THE BROWNS BOARD

Hall of Fame Dynamic Duos/Trios Defense

The Gipper

Here are the Dynamic Duos or Trios that played defense:

Defensive Line:

1. Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen. Half of the Fearsome Foursome. Rams

2. Alan Page and Carl Eller. Half of the Purple People Eaters. Vikings

3. Bob Lilly and Randy White. Half of the Doomsday Defense. Browns

4. Willie Davis and Henry Jordan. Packers (both traded there by the Browns FYI.)

5. Len Ford and Bill Willis. Seven titles. Browns

6. Art Donovan and Gino Marchetti.

Linebackers:

1. Lawrence Taylor and Harry Carson. Giants. Half of the Big Blue Meanies

2. Jack Lambert and Jack Ham. Steelers. Rear guard of the Steel Curtain

3. Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell. Chiefs.

4. Bill George and George Connor. 50s version of Monsters of the Midway. Bears

Defensive Backs:

1. Dick "Night Train" Lane/Yale Larry/Dick LeBeau. Lions

2. Jack Christensen/Night Train Lane/Yale Larry. Lions. LeBeau replaced Cristensen without missing a beat.

3. Herb Adderly and Willie Wood. Packers Championship corner/safety combo

4. Larry Wilson and Roger Wehrli. Played 2 years at end of Wilson's career. Cardinals

5. Lem Barney and Dick LeBeau. LeBeau mentored Barney . Of 21 DB HOFers, 6 played for Lions.

6. Mel Renfro and Herb Adderly. Adderly mentored Renfro for two years. Cowboys.

Again, name any other HOF duos you think I missed.

Or, if you think there is a combo that should supersede these, feel free to argue your case.

Here are the Dynamic Duos or Trios that played defense:

Defensive Line:

1. Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen. Half of the Fearsome Foursome. Rams

2. Alan Page and Carl Eller. Half of the Purple People Eaters. Vikings

3. Bob Lilly and Randy White. Half of the Doomsday Defense. Browns

4. Willie Davis and Henry Jordan. Packers (both traded there by the Browns FYI.)

5. Len Ford and Bill Willis. Seven titles. Browns

6. Art Donovan and Gino Marchetti.

Linebackers:

1. Lawrence Taylor and Harry Carson. Giants. Half of the Big Blue Meanies

2. Jack Lambert and Jack Ham. Steelers. Rear guard of the Steel Curtain

3. Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell. Chiefs.

4. Bill George and George Connor. 50s version of Monsters of the Midway. Bears

Defensive Backs:

1. Dick "Night Train" Lane/Yale Larry/Dick LeBeau. Lions

2. Jack Christensen/Night Train Lane/Yale Larry. Lions. LeBeau replaced Cristensen without missing a beat.

3. Herb Adderly and Willie Wood. Packers Championship corner/safety combo

4. Larry Wilson and Roger Wehrli. Played 2 years at end of Wilson's career. Cardinals

5. Lem Barney and Dick LeBeau. LeBeau mentored Barney . Of 21 DB HOFers, 6 played for Lions.

6. Mel Renfro and Herb Adderly. Adderly mentored Renfro for two years. Cowboys.

Again, name any other HOF duos you think I missed.

Or, if you think there is a combo that should supersede these, feel free to argue your case.

Well you did a great job on submitting entries.

eliminating the DL of the Steel Curtain is indeed an oversight.especially Mean Joe Green and Hollywood Bags..... Randy White and Too Tall Jones or is it Bob Liilly........those are two that quickly come to mind......btw the best backer ever in the Steel Curtain was Jack Lambert.........but the rules say Hofer........so we need to review and go forward.........

and refine..........great start

Frank Minnifield was the best corner that i've ever seen. He covered like glue, never missed a tackle, and was a student (and teacher) of the game. His counterpart was a guy named Dixon, and was a pretty good player too. They played on three Pro-Bowl games together.

Was this a set-up to make me look like a homer?

Well you did a great job on submitting entries.

eliminating the DL of the Steel Curtain is indeed an oversight.especially Mean Joe Green and Hollywood Bags.

I don't think I overlooked them. Upon double checking, Joe Greene is the only member of the Steelers DL to be in the HOF. This list did require 2 from each unit.

.... Randy White and Too Tall Jones or is it Bob Liilly........those are two that quickly come to mind

I did have the White/Lilly tandem. Too Tall Jones in not in the HOF

......btw the best backer ever in the Steel Curtain was Jack Lambert.........but the rules say Hofer........so we need to review and go forward.........

and refine..........great start

If you know of any other unit tandem HOFers, please let me know. There may be several when you go back to the 20s/30s/40s. The reason I didn't name them is because sometimes in those days the positions those players played could be a bit ambiguous. You could have some guys listed as playing QB/HB/End/Flanker...and they played defense as well, so I kind of limited this to post WWII....though, admittedly, that might not be fair.

Frank Minnifield was the best corner that i've ever seen. He covered like glue, never missed a tackle, and was a student (and teacher) of the game. His counterpart was a guy named Dixon, and was a pretty good player too. They played on three Pro-Bowl games together.

Was this a set-up to make me look like a homer?

That duo wouldn't make the list because neither was in the HOF. Minnifield is on the list this year of nominees.

Archived