THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL's Biggest Rivalries

The Gipper

I have perused numerous websites concerning the NFL's greatest rivalries and have come up with a number worth considering. The following are the many "big" ones I have seen several commentators and polls list.

So, what you do is simply vote for what you consider to be the Five (5) Greatest Rivalries in the NFL from this list;

Falcons vs. Saints

Titans vs. Ravens

49ers vs. Cowboys

49ers vs. Giants

Bills vs. Dolphins

Raiders vs. Steelers

Cowboys vs. 49ers

Rams vs. Seahawks

Browns vs. Bengals

Patriots vs. Dolphins

Eagles vs. Cowboys

Steelers vs. Ravens

Patriots vs. Colts

Chargers vs. Broncos

Cowboys vs. Redskins

Bears vs. Packers

Chiefs vs. Raiders

Giants vs. Eagles

Browns vs. Steelers

Broncos vs. Raiders

Packers vs. Vikings

49ers vs. Rams

Jets vs. Dolphins

Jets vs. Patriots

Give your vote and we will tally them up at some point toward the end of the week.

I have perused numerous websites concerning the NFL's greatest rivalries and have come up with a number worth considering. The following are the many "big" ones I have seen several commentators and polls list.

So, what you do is simply vote for what you consider to be the Five (5) Greatest Rivalries in the NFL from this list;

Falcons vs. Saints

Yes, this is one we don't appreciate in this part of the country.

Titans vs. Ravens

No- it is a COMMUNIST RELOCATION/ABANDON YOUR ROOTS for greener pastures bowl

49ers vs. Cowboys

49ers vs. Giants

Bills vs. Dolphins

Raiders vs. Steelers

Cowboys vs. 49ers

Rams vs. Seahawks

Browns vs. Bengals

YES, but nationally would probably be dismissed.

Patriots vs. Dolphins

Eagles vs. Cowboys

Steelers vs. Ravens

Patriots vs. Colts

Chargers vs. Broncos

Cowboys vs. Redskins

Bears vs. Packers

ABSOLUTELY the longest running series in the NFL

Chiefs vs. Raiders

YES, but has lost it's luster lately. It was a great game back in the 70s

Giants vs. Eagles

I gave this one big considersation, but can only vote for 5

Browns vs. Steelers

YES oldest AFC series, but sadly has been one sided...but we haven't lost to them in months!!!!!!

Broncos vs. Raiders

Packers vs. Vikings

49ers vs. Rams

Jets vs. Dolphins

Jets vs. Patriots

Im surprised you don't have Raiders vs Chargers on here, or Lions vs Bears

Give your vote and we will tally them up at some point toward the end of the week.

Titans vs. Ravens

I take it you wouldn't think highly of the Rams/Cardinals "rivalry" either. Fair to say?

Bingo....like I've said for years, they should have a Carpetbagger division...St Louis, Baltimore, Indy, Arizona, & Tennessee. Ratbirds belong in the AFC East anyhow.

The AFC East rivalries always intrigued me because of the history of coaches and players changing teams within the division, the high scoring-not-over-til-the-final-gun games and (as of late) the verbal diarrhea that seems to eminate from each team before the game. I wouldn't say these are any more "physical" than any other rivalries but there is a certain "humor" in the series when one team tricks another with their own play. For instance, this past Monday night, the Pats ran the "Marino Fake Spike" play against the Dolphins". It's that little bit of tongue-in-cheek one-upsmanship that's always interesting.

Falcons vs. Saints

Titans vs. Ravens

49ers vs. Cowboys

49ers vs. Giants

Bills vs. Dolphins

Raiders vs. Steelers

Cowboys vs. 49ers

Rams vs. Seahawks

Browns vs. Bengals

Patriots vs. Dolphins

Eagles vs. Cowboys

Steelers vs. Ravens

Patriots vs. Colts

Chargers vs. Broncos

Cowboys vs. Redskins

Bears vs. Packers

Chiefs vs. Raiders

Giants vs. Eagles

Browns vs. Steelers

Broncos vs. Raiders

Packers vs. Vikings

49ers vs. Rams

Jets vs. Dolphins

Jets vs. Patriots

Mine are highlighted in red. Even though some are in down times now, I believe these are top 5 historically although Pats & Dolphins are right there too.

Mike

My favorites are:

1. Browns v. Steelers

2. Cowboys v Redskins

3. Chiefs v Raiders

4. Packers v Bears

5. Patriots v Jets

i had the same list except for #5- i had Giants v Eagles.

If i had to rank them, Packers v Bears would be #1 and it would be difficult to place the other 4 in a particular order. In the 60's the Browns v Steelers was a laugher- i seem to remember that the Cardinals was the big game.

Stains gotta get a couple more wins against the Steelers before anyone talks rivalry. Nobody in Pittsburgh talks Browns/Steelers rivalries except for the excitable sports talk guys and mayors.

