THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns On The Right Track

Earl34

From his blog on NFL.com

NFL Network

Mangini has Browns on right track

Posted: October 12th, 2010 | Charles Davis | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Jake Delhomme, Rob Ryan, Seneca Wallace, Eric Mangini, Mike Holmgren, Peyton Hillis, Charles Davis

I know Browns fans might not want to hear this, because they’re probably not enjoying all the losing, but I really think this team is on the right track.

Eric Mangini and his staff coach this team very well. Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is doing a nice job working with what he has. I know the defense plays well, and plays hard, under coordinator Rob Ryan.

I was on hand to call the Browns against the Falcons in Week 5. The Falcons did go up and down the field, but the Browns made it difficult on them. The Falcons had some very long drives, including back to back 12- and 14-play drives, but couldn’t get in the end zone. The Falcons got six points out of those drives, and then had a field goal blocked on the ensuing drive. I love the way the Browns fight on defense.

Josh Cribbs, of course, is a playmaker. And Peyton Hillis has become a HUGE fan favorite, because his style of play embodies what the city of Cleveland is all about — that gritty, tough, never-give-up attitude. Cleveland loves the way Hillis plays. I feel like Hillis running over people is more fun for Browns fans to watch than scoring touchdowns. It’s how Cleveland likes it, and Hillis fits that persona perfectly.

The quarterback position is the one that has to get the most attention after the season. Jake Delhomme is the near the end of his career and is hurt again. Is Colt McCoy the answer? Do the Browns have to go get someone else?

Seneca Wallace played very well in the first half against the Falcons before getting hurt. If he’s healthy, Wallace gives the Browns the best chance to win this season. He’s mobile, he’s pretty accurate with the ball and the offense seems to flow better with him in the game.

Offensively, the Browns just can’t close the deal. They’re a ground-and-pound team, but they can’t finish teams off through the air. There isn’t much production on the outside, and tight end Ben Watson and Hillis are the top two receivers. The Browns haven’t been able to stretch the coverages of opposing defenses.

I get that Mangini has Mike Holmgren looming overhead, and it very well might be true he is a lame duck coach, but he and his staff are coaching very well. I’m bullish on the Browns eventually getting back to being a good football program under Holmgren and Mangini.

– Charles Davis

From his blog on NFL.com

NFL Network

Mangini has Browns on right track

Posted: October 12th, 2010 | Charles Davis | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Jake Delhomme, Rob Ryan, Seneca Wallace, Eric Mangini, Mike Holmgren, Peyton Hillis, Charles Davis

I know Browns fans might not want to hear this, because they’re probably not enjoying all the losing, but I really think this team is on the right track.

Eric Mangini and his staff coach this team very well. Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is doing a nice job working with what he has. I know the defense plays well, and plays hard, under coordinator Rob Ryan.

I was on hand to call the Browns against the Falcons in Week 5. The Falcons did go up and down the field, but the Browns made it difficult on them. The Falcons had some very long drives, including back to back 12- and 14-play drives, but couldn’t get in the end zone. The Falcons got six points out of those drives, and then had a field goal blocked on the ensuing drive. I love the way the Browns fight on defense.

Josh Cribbs, of course, is a playmaker. And Peyton Hillis has become a HUGE fan favorite, because his style of play embodies what the city of Cleveland is all about — that gritty, tough, never-give-up attitude. Cleveland loves the way Hillis plays. I feel like Hillis running over people is more fun for Browns fans to watch than scoring touchdowns. It’s how Cleveland likes it, and Hillis fits that persona perfectly.

The quarterback position is the one that has to get the most attention after the season. Jake Delhomme is the near the end of his career and is hurt again. Is Colt McCoy the answer? Do the Browns have to go get someone else?

Seneca Wallace played very well in the first half against the Falcons before getting hurt. If he’s healthy, Wallace gives the Browns the best chance to win this season. He’s mobile, he’s pretty accurate with the ball and the offense seems to flow better with him in the game.

