Hillis and Harrison out of the backfield.

Just keep playing physical ... and replace Wright.

Do the Browns run screen passes much?We have been very suspect to the screens to TE`s and RB`s and i hope Smith and Van Gorder are working on that:)

Do the Browns run screen passes much?We have been very suspect to the screens to TE`s and RB`s and i hope Smith and Van Gorder are working on that:)

the Browns have run very few screens. Mostly swing passes and tosses to the TEs. The Browns WRs have been damn invisible the last couple of games.

Expect a steady diet of Hillis, and assuming Jake is healthy enough to start, a fair amount of play action.

On defense the Browns big weakness has been an inability to generate a pass rush without blitzing, which (too frequently) has left the corners in single coverage, where they've been torched. Keep an eye out for TJ Ward, I'm sure the Falcon's coaching staff took note of the hit he put on Shipley in the Bengals game. He's the hometown favorite to get defensive rookie of the year.

falcons offense is very old school

run the ball, throw to the tight end

lots of 4 man rushes. they like to play up on the line of scrimmage on defense

their secondary is very suspect but their front 7 is very talented. i almost threw up complimenting the falcons just now

as far as the offense goes. you cant stop gonzalez. only contain him. stuff the run first. they like to run straight up the middle behind one of the best guards in the league in harvey dahl. then once your defense is nice and tired they dump it off to gonzo

roddy white will get his numbers as well but the offense doesnt revolve around the passing game

stuff the dives and quadruple cover gonzo. thats how you stop the falcons

Gonzalez killed us when he was a Chief, I don't know if he has slowed down, but seeing what big receivers did to us the last two weeks (Boldin, TO) he concerns me the most. I think we can cover roddy, et al. Are corners are quick and aggressive they just get knocked off their coverage by big receivers and our safeties are not great in coverage although T.J. Ward looks like he is going to be great at everything. If we didn't need Mike Adams at corner I would start him at safety in replacement of Elam who is a smart player but limited athleticly.

Zombo

The Falcons are a run-first offense that easily transitions to the passing game when opposing defenses stack the box. Look at the Falcons stats and you see they are close to 50/50 run/pass. If you commit to stopping Turner/Snelling then you suddenly have Gonzalez/White/Douglas getting loose down field. Do the Browns have what it takes to defensively shift gears and stop a potentially deadly Atlanta O?

The Falcons offense is no better truly than most of the offenses the Browns have played thus far. They have faced veteran QBs who are considered the equal or better than Matt Ryan in Cassel, Flacco and Palmer. They have faced RBs like Ray Rice and Cedric Benson who are considered the equivalent of the Falcons RBs. They have faced receivers better than any the Falcons have. The Browns defense got burned big time by Anquon Boldin, and T.O. had a big day against them. Do the Falcons have a WR the equivalent of those two? No.

Could the Falcons burn them? Sure. At some point any NFL team can burn any other NFL team. Is it likely the Falcons will totally scorch the Browns defense? No way.

This game will be like every other Browns game this year: close to the vest, low scoring, and close at the end. Which team can pull things off and win may be totally up to serendipity and who executes best. If not for a couple of pass interceptions for TD the Browns could be 3-1. But, they did make those mistakes, and in the end it will probably be the mistakes and turnovers that decide this game.

We have a physical team that will be playing a dome team outside in October. We should be favored by 3 points in this one. I have lived in Cleveland my whole life and I know what it's like to land at Hopkins under a cold grey sky. The Falcons are not going to want to play and we're gonna beat em up enough to squeak out a 6 to 10 point win this week,

Like I have always said. You cannot game plan against getting the sh*t kicked outta ya.

We have a physical team that will be playing a dome team outside in October. We should be favored by 3 points in this one. I have lived in Cleveland my whole life and I know what it's like to land at Hopkins under a cold grey sky. The Falcons are not going to want to play and we're gonna beat em up enough to squeak out a 6 to 10 point win this week,

Like I have always said. You cannot game plan against getting the sh*t kicked outta ya.

I wouldn't count on this being the case. I do think this is the strongest run team we've faced yet. Should be a smash mouth game on both sides.

I wouldn't count on this being the case. I do think this is the strongest run team we've faced yet. Should be a smash mouth game on both sides.

The Ratbirds & Ray Rice, McGahee are a strong running team, we shut them down, but couldn't stop the pass.

I don't have any hate towards the Falcons (I did when Glanville was there). We all know the Browns aren't an elite team, but we need to build on last week's win at home...protect our home field.

I see a Browns 27-24 win :blink:

I disagree about your opinion about the Falcons not being physical.I would consider us one of the most physical teams in the NFC.Case in point we took the Steelers to OT on opening day in Pittsburg in what was a very physical Football game.And we beat the Jets in New York in December last year,the last game they lost until the AFCCG.Not saying the Browns aren`t a physical team,just that we are also.

On paper the Falcons seem to be the better overall team, but the Browns really are not what their record indicates. The best way to stop the Falcons offense is to not give them the ball. If our offense can slowly but steadily move the ball and keep the Falcons offense out of the field for as long as possible then we should be able to win this game. The one with the more TOP will win this game. no surprises there right ?

I disagree about your opinion about the Falcons not being physical.I would consider us one of the most physical teams in the NFC.Case in point we took the Steelers to OT on opening day in Pittsburg in what was a very physical Football game.And we beat the Jets in New York in December last year,the last game they lost until the AFCCG.Not saying the Browns aren`t a physical team,just that we are also.

It's been said on numerous media outlets that the falcons are extremely physical. We have a young, fast, hard hitting defense that has the ability to create turnovers. Our OC likes to wear out O-lines by sending Turner up the middle over and over until you can prove that you can stop the run. Even if you stop the run, our OC will continue using Turner to wear out your D.

Well, you F88dup and didn't beat the Steelers when you had the chance. That right there is enough for us to despise you!!

You guys are real confident huh? lol

We aren't the Bengals guys.

When the Falcons fans first appeared on the board a few days ago they were very respectful, and then they started with telling us how we don't stand a chance against every single player on their roster. I'm sorry but what the hell do you expect, for us to agree with everything you say and have no faith in our Cleveland Browns? We gotta little word called Believeland and it aint goin no where just because of a couple of dirty birds trying to talk their team up.

Your fans have posted at least 3 or 4 topics on this board boasting on how we won't stop you. You seem very confident yourself.

We aren't the same old Browns guys. ;)

You are what your record says you are.

At the end of the year when ATL is at double digit wins, nobody will go back and say "Oh, you can't give them the #2, 3, or 4 seed in the NFC. They only beat such and such by 3 pts."

They will just give us the seed we deserve.

For the same note, you can't give "moral wins" to the Browns because your losses were by 7 pts or less. We will come in to Cleveland, run the ball, defend the run and come out with a 7point victory.

Archived