THE BROWNS BOARD

Hillis Will Beat the Steelers

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...10/post_52.html

Browns running back Peyton Hillis is not about to let a little thing like searing pain his thigh keep him from facing the arch-rival Steelers and their No. 1-ranked run defense.

"I'll be very surprised if I'm not 100 percent," said Hillis, who's listed as questionable. "I feel great right now and with wrapping it up and keeping it warm, it should be fine."

Hillis, who aggravated his strained quad muscle last week against the Falcons, practiced for the first time all week on Friday and was limited, but wouldn't miss this game for the world.

"I've heard it a lot from the fans in the city how big it is, and I really want to go in there and get this win to give confidence and bring a victory back to the city," he said.

Besides, the Browns really need him, especially with rookie quarterback Colt McCoy starting the game and the Steelers ready to pounce.

"No matter who's taking the snaps or what team you're playing, running the ball effectively is always a high priority," said Hillis. "We have to be able to do that this week."

And they'll be doing it against the best rush defense in the NFL, one that's putting up some daunting statistics. The Steelers are surrendering a league-low 62.3 yards per game and no back has rushed for more than 42 yards against them this season. That was Atlanta's Michael Turner, who averaged 2.2 yards on his 19 attempts.

The Steelers held Tennessee's Chris Johnson to 34 yards on 16 carries, snapping his 12-game streak of rushing for more than 100 yards. What's more, the Steelers have allowed only one 100-yard rusher in the past 38 games.

"There's no doubt they're a good defense," said Hillis. "But we're not looking at (all the stats). They're human just like we are. They put their pants on one leg at a time and we've just got to approach it like that."

The last time Hillis faced a run defense like this -- in Baltimore -- he gashed them for 144 yards and put himself on the NFL map. "You've just got to prepare well for them and hope you can do the best you can against them," he said.

Despite suffering the strained quad three days before the Falcons game, Hillis hurdled over a cornerback on his first play, made a spectacular one-handed touchdown grab and chased down a defender after an interception, one that was nullified by a penalty. But he was in excruciating pain most of the game, one in which he ran only 10 times for 28 yards. He also lost a fumble on the first drive. Afterwards, he left the locker room with a pronounced limp.

"It was bluntly obvious (I aggravated it)," he said. "I just did what I could for my team and tried to produce as much as I could because I knew my team needed me."

Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll acknowledged that it was challenging, especially because Jerome Harrison managed only 6 yards on six carries. On Wednesday, Harrison was traded to the Eagles for bigger back Mike Bell.

"(Hillis) is your bell cow," said Daboll. "We were talking on the sidelines and it was 'Hey I need something here, I need a little break here,' and his rhythm probably wasn't where it needed to be. I'd like to try to get him into a flow. God willing, he's ready to roll."

Hillis said he's confident he'll be 100 percent because the injury isn't necessarily worse than before.

"Plus, I've been off it now for five days," he said. "It feels great. I've tested my limits some. It's not like I decided to not do any running."

He said the strain is unrelated to the calcified thigh issue he had in college. "That was three or four years ago, and I've always been fine," he said. "It's just not keeping hydrated, being on your legs all the time, not taking really good care of your body."

In case Hillis needs to alternate, the Browns have been working overtime to get Bell ready to go.

"I don't think it's unrealistic," Daboll said of Bell being able to contribute. "There'll be a number of plays that he can translate what he did in the past. He's a sharp guy. He's meeting with (running backs coach) Gary (Brown) as we speak and (Friday) he did pretty well not making many mental mistakes for his second practice."

Bell said he thinks he can be effective in Pittsburgh, especially in the running game.

"It's like riding a bike," he said. "I just have to make the terminology make sense to me. They've been very helpful in the passing game."

As for the Steelers' top-ranked defense, he said: "It's going to be tough, but I think we need to focus on what we do and let everything else take care of itself. When people get so caught up in 'This is the No. 1 rush defense' they've lost already."

