THE BROWNS BOARD

Wall Street 2 review

Wall Street Money Never Sleeps

Fox

PG 13 127 min

So I wonder; was anybody out there desperate for a sequel to Oliver Stone’s original WALL STREET?

That’s what I thought. Me neither. My blurred recollection of the 1987 hit was a bland “I think it was OK” and I seem to recall it was about evil greedy powerbrokers in the notorious NY financial district.

Well now it’s ten years later, film wise, and apparently Mr. Stone has bills to pay.

Alas we see the destruction that lies in the wake of Gordon Gekko’s dastardly crimes.

Not only does a computer-generated insurance peddling lizard now overshadow him, but also his only daughter Winnie (Carey Mulligan) has grown up hating his guts. She’s a crusader with a left wing website who’s engaged to idealistic young Jake (Shia La Beouf) an up and coming financial analyst.

Well with the old man out of prison it looks like he’s turned his life around and seen the light. At least that’s how it seems to Jake, as he becomes Mr. Gekko’s erstwhile protégé.

Jake’s two goals are to avenge the suicide of his previous mentor and to acquire funding for a green energy company. Remember greed’s cool if it’s green.

Anyway it’s something of a wild ride as Jake tries to untangle the webs of deceit, grab the cash for the greenies and keep Winnie in the dark over his newfound partnership with dear old dad, not to mention a battle with a real A hole named Burton James (well played by Josh Brolin).

At any rate, even with the occasional Stone screen oddities, this chapter never really rises above a fairly entertaining but forgettable film.

A little heavy on the politics but not too bad considering it’s Stone, and we’re glad to see Michael Douglas get some work in light of his battle with cancer.

B-

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived