THE BROWNS BOARD

FINALLY

rich4eagle

Well, we finally have a QB, stick behind Colt and let him get it........and great things will come.................

He is a QB and will make plays............and showed that he HAS IT yesterday

Now all we need is real RB's and WR's to support him

Winners win and losers lose and the QB position is of utmost importance

he showed pocket presence, escapability, reading d's, and accurate passing, and of course leadership

Those are the things that make a franchise QB

Change the name of the Dawg Pound ....YOU GUESS IT ......nothing can be worse than what it is now.......a misnomer and misguided

meanwhile the D played great...............salutes to Mangini

Well, we finally have a QB, stick behind Colt and let him get it........and great things will come.................

He is a QB and will make plays............and showed that he HAS IT yesterday

Now all we need is real RB's and WR's to support him

Winners win and losers lose and the QB position is of utmost importance

he showed pocket presence, escapability, reading d's, and accurate passing, and of course leadership

Those are the things that make a franchise QB

Change the name of the Dawg Pound ....YOU GUESS IT ......nothing can be worse than what it is now.......a misnomer and misguided

meanwhile the D played great...............salutes to Mangini

I liked Colt McCoy before you.

Zombo

I liked Colt McCoy before you.

Zombo

Sorry buddy, but I wanted him all the time and made that clear..................and would not have waited till round three.......but you keep spewing ......the twerps eat up the spewing

anyways good times are coming.............now that we have a dime a dozen OLINE...........and a franchise QB..........and useless WR's and one overachieving RB...........

but a franchise QB......over time with astute management makes all the dumb stuff seem smart

Some say he’s a ninja, rumor has it he’s Superman,

Hes got the heart of a lion, still hes as gentle as old Peter Pan,

All you Hatfields better beware, I heard he’s stronger than a Kodiak bear,

He’s your real deal, he’s no decoy, he’s still his mama’s little pride and joy.

Hey, when I grow up I wanna be just like Colt McCoy,

He’s the true gun-slinging inspiration to every small town country boy,

Having cool friends like Jordan Shipley,

(Well ain’t no singers singin’ songs about me)

Well when I grow up I wanna be just like Colt McCoy.

Everybody and their dog is doggin’ on the little quarterback from Jim Ned,

Too short too slow and way too skinny, its what the headlines read.

So he hit the weights, protein shakes, and lord behold, he started to grow,

Now he’s gettin’ sick and tired of people getting fired up, for rubbing elbows with Tim Tebow.

He’s the true gun-slinging inspiration to every small town country boy,

Having cool friends like Jordan Shipley,

There’s a new sheriff in town,

Shaking hands and kissing babies,

Throwing lazer beam touchdowns.

He’s the straight shootin’ gun inspiration to every small town country boy,

I’d have cool friends like Jordan Shipley,

We might have a future sheriff in town but we need to be sure before the draft

sure of what that we are dismal..........otherwise.............stick with this gambit.......get some WR's and RB's and impact players on D and let it play out

ten years of garbage and you want to be sure now.............oh my?

I want the fastest, surest way to the superbowl. ASSUMING that colt is the guy after one game is what we have done in the past. We ASSUMED that we had a great QB in Couch, we ASSUMED holcomb would rather be a starter here thna a backup, we ASSUMED that Anderson/Quinn were as good as their best games. We have done a lot of ASSUMING in the past 10+ years and where has it put us?

I want the fastest, surest way to the superbowl. ASSUMING that colt is the guy after one game is what we have done in the past. We ASSUMED that we had a great QB in Couch, we ASSUMED holcomb would rather be a starter here thna a backup, we ASSUMED that Anderson/Quinn were as good as their best games. We have done a lot of ASSUMING in the past 10+ years and where has it put us?

Somebody assumed Couch, NOT ME, somebody loved Butch and Warren and Brown and Winslow, not me, somebody assumed IN SAVAGE WE TRUST NOT ME, somebody went bonkers over getting FAT TED and TAP DANCER Lewis NOT ME. somebody loved Quinn NOT Me.......somebody was all positive while I was negative......I WUZ RIGHT............

now I am positive and said what we need to do..............go ahead ...........assume I am wrong after being right for ten years

Bottom line once again we finally have a Qb and competent management.........I hope they understand OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS and fix the glaring absence of skilled offensive players.....I think they do and I think they will fix it and I think we are vastly upside NOW

go see Secretariat and see how that colt colt be stopped by defense

Everyone knows that assuming makes an ASS of U and ME.