Bell said he just has to keep his cool. "I have a tendency to get overly excited," he said.

So many good quotes and statments in this article that I don't know where to begin.

1.) "I've heard it a lot from the fans in the city how big it is, and I really want to go in there and get this win to give confidence and bring a victory back to the city," -Peyton Hillis

2.) "There's no doubt they're a good defense," said Hillis. "But we're not looking at (all the stats). They're human just like we are. They put their pants on one leg at a time and we've just got to approach it like that."

3.) The last time Hillis faced a run defense like this -- in Baltimore -- he gashed them for 144 yards and put himself on the NFL map. "You've just got to prepare well for them and hope you can do the best you can against them," he said.

4.) Despite suffering the strained quad three days before the Falcons game, Hillis hurdled over a cornerback on his first play, made a spectacular one-handed touchdown grab and chased down a defender after an interception, one that was nullified by a penalty.

5.) "(Hillis) is your bell cow," said Daboll. "We were talking on the sidelines and it was 'Hey I need something here, I need a little break here,' and his rhythm probably wasn't where it needed to be. I'd like to try to get him into a flow. God willing, he's ready to roll."

6.) Hillis said he's confident he'll be 100 percent because the injury isn't necessarily worse than before.

7.) In case Hillis needs to alternate, the Browns have been working overtime to get Bell ready to go.

8.) "There'll be a number of plays that he can translate what he did in the past. Bell is a sharp guy. He's meeting with (running backs coach) Gary (Brown) as we speak and (Friday) he did pretty well not making many mental mistakes for his second practice."

9.) Bell said he thinks he can be effective in Pittsburgh, especially in the running game.

10.) "We are going to rip off Rothlistbergers head and shit down his neck!" -Roth

So many good quotes and statments in this article that I don't know where to begin.

1.) "I've heard it a lot from the fans in the city how big it is, and I really want to go in there and get this win to give confidence and bring a victory back to the city," -Peyton Hillis

2.) "There's no doubt they're a good defense," said Hillis. "But we're not looking at (all the stats). They're human just like we are. They put their pants on one leg at a time and we've just got to approach it like that."

3.) The last time Hillis faced a run defense like this -- in Baltimore -- he gashed them for 144 yards and put himself on the NFL map. "You've just got to prepare well for them and hope you can do the best you can against them," he said.

4.) Despite suffering the strained quad three days before the Falcons game, Hillis hurdled over a cornerback on his first play, made a spectacular one-handed touchdown grab and chased down a defender after an interception, one that was nullified by a penalty.

5.) "(Hillis) is your bell cow," said Daboll. "We were talking on the sidelines and it was 'Hey I need something here, I need a little break here,' and his rhythm probably wasn't where it needed to be. I'd like to try to get him into a flow. God willing, he's ready to roll."

6.) Hillis said he's confident he'll be 100 percent because the injury isn't necessarily worse than before.

7.) In case Hillis needs to alternate, the Browns have been working overtime to get Bell ready to go.

8.) "There'll be a number of plays that he can translate what he did in the past. Bell is a sharp guy. He's meeting with (running backs coach) Gary (Brown) as we speak and (Friday) he did pretty well not making many mental mistakes for his second practice."

9.) Bell said he thinks he can be effective in Pittsburgh, especially in the running game.

10.) "We are going to rip off Rothlistbergers head and shit down his neck!" -Roth

Does #10 have any credability? Cuz if so, I think its time for me to get a Matt Roth jersey

So this ONE man (SUperman ? ) is Going to Beat The Steelers ? You might wanna Load up a Little more than That. And Running Backs routinely Beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh right ? Maybe Emmitt Smith ... Hillis ? I dont know. Sound like a Bunch of "Yip Yip " to me.

by the way The Ravens Give up 40 yrs a game More than The Steelers. And 4.2 ypc (Steelers 2.6) So Hillis hasn't played a Run Defense "Like this " yet. His Only hope is that Colt can hit a Bunch Short to medium passes to keep the Steeler D off Balance. Because they Aint Ramming him Through the Steeler D all alone. I just dont see it...