I don't see any rebirth of a rivalry for the next 5 years at least.

Regards...

... an'at

Titans vs. Ravens

I take it you wouldn't think highly of the Rams/Cardinals "rivalry" either. Fair to say?

I thought the same when the Titans and Rams met in the SB! I wanted to puke!

Stains gotta get a couple more wins against the Steelers before anyone talks rivalry. Nobody in Pittsburgh talks Browns/Steelers rivalries except for the excitable sports talk guys and mayors.

Regards...

... an'at

And Michigan fans said and felt the same way until Coach Tressel came to Columbus.

Mangini vs. the steelers... 2 - 1

Pittsburgh QB's are a Joke

And Michigan fans said and felt the same way until Coach Tressel came to Columbus.

Mangini vs. the steelers... 2 - 1

Pittsburgh QB's are a Joke

So you're saying the Steelers have a rivalry with the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets?

As for your QB's drivel, we just went 3-1 with our backup-backup-backup QB's and the greatest QB in the NFL returns to the Black n' Gold the following week and yinz are arguing who is the more appropriate starter for the stains - Seneca or crazy Jake.

Name any other team in the NFL who would have gone 3-1 with their 3rd and 4th string QB's? Go ahead, I dare ya. Unfortunately for your misguided, wishful thought, the Steelers clearly have the best QB squad in the league.

Clearly.

Thanks for playing though.

Regards...

... an'at

Steelerschick,

I would agree with you on that. Lately it has been one sided.. kind of like the mid 80s when you guys had mark malone as a qb. that doesn't take the hatred we have for each other, and that has to amount for something.. fu@k pit

The hatred is still there, always has been.

Unfortunately it's north-west of the Golden Triangle.

When it becomes two-sided, the rivalry's back on.

Until then, enjoy the grace of my presence here. I'm pulling my punches.

Regards...

... an'at

Regards...

The question was a poll for you to vote for the best rivalries in the NFL. Why is it that such a simple task is seemingly so impossible for so many Steeler fans to perform? If you don't want to count the Browns/Steelers rivalry then don't vote for it, but then tell us which 5 you would vote for.

... an'at

OK, so here is my own vote:

Packers vs. Bears

Browns vs. Steelers

Giants vs. Eagles

Chiefs vs. Raiders

Packers vs. Vikings

These are great rivals no matter how good, bad or indifferent the teams are.

I had always considered the Cowboys/Redskins a TV manufactured rivalry so I didn't vote for that.

A couple of lost rivalries in my opinion are the Browns/Lions. Two cities close to each other that were of similar ilk and for a 10 year period went tooth and nail against each other for the championship.

Also Rams vs. 49ers. When Rams moved from LA that rivalry was lost.

Some "Should be" rivalries that would be ever so natural but are not due to teams being placed in opposing conferences:

Giants/Jets. Raiders/49ers. Cowboys/Texans. Miami vs. Tampa vs. Jacksonville. Rams/Chiefs. Steelers/Eagles. Redskins/Ravens.

The good thing about the Browns is that their main natural rivals, Cincy and Pitt. are in their same division. You can even include the somewhat natural rivalry between the Browns and Ravens given the bastardized method by which that franchise originated. The only potential natural rival not in their division, as stated, is the Lions.

Name any other team in the NFL who would have gone 3-1 with their 3rd and 4th string QB's? Go ahead, I dare ya. Unfortunately for your misguided, wishful thought, the Steelers clearly have the best QB squad in the league.

Well, going back a few years....1988, Browns got a Wild Card @ 10-6 using 3 QBs, as Kosar was lost for the season in the opener vs. KC. Mike Pagel was the starter for most of the remaining season, until he got hurt....we also went to Gary Danielson, and he broke his leg. The Browns had to go to Don Strock when Pagel went down.

So, it's not unprecedented...4 QBs, and a playoff birth.

It has been lopsided lately, but when you consider the fact that you lead the all time series by a measly 2 or so games, I'd say it's a damn good rivalry..

1. Packers vs Bears

2. Browns vs Steelers

3. Giants vs Eagles

4. Jets vs Patriots

5.Cheifs vs Raiders

One in two are a toss up because you can just tell how much the browns and steelers truly hate one another as to where the bears and packers i think is more of a tradition and theres a lil more respect amognst one another

Final Votes for The NFL's Greatest Rivalry:

Browns/Steelers 10 votes

Bears/Packers 8 votes

Cowboys/Redskins 8 votes

Chiefs/Raiders 7 votes

Jets/Patriots 4 votes

Giants/Eagles 4 votes

This Board being what it is I would have assumed that the # rivalry to win this vote is the one that did. Fair to say?

Good post! There is no Steelers/Browns rivalry unless you are referring to the old Browns, now Ravens, that is a good rivalry!

