THE BROWNS BOARD

Hall of Fame Dynamic Duos/Trios Offense

The Gipper

Here are some Hall of Fame Dynamic Duos/Trios at certain positions (offense). Can we say these are the best of all time?

If you think there is a tandem that is better, pipe in:

Quarterbacks:

1. Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield. These were a true tandem that took turns playing. Rams

2. Joe Montana and Steve Young. Young backed up Montana several years. 49ers

Running Backs:

1. Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung. These were also a true tandem that took turns carrying the ball. Packers

2. Hugh McElhenny and Joe Perry. Perhaps the first "Thunder and Lightning" tandem. 49ers

3. Charley Trippi and Ollie Matson. ditto, more or less Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside. Cardinals

4. Jim Brown and Leroy Kelley. Kelley was JB's understudy for a couple of years til he got his chance. Browns

Wide Receivers:

1. Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Together for the Steelers title run. Steelers

2. Tom Fears and Crazy Legs Hirsch. # 1 QB tandem was throwing to these 2. Rams.

3. Charley Taylor and Bobby Mitchell. Mitchell taught Taylor the ropes. Redskins.

4. Bob Hayes and Lance Alworth. Only two years together. Cowboys.

Wide Receiver/Tight End Tandem:

1. Kellen Winslow and Charley Joiner. Triggered by HOFer Fouts. Chargers

2. Dave Casper and Fred Biletnikoff. (Triggered by Stabler). Raiders

3. John Mackey and Raymond Berry. Triggered by HOFer Unitas. Colts

Offensive Line:

1. Jim Otto/Art Shell/Gene Upshaw. Raiders

2. Frank Gatski/Lou Groza/Mike McCormack. Browns

3. Jim Ringo and Forrest Gregg. Packers

4. Bruce Mathews and Mike Munchak. Oilers

5. Jim Langer and Larry Little. Dolphins

Let me know if you think I missed any duos....or if you think there is a duo that should surpass these. In each of the above every member of the duo/trio is in the HOF.

The John Mackey/Ray Berry duo, with John Unitas throwing it to them triggered a thought in my mind: You know how they have talked about the great "Triplets"....like when the Cowboys had Aikman/Irvin/Smith as a QB/WR/RB HOF group?

The Colts of the 50s/60s may perhaps be the only team to have a "Quartet": QB/RB/WR/TE. The had Unitas, Lenny Moore, Raymond Berry, and John Mackey. I will check to see if any other team can match that.....

About the best I can come up with is this:

For a short period in the 60s the Redskins had Sonny Jurgenson, Jackie Smith, Charley Taylor, and Bobby Mitchell who on occasion would line up as a halfback, but not regularly. In 1967 he had 61 carries.

The Steelers did have the QB-Bradshaw, the RB-Harris, and 2 WRs-Swann/Stallworth, but not the TE.

Of course what makes it hard is that the TE position is a more modern development, and only 7 people have been inducted into the HOF.

Other "Triplets" of offensive skill player HOFers:

Otto Graham, Dante Lavelli, Marion Motley...Browns

Bob Griese, Larry Csonka, Paul Warfield...Dolphins

Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow...Chargers

Van Brocklin/Waterfield/Hirsch/Fears...Rams. Of course that is 4 but it included 2 QBs.

Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung.

No, it seems like the Colts have the only true "Quartet" of HOFers at the different offensive skill positions.

you cannot make Jim Brown and LeRoy Kelly as a tandem.........Kelly never started as running mate to Jim Brown

Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick comes to mind

Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner were the best ever combo set up for the Browns

It would have been Mitchell and Brown but Mitchell got traded.............the latter two combos were the Browns best ever RB combos

you cannot make Jim Brown and LeRoy Kelly as a tandem.........Kelly never started as running mate to Jim Brown

While true, I was using the term "tandem" broadly. LK was JB's understudy just as say Steve Young was Joe Montana's. I was counting any "unit" that had 2 HOFers or more on at the same time. There may have been a few times that both JB and LK were in the same backfied, but, yes, it would have been infrequent..but it still counts, broadly..

Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick comes to mind

Except that Kiick in not in the HOF. I limited my list to only Hall of Famers. (but that is not to disparage the quality of the tandem you suggest)

Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner were the best ever combo set up for the Browns

Again, neither is HOF...though your statment may certainly be correct. Both got 1000 the same year.

It would have been Mitchell and Brown but Mitchell got traded.............the latter two combos were the Browns best ever RB combos

Archived