THE BROWNS BOARD

This is Josh Cribbs Game

ATENEARS

The Steelers fear Josh Cribbs ... they have never found an answer to containing him. More than ever, and with Cribbs needing (and due) a break-out game in this young season, we will be relied upon.

Since joining the Browns in 2005, Cribbs has had many memorable moments against the Steelers including a highlight reel, tip-toe touchdown return of a kickoff in 2007 along with a subzero 2009 win, where Cribbs single-handedly was taking apart both the Steelers defense and special teams units.

Once again, both the Browns and Cribbs look to try and get the better of their longtime rival and Cribbs will hopefully get a chance to return kicks and spark an offense that looks to be led by rookie quarterback Colt McCoy for the first time.

j_cribbs_071111_IA.jpg

In 2010, teams have either been kicking short or away from Cribbs and he only has a mediocre return average of 20./2 yards per return and a punt return average of 6.2 yards. The Browns need to find someone to play the short kick and make teams pay by gaining good position with each wuss-out kick. I liked Lawson, but I believe we waived him after a DUI this past off-sesson, so James Davis, Harrison, or even Vickers or Hillis is going to have to plow it forward if the Steelers elect to kick short and away from Cribbs.

It is in the Steelers' best interest to keep the ball away from Cribbs too because he has some great numbers in his career when playing the Steelers. Josh Cribbs has three kick returns for touchdowns vs. the Steelers in his career. In 10 career games against the Steelers, Cribbs has returned a total of 37 kicks for 969 yards and three touchdowns for an average of 26.1 yards per return. He has also returned 13 punts for 156 yards for an average of 12 yards per punt return.

Tack on 17 rushing attempts for 144 yards and an average of 8.47 yards per carry and Cribbs' specialty versus the Steelers is obviously in the return game and running the ball out of the backfield. The Browns haven't used the Wilddawg formation much this season because of the success of Hillis and the run game, but look for Cribbs to spell Hillis and Colt McCoy on Sunday.

With McCoy taking first team reps, look for the Browns to sprinkle in a good amount of Wilddawg snaps for Cribbs to utilize his ability to make plays with the ball in his hands and to lessen the pressure on McCoy's shoulders since this will be his first NFL start.

This could be Cribbs legacy ... his pay dirt is in making the Steelers pay.

Josh-Cribbs-275x300.jpgjoshua-cribbs.jpg

Numbers taken from a similar article in The Bleacher report

The Steelers fear Josh Cribbs ... they have never found an answer to containing him.

i don't know if i'd go that far if i were you.

we fear his return skills. that's all. he's not a true WR. we don't fear ANY RB in the league (least of all a hybrid skat back) and the "wild cat/dog/horse/gopher" plays never get any team anywhere with the Steelers, so we don't fear him in any capacity there.

i think if the Steelers kick out of bounds the entire game you guys don't even get into field goal position.

we fear his return skills. that's all. he's not a true WR. we don't fear ANY RB in the league (least of all a hybrid skat back) and the "wild cat/dog/horse/gopher" plays never get any team anywhere with the Steelers, so we don't fear him in any capacity there.

i think if the Steelers kick out of bounds the entire game you guys don't even get into field goal position.

I'm preparing a special batch of crow for you to eat.

If Cribbs "isn't a true receiver", then tell your latest favorite team, the steelers, to not bother covering him on his routes.

and watch what happens. Go ahead, we dare your steelers to ignore him when he's on offense...

What position do you play?

We will play this game tough even if a rather aggravated looking cribbles plays hard or not...one of the things i do like about the gini is he plays rivals tough..

He realizes a win this sunday buys him immortality to dreamlanders and a second chance for the second time to even the most hardcore browns fans...

And a hard fought game is what i expect and nothing more and nothing less win or lose...

While the Steelers may not "fear" him, it is not true that the WildDawg offense never gets a team anywhere against the Steelers. In last year's game here against the Steelers Cribbs got 87 yards rushing in just 8 carries in the WildDawg offense.

That production by Cribbs is what led directly to the Browns victory. That victory kept the Steelers at home instead of going to the playoffs.

If "never getting any team anywhere" equates to "nowhere" well, I guess its true, it sent the Steelers nowhere but home.

Cribbs is a real threat in the return game. But as a WR he has not been that big a threat. But you are right that this game could be up to him. Maybe as your QB. Maybe as your RB since your team was dumb enough to trade away Harrison.

?

How exactly can Harrison help us in this situation ? When there are holes he is great, otherwise he is ......... ! I dont see Harrison overcoming the Steeler Run defense unless u guys will be generous enough to give us plenty of holes. if only the Steeler coaches were so high on JH we could have traded him for Mendenhall ;)

?

How exactly can Harrison help us in this situation ? When there are holes he is great, otherwise he is ......... ! I dont see Harrison overcoming the Steeler Run defense unless u guys will be generous enough to give us plenty of holes. if only the Steeler coaches were so high on JH we could have traded him for Mendenhall ;)

Sorry. I forgot that everything is STEELERS to you guys.

Like most teams RB, Harrison would probably not get anywhere against the STEELERS run defense. But I was talking about the best for your team overall, not against the STEELERS. The Bell trade is strange.

Atenears, it would be a great story if Josh Cribbs could dominate this week. I saw him for the first time in person this weekend. Is it just me or does he look like he's got an ankle injury? He's not cutting like he was in the past. He seems tentative.

I could be wrong.

Archived