The Steelers/Browns rivalry may be the oldest but it really doesn't even qualify as a rivalry. You had one team utterly dominate for decades and then a turn around to complete domination by the other team for decades. Just because the all time reocrd is close really doesn't mean anything in this case. In the grand scheme of things, there have been very few years of competition between the two teams for playoffs or titles.

I have one question for you then, if there is no rivalry etc. why are you here?

Good post! There is no Steelers/Browns rivalry unless you are referring to the old Browns, now Ravens, that is a good rivalry!

The Steelers/Browns rivalry may be the oldest but it really doesn't even qualify as a rivalry. You had one team utterly dominate for decades and then a turn around to complete domination by the other team for decades. Just because the all time reocrd is close really doesn't mean anything in this case. In the grand scheme of things, there have been very few years of competition between the two teams for playoffs or titles.

If it's not a rivalry as you say, then you wouldn't be all over here.

Your presence decries your own assertion.

How often are you on the Ravens board banging away at those fools?

In my mind, it is the fan base intensity about the rivalry, not strictly the win/loss record etc. that determines a rivalry.

There is no such thing as "Old Browns, now Ravens". No Browns/Ravens fan, no city official, no NFL official, no Browns/Ravens team official, no cat, no dog, no mouse recognizes any such thing.

If, indeed, the Steelers and Ravens have some sort of rivalry, that rivalry has to stand on its own merit. There are NO vestiges of the Browns/Steelers rivalry associated with that one.

If the Steeler/Raven rivalry cannot stand on its own merit, then it is not a rivalry even worth discussing.

By the way, on the poll that I did, the Steeler/Raven rivalry got all of one vote....same as the Buccaneers and Panthers.

(I can't recall, did you vote?)

There is no such thing as "Old Browns, now Ravens". No Browns/Ravens fan, no city official, no NFL official, no Browns/Ravens team official, no cat, no dog, no mouse recognizes any such thing.

If, indeed, the Steelers and Ravens have some sort of rivalry, that rivalry has to stand on its own merit. There are NO vestiges of the Browns/Steelers rivalry associated with that one.

If the Steeler/Raven rivalry cannot stand on its own merit, then it is not a rivalry even worth discussing.

By the way, on the poll that I did, the Steeler/Raven rivalry got all of one vote....same as the Buccaneers and Panthers.

(I can't recall, did you vote?)

in the burgh most Steeler fans would say the ravens are our biggest rival, citing that there has to be some back and forth for it to be considered a rivalry.

me? i think it's Steelers/browns. i don't know if there are two teams/cities/populations that hold more disdain for each other.

You guys just don't get it.......even though it's been said over and over again.

You guys are just fun to watch. You're like the fat lady wearing the skimpy top at Walmart......you can't help but look.....and then......when she sees you looking and gets in your face about how smokin hot she is.....you just can't help but grab some pop-corn, watch the show, and laugh your ass off!

By the way, I notice that you didn't even bother to vote in the poll. And there were like 3 of you Steeler trolls that didn't (but a couple that did..one that did put both Steelers/Browns and Steelers/Ravens in top 5).

Why is it that the rest of you guys are incapable of such a simple task as stating what you think are the best 5 rivalries in the NFL? Is such a thing truly that mentally taxing for you?

Why is it that yinz are always so deficient at carrying on an interesting and meaningful discussion of this sort?

in the burgh most Steeler fans would say the ravens are our biggest rival, citing that there has to be some back and forth for it to be considered a rivalry.

me? i think it's Steelers/browns. i don't know if there are two teams/cities/populations that hold more disdain for each other.

Fair deal. Too many times the media touts these "Flavor of the month" rivalries based simply on the fact that during a particular time frame two particular teams are good and are vying for supremacy. E.g.: the Pats/Colts rivalry.

Well, that is only good because those two teams have been fighting for AFC Supremacy for the past decade and they both have what may be the two best QBs in the game. But Colts/Pats is NOT a natural, long standing rivalry.

On the other hand the Ravens/Steelers SHOULD be a true rivalry....they are in the same division, the cities are relatively close (239 miles....which is closer than Cleveland is to Cinci), they are both "older rust belt" cities, and, yes, they both play hard nosed football.

In reality, another city that should be in this rivalry group is Buffalo. It is only 190 miles from Cleveland and 212 miles from Pittsburg, much closer than the other AFC East teams. Plus it has much more in common with Cleveland and Pittsburgh than it does with Boston or Miami. Fair to say?

I'll bet if you asked the same question in any city on your list, that team would finish on top. That shouldn't surprise you. The one vote for Steelers/Ravens was probably the only Steeler fan to vote......probably a new guy who hasn't had the opportunity to read your plethora of self serving, drivel, posts ;)

At least my posts ascend to the level of self serving drivel. Yours don't even get there.

Archived