So this ONE man (SUperman ? ) is Going to Beat The Steelers ? You might wanna Load up a Little more than That. And Running Backs routinely Beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh right ? Maybe Emmitt Smith ... Hillis ? I dont know. Sound like a Bunch of "Yip Yip " to me.

by the way The Ravens Give up 40 yrs a game More than The Steelers. And 4.2 ypc (Steelers 2.6) So Hillis hasn't played a Run Defense "Like this " yet. His Only hope is that Colt can hit a Bunch Short to medium passes to keep the Steeler D off Balance. Because they Aint Ramming him Through the Steeler D all alone. I just dont see it...

Whens the last time the Steelers D got Peyton Hillis for more than 50% in a game? Whens the last time they even played him? Cmon man its like saying you are gonna shut down Boom Herron even tho u never played him before.

Whens the last time the Steelers D got Peyton Hillis for more than 50% in a game? Whens the last time they even played him? Cmon man its like saying you are gonna shut down Boom Herron even tho u never played him before.

i didnt say he was getting Shut down. I said He Needs HELP if he want to Run on the Pittsburgh D which is Better than The Ravens vs. the Run.. LOL.. He s a Nice Back I would love to have him on my team . And funny i Know Danny... he went to WArren Harding and I seen him Play all through HS. Great Kid.

I was just at the Harding Massillon Game tonite. Harding RB demond hymes ran for 346 yrds tonite in Harding win.

Check the stats for the Steeler defense. Look how many top tier backs DIDN'T beat the Steelers. They haven't allowed one over 100 in the first 4 games and I doubt they'll let one the rest of the way. I really like Peyton Hillis and Vickers for that matter but neither are going very far against the Pittsburgh defense. If they do kudos but I doubt it.

Hillis has run pretty well every week when he's healthy and last week showed a ton of guts on his part. When I see the guy run for 10 yards, limp to the sideline, take 2 plays off at most then go right back out there and run for 5 or 6 more yards... I mean wow, when was the last time you saw that in Cleveland? A player who disregards injury and his body to give his team everything he has, that's something special.

I don't know who will win this Sunday, of course I want it to be the Browns, but I told a guy at work who's been talking shit all week to not count the Browns as a gimme anymore. This game should be a battle till the end and I believe it's going to come down to a field goal or a defensive stop to decide the outcome.

GO BROWNS!

The Steelers keys to winning on Sunday:

Show up on time.

Regards...

... an'at

It may be a little more complicated than just showing up, nobody knows what colt can or will do or even how much if any leash he gets, at 1-4 i expect this OC and staff to turn up the volume in order to try and avoid being 1-5 even with our rookie under center...

The best thing this team can do for the fans this year is give us 2 victories over the squealers or at least play them so tough they feel it for the rest of the season, in more than one way...

Why not, your fan base thinks that this one guy (susBENded for 4 games for rape) is going to make the Steelers win this game.

You do know that making a lot of short passes opens up the game for the long bomb, right?

The Steelers keys to winning on Sunday:

Show up on time.

Regards...

... an'at

I Hope our Players and Coaches dont feel that way Chuckie... Or We will be deservedly Beaten` on this Board for the Next several weeks :ph34r: !!

Why not, your fan base thinks that this one guy (susBENded for 4 games for rape) is going to make the Steelers win this game.

You do know that making a lot of short passes opens up the game for the long bomb, right?

No actually They are thinking Our Defense ... Running Game... and Passing Game are going to Win this game. And ANY GIVEN SUNDAY Applies... so Who Cares what some guys who are here to Get your Panties all bunched up has to say about it. REAL Fans Know... the Browns haven't went easily YET this yr. NO Reason to think they will tomorrow. On PAPER....Pittsburgh Defense is Better... Offense is Better... Cleveland Special Teams are better... So the rest is on the Coaching and Breaks ....We Will See.

Archived