Offensively, the Browns just can’t close the deal. They’re a ground-and-pound team, but they can’t finish teams off through the air. There isn’t much production on the outside, and tight end Ben Watson and Hillis are the top two receivers. The Browns haven’t been able to stretch the coverages of opposing defenses.

I get that Mangini has Mike Holmgren looming overhead, and it very well might be true he is a lame duck coach, but he and his staff are coaching very well. I’m bullish on the Browns eventually getting back to being a good football program under Holmgren and Mangini.

– Charles Davis

Davis is an impressively smart analyst. I hope he's right about the Browns.

I honest to god think some people for some reason want the browns to suck forever...

I call bull on the whole coaching thing, mangini has made more erroneous decisions this season than most will in an entire career, and yup dabs is doing a real good job there...sometimes for almost the first half of a game...

Sometimes I hope holmgren will keep mangini and daboll just to prove how mediocre he is and because we arent going anywhere fast, anytime soon either way and watching an empty stadium on a big screen will be kinda funny since i dont get blacked out from browns games....:)

Gips, you are so damned negative.

There is nothing wrong with the friggin' playcalling. The team has been moving in the second halves of recent games. It comes down to execution....like Joe Thomas actually blocking John Abraham or Ben Watson actually holding on to the damned ball.

Wanna see an example of a coach who takes his team out of games? Brad Childress. His team wins DESPITE him.

I honest to god think some people for some reason want the browns to suck forever...

I call bull on the whole coaching thing, mangini has made more erroneous decisions this season than most will in an entire career, and yup dabs is doing a real good job there...sometimes for almost the first half of a game...

Sometimes I hope holmgren will keep mangini and daboll just to prove how mediocre he is and because we arent going anywhere fast, anytime soon either way and watching an empty stadium on a big screen will be kinda funny since i dont get blacked out from browns games....:)

The Jets bandwagon is currently accepting new members, maybe you should look into it.

Yup, it's all coaching Gips. I'll ask you again for your in-depth analysis of how say the Browns WRs stack up against the Bengals, or how many of our linebackers would be starting for the Ravens or Steelers. I'll give you a hint- it would be ZERO.

Nevermind Gips, this is one of the best articles about the Browns by an outsider I have seen in a while. It really sounds like Charles Davis paid attention and understood what he was seeing. More so than a lot of our local reporters. I will be a Charles Davis fan from now on. He is right on in my opinion. Sometimes I would rather see Hillis run through a guy than see Braylon catch a flukey cartwheel TD throw. And our biggest and most glaring problem is stretching the field with our WRs. I don't care how many times it fails, we need to start taking shots down field. It only has to work once to get a defense to respect it. And that's how you get 5 yards a carry on the ground and control the tempo.

Great analysis Charles!

Yup, it's all coaching Gips. I'll ask you again for your in-depth analysis of how say the Browns WRs stack up against the Bengals, or how many of our linebackers would be starting for the Ravens or Steelers. I'll give you a hint- it would be ZERO.

I will try to address all the rambling at me with one post...hehehehe!

Our WRs do not stack up to even buffalo let alone the bengals...

Ryan is doing a great job with what he has...none on our LBs would be starters on any winning team, yet ryan gets them to play hard..

I never said its all because of bad coaching but it plays more than its fair share, but ultimately heckert and holmgren have to decide mangini's and this teams fate...they will need to consider several factors like PSL's and ticket sale estimations for next year..Mangini is not a real popular guy with everyone you know...

I have grown accustomed to watching the jets when they play at 4:00 or on MNF, they are a fun to watch team and with fairly aggressive playcalling but i am not a bandwagon fan, the browns are the only nfl team i have ever followed and loved and it will always be that way regardless of who the owner or coach is...

I am sorry to sound so negative, its not as negative as i sometimes make it sound, mangini has done some good things as well and even though i rant n rave i want to like the guy more than i want to dislike him, i do however believe he is not the right guy but i dont get to make that call and am a team player, so i will live with the regimes decisions when it renders them and move on...

Like many on the board i am far from perfect but at least i am man enough to man up when i am wrong and i dont rub it in when im right...

Archived