THE BROWNS BOARD

Hillis says he's likely to play Sunday

professor_g

Here is a fun Hillis factoid:

We all love this guy (God knows I do).

I can remember my college days watching Hillis return punts for Upig (Arkansas).

Let that sink in: A fullback returning punts on a team that had Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and Matt Jones (as well as lesser known speedsters like Marcus Monk and Fred Talley.

Anyone else know of a FB that has returned punts in college? I'm not going to google it just to make it interesting for me.

Here is a fun Hillis factoid:

We all love this guy (God knows I do).

I can remember my college days watching Hillis return punts for Upig (Arkansas).

Let that sink in: A fullback returning punts on a team that had Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and Matt Jones (as well as lesser known speedsters like Marcus Monk and Fred Talley.

Anyone else know of a FB that has returned punts in college? I'm not going to google it just to make it interesting for me.

Interesting ... so I googled it, and you are correct, Hillis did return Punts, but take a look at what else came up on this arkansas bio of him:

<<< OUTLOOK: One of the most versatile offensive weapons on the roster, Arkansas suffered down the stretch in 2006 when Hillis wasn’t available due to a deep thigh bruise. A punishing blocker, a powerful runner and a natural pass catcher, he will most likely be utilized at fullback, H-back, tailback, tight end, wide receiver and punt returner at some point during the upcoming season. If that isn’t enough, he may return to special teams where he was dominant on the kickoff coverage team early in the 2006 season. Rated the No. 1 fullback in the nation by Phil Steele’s College Football, he was also recognized as the best blocking back in the Southeastern Conference by The Birmingham News. He will help clear the way for Arkansas’ stable of tailbacks and will get an opportunity to get his hands on the ball out of a variety of formations. He enters pre-season camp as the Razorbacks’ top fullback and a prime candidate to return punts. >>> Source

It appears he may have some history with thigh bruise?

Interesting ... so I googled it, and you are correct, Hillis did return Punts, but take a look at what else came up on this arkansas bio of him:

<<< OUTLOOK: One of the most versatile offensive weapons on the roster, Arkansas suffered down the stretch in 2006 when Hillis wasn’t available due to a deep thigh bruise. A punishing blocker, a powerful runner and a natural pass catcher, he will most likely be utilized at fullback, H-back, tailback, tight end, wide receiver and punt returner at some point during the upcoming season. If that isn’t enough, he may return to special teams where he was dominant on the kickoff coverage team early in the 2006 season. Rated the No. 1 fullback in the nation by Phil Steele’s College Football, he was also recognized as the best blocking back in the Southeastern Conference by The Birmingham News. He will help clear the way for Arkansas’ stable of tailbacks and will get an opportunity to get his hands on the ball out of a variety of formations. He enters pre-season camp as the Razorbacks’ top fullback and a prime candidate to return punts. >>> Source

What do you expect from a guy who is known for bouncing 250 lbs men off his thighs like they we bugs flying through the wind. They have mentioned in several articles that he has trouble with thigh bruises and that he needs to watch this one or he can get calcification in his thigh again like he did in Arkansas, but I think this is more of a pulled muscle than a bad thigh bruise.

I Had one in College ... WOW that was a MOTHER... but after 2 weeks I didnt even Notice it.

I don't know if bruising is something you can look at and call a 'history", but what the heck, maybe a little more dense foam padding in addition to the normal padding is in order....it's not like Hillis is a speed back where the additional padding might hinder his game to any significant degree.

Archived