THE BROWNS BOARD

Never Thought I Would Say This: Start Colt

KTOWNBROWN

I didnt want Colt to see the field this entire season. I actually doubted if he had the arm strength to succeed in this league anyway, and would have been ok if we drafted a QB in the first round.

HOWEVER, Colt has impressed me today.

We aren't making the playoffs this season, so why not give him a chance.

Then we can go out and get him A.J. Green or Julio Jones in the draft this year.

I agree. QB'ing this team who has not a single receiver besides Stuckey, that was a heck of a performance.

Let the Colt McCoy era begin ... that was some fine QB'ing. Now get the kid a #1 receiver and while you are at it, a #2 too.

I agree. QB'ing this team who has not a single receiver besides Stuckey, that was a heck of a performance.

Let the Colt McCoy era begin ... that was some fine QB'ing. Now get the kid a #1 receiver and while you are at it, a #2 too.

I agree. McCoy looked damn good for a rookie against the Steeler Defense. This kid has guts and an accurate arm. They blitzed the hell out of him and he stood tough. I now know we don't need to worry about the QB in next years draft.

Right on the money Stan, you lose your #1 and 2 receivers that we do have and he still performs pretty damn well, both interceptions weren't that bad either, I say start him against the Saints and at least that give you time to get Wallace and Delholmme back to full fitness after the bye week, and the front office can then make the headache decision as to whom to play.

I liked what i seen in colt...he is the real deal and a leader, i am for starting him as well..

Better to lose now with our future QB in training than to lose with a lifetime backup and a has been like jake...

McCoy has the tools now lets develop them with ratty at his back!

I don't think there is a decision. He played better than Wallace or Delhome, without #1 and #2 WRs and against a much tougher D, with his first start.

He gives us the best chance to win, rookie or not. Keep Wallace as backup and dump the old fart Delhome.

He must start against the Saints after that performance, and imo the rest of the year.

I agree that Colt should start vs. the Saints, but I wouldn't automatically make him the starter for the rest of the year. We will see how next week goes.

I am excited to see what Colt can do in his 2nd start. The playcalling was extremely conservative in the first 3 quarters of the game today. If Daboll lets Colt be a little more aggressive throughout the whole game, we just might be able to defeat the defending champs for the 3rd year in a row..

I couldnt agree more and WOW was i wrong about McCoy I didn't really think the guy had the arm strength to chuck it and he proved me wrong. He was poised and extremely accurate. Start him for the season so there is no doubt in our minds wether or not we use that first round pick on one of the QB college studs. Id also go out on a limb and see if we can get Vincent Jackson Id give up a 2nd rounder for him if hes willing to sign a LTC. Its sad when our TE Moore is the go to WR on deep plays. We need a true 1 WR that can jump ala Jackson.

Im going be eating crow on this whole McCoy thing from a lot of folks lol.

Guest birddog1
I agree. McCoy looked damn good for a rookie against the Steeler Defense. This kid has guts and an accurate arm. They blitzed the hell out of him and he stood tough. I now know we don't need to worry about the QB in next years draft.

I agree with your agreement. :D This was baptism by fire. He still made some rookie mistakes but against this defense I was pleasantly surprised. He has definitely earned the opportunity to show what he can do for the rest of the year. At the very minimum we know what we have going into the draft next year. If he does well then we can focus on other areas of need.

I've watched The Colt play over 40 games. I will say that you saw some of his best traits today:

- Accuracy. Yes, there were a couple of throws into coverage but they were right there for his receiver to make a play on. The throw to Moore down the sideline is a throw that none of the last four Browns' starters could make. I would have liked to see a better throw on the slant but then again, he had two passes dropped that would've converted 3rd down.

- Athleticism. He has better wheels than people give him credit for. I don't know if he bailed too early on some plays but the TD to Watson was a great example of what he can do. He seemed at least as elusive as Seneca.