I would use caution in over-interpreting what Colt did yesterday. I won't say that I'm not giddy inside because he showed me a lot but I'd like to see that more than just once. Deep down, I think he's going to be the man but to quote Bill Parcells "Let's not reserve a bust for him in Canton just yet...".

Colt did show us many things that I loved about him at Texas and I won't say it was a mirage because it wasn't. I am quietly curious to see what he does from here. I wouldn't call New Orleans a bad defense but they aren't "Steeler Good". They had trouble with Carolina. The 4-3 could be easier for him to read. We will know more once we see him follow it up. The Saints are a great team but they can be had if the Browns bring their "A" game.

Colt is a winner. He proved that way before yesterday and thats why the coaches didnt want him playing this year so he could study the pro game, however he looks more ready than anyone the Browns have put on the field in 10 years. I can tell already that I am going to hate this kid as much as I hated Kosar.

Do you guys think you should sit Colt when Jake or Seneca comes back or continue to start him?

Colt is a winner. He proved that way before yesterday and thats why the coaches didnt want him playing this year so he could study the pro game, however he looks more ready than anyone the Browns have put on the field in 10 years. I can tell already that I am going to hate this kid as much as I hated Kosar.

Do you guys think you should sit Colt when Jake or Seneca comes back or continue to start him?

I still think they should take it slow with him. We really don't want to make the Tim Couch mistake and put him in too prematurely and ruin his career.....though with McCoy, he has one big advantage that Tim Couch never had: a decent offensive line. TC was thrown to the wolves. McCoy, right now, has a better offensive line than any Tim Couch ever played with in his careeer.

On the other hand, a very few QBs were just ready to go their rookie year:

Take Bernie Kosar. He needed only a half a season of sitting behind Gary Danielson. But he had a good offensive line and an outstanding running game his rookie year that had 2 1000 yard rushers.

Take Ben R. He had the games best defense and one of the games best running games when he came in. All he had to do was hand off, throw a few short passes, not make mistakes and get out of the way.

Dan Marino was obviously the ultimate exception. He came out firing like none of the others.

Sam Bradford seems to obviously be doing fairly well. He has led that "bad" team from last year to a .500 record so far. Don't know if it can continue.

What other rookies came in and seemed fairly ready to go?

I would use caution in over-interpreting what Colt did yesterday. I won't say that I'm not giddy inside because he showed me a lot but I'd like to see that more than just once. Deep down, I think he's going to be the man but to quote Bill Parcells "Let's not reserve a bust for him in Canton just yet...".

Hey, I've got busted in Canton before!! If you count a speeding ticket as busted.

Colt did show us many things that I loved about him at Texas and I won't say it was a mirage because it wasn't. I am quietly curious to see what he does from here. I wouldn't call New Orleans a bad defense but they aren't "Steeler Good". They had trouble with Carolina. The 4-3 could be easier for him to read. We will know more once we see him follow it up. The Saints are a great team but they can be had if the Browns bring their "A" game.

They were good enough to be called "Champions".

I still think they should take it slow with him. We really don't want to make the Tim Couch mistake and put him in too prematurely and ruin his career.....though with McCoy, he has one big advantage that Tim Couch never had: a decent offensive line. TC was thrown to the wolves. McCoy, right now, has a better offensive line than any Tim Couch ever played with in his careeer.

Take Bernie Kosar. He needed only a half a season of sitting behind Gary Danielson. But he had a good offensive line and an outstanding running game his rookie year that had 2 1000 yard rushers.

Take Ben R. He had the games best defense and one of the games best running games when he came in. All he had to do was hand off, throw a few short passes, not make mistakes and get out of the way.

Dan Marino was obviously the ultimate exception. He came out firing like none of the others.

Sam Bradford seems to obviously be doing fairly well. He has led that "bad" team from last year to a .500 record so far. Don't know if it can continue.

Joe Flacco did well, but it was similar to Ben's rookie year. Tim Couch also had the weight of the world on his shoulders as well... wonder how good he may have been if he was drafted this past year?