-Intelligence. With the exception of the dropped interception intended for Robiskie, I didn't think he looked all that confused out there. He made reasonably good decisions.

- Toughness. He stood in there and delivered the football and when he took shots he kept on going. The stage did not overwhelm him.

I agree that you can't say he's the starter the rest of the way but don't be surprised if he earns it. He looked better than Delhomme.

I've watched The Colt play over 40 games. I will say that you saw some of his best traits today:

- Accuracy. Yes, there were a couple of throws into coverage but they were right there for his receiver to make a play on. The throw to Moore down the sideline is a throw that none of the last four Browns' starters could make. I would have liked to see a better throw on the slant but then again, he had two passes dropped that would've converted 3rd down.

- Athleticism. He has better wheels than people give him credit for. I don't know if he bailed too early on some plays but the TD to Watson was a great example of what he can do. He seemed at least as elusive as Seneca.

-Intelligence. With the exception of the dropped interception intended for Robiskie, I didn't think he looked all that confused out there. He made reasonably good decisions.

- Toughness. He stood in there and delivered the football and when he took shots he kept on going. The stage did not overwhelm him.

I agree that you can't say he's the starter the rest of the way but don't be surprised if he earns it. He looked better than Delhomme.

Very salient points; I say go with the young man

Hello Browns fans from a Texas Longhorn fan.

I want you guys to know you've got yourself a great young quarterback.

I was a serious doubter when he took the reins from Vince Young back in 2006. I figured he was just going to hold down the position for short time before Mack Brown and company found themselves a high-value recruit to take his place.

Next thing I knew the kid was leading the team like he was born to the position and reeling off win after win until he became Texas' all time winning quarterback.

Give the kid a chance. You'll be glad you did.

I didnt want Colt to see the field this entire season. I actually doubted if he had the arm strength to succeed in this league anyway, and would have been ok if we drafted a QB in the first round.

HOWEVER, Colt has impressed me today.

We aren't making the playoffs this season, so why not give him a chance.

Then we can go out and get him A.J. Green or Julio Jones in the draft this year.

Oh really he impressed you today..............hmmmmmmmmmmmm............ why were not impressed before.................

The Guy is a a player and he proved it in college and now yesterday............and you stand tall with ......angst.........and now aprroval

sounds more hypocrite than a football mind

Go Colt a winner

Oh really he impressed you today..............hmmmmmmmmmmmm............ why were not impressed before.................

The Guy is a a player and he proved it in college and now yesterday............and you stand tall with ......angst.........and now aprroval

sounds more hypocrite than a football mind

Go Colt a winner

I hate everything you say.

Hello Browns fans from a Texas Longhorn fan.

I want you guys to know you've got yourself a great young quarterback.

I was a serious doubter when he took the reins from Vince Young back in 2006. I figured he was just going to hold down the position for short time before Mack Brown and company found themselves a high-value recruit to take his place.

Next thing I knew the kid was leading the team like he was born to the position and reeling off win after win until he became Texas' all time winning quarterback.

Give the kid a chance. You'll be glad you did.

I don't know. I think you just gave him the kiss of death.

he played really well considering it was his first game ever, with no receivers, against Pittsburgh at heinz

But remember, theres no film of him out there, so we cant crown him yet, remember the mistake we made with DA

Derek Anderson always completed 58% percent of his passes, and what was the percentage of McCoy's? 69.5 % completion. That's like Tom Brady shit there or dare I say Drew Brees like...

Derek Anderson always completed 58% percent of his passes, and what was the percentage of McCoy's? 69.5 % completion. That's like Tom Brady shit there or dare I say Drew Brees like...

I hate to make those comparisons but I think that the whole package of what you saw from him yesterday is admittedly raw but also more well-rounded than any recent Browns starter. Some of the "innate QB things" that Tomlin referenced were things like his ability to feel the pass rush and to make good decisions and be a leader. I never got the sense that #3 or #10 last year were able to do all of those things.

Archived