Joe Flacco did well, but it was similar to Ben's rookie year. Tim Couch also had the weight of the world on his shoulders as well... wonder how good he may have been if he was drafted this past year?

I thought Flacco came in about halfway through his rookie year? No?

The deal with Couch is simply the demonstration of how backward the thinking has been with the Browns since the Lerner family purchasedd the franchise in 1999. Instead of doing what the Ravens and Steelers did....build up your defense, your O-line and your running game...THEN bring in that QB as the last piece of the puzzle, they wanted to make a splash and bring in the QB as the first piece of the puzzle. It just didn't work. No OL, no running, bad defense.

The real question with him is how good could he have been had he been taken by say the Eagles or someone rather than the Browns. And for the Browns, they should have probably traded down for multiple picks and selecte O-line and D-linemen, and left the QBing up to veterans.

The mistake with Tim Couch was drafting a guy with no pocket presence, no reading ability, and no concept of making first downs.................

comparing him to Colt is an insult to Colt

I thought Flacco came in about halfway through his rookie year? No?

The deal with Couch is simply the demonstration of how backward the thinking has been with the Browns since the Lerner family purchasedd the franchise in 1999. Instead of doing what the Ravens and Steelers did....build up your defense, your O-line and your running game...THEN bring in that QB as the last piece of the puzzle, they wanted to make a splash and bring in the QB as the first piece of the puzzle. It just didn't work. No OL, no running, bad defense.

The real question with him is how good could he have been had he been taken by say the Eagles or someone rather than the Browns. And for the Browns, they should have probably traded down for multiple picks and selecte O-line and D-linemen, and left the QBing up to veterans.

Flacco started his rookie year from game 1. he was to sit but Troy Smith got hurt prior to the reg season so Flacco came in....

Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

Mike

The mistake with Tim Couch was drafting a guy with no pocket presence, no reading ability, and no concept of making first downs.................

comparing him to Colt is an insult to Colt

Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation.

Couch was a victim of having NOTHING around him (other than KJ). Colt has a line, BUT could be the victim of WR not getting open or making adjustments (coverage sacks, interceptions, declining confidence, etc). Yes, we've seen a lot of promise in Colt, but if the veterans are able to play, maybe they should finish out the year & let's get him the receivers he needs to reach his full potential. I think he'll be the GUY to lead us, but let's make sure he has viable skill players in place.

Mike

And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

And don't forget, aside from the draft, WRs are always available in Free Agency....or even trade. There is always some loudmouth WR wanting to be the #1 man wherever he goes. Here, any of them could accomplish that.

Which I why I was surprised that AJ Smith was never linked to us for a trade for Vincent Jackson (not that we would want a head case like him).

dont forget Couch stank..........get over that stupidity of making excuses for him

Well, my learned assessment of him is somewhat different than yours. The one thing Couch has done that no other Browns QB has done since "the return" in 1999: take the Browns to the playoffs.

I think he could have been fine under a more stable situation

If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

Colt did a great job against the Steelers. But, I want to wait to see how he does against a defense that has had time to study last weeks tape of him playing and put together a game plan against him. If he is still able to perform this week like last, then I will feel more confident in him being our new man. For now I still think it is up in the air.

If my memory serves me correct! In case you forgot Kelly Holcomb played down the stretch that year and I believe in the win against Atlanta and no 86 the hated one won two games with miracle TD's........Couch was just along for the ride.

I would not be giddy about his play in a 9-7 season either.

Couch just was never a good QB, little pocket presence and quick to go dump off resulting in 3rd and two.

Colt showed more pocket presence yesterday than Couch did in any game ever and damn near every QB playing for ten years

Lets hope he keeps playing and getting better

I agree, but it has to be more than a game more.

That isn't a knock on Colt by any means.....I just recall how people were proclaiming Ben Gay one of the leagues next great backs.

So far, so good, but I'll take it a step at a time.....both in his play and the way I view/grade him.

We also shouldn't forget that Eric Zeire (or however you spell it) had a great start against the Bengals once and we thought he was the QB of the future...how'd that turn out for everyone?

I think Colt is a whole lot better than Zeire but we shouldn't call him the QB of the future just yet.

Archived