THE BROWNS BOARD

How tall is McCoy

The Gipper

I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.

One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?

I was looking up some height weight stats in order to compare Colt McCoy to another famous UT Longhorn QB, Bobby Layne, who took the Detroit Lions to 3 NFL Titles in the 50s. Layne was 6'1" 210 pounds. So then I google McCoy, and I am finding that his height in various places claims all sorts of things.

One says that he is 6'1 210. Others that he is 6'2" 215. Some even have him listed at 6'3". The Browns official roster lists him at 6'1" 216. So, what is right?

The Browns roster comes from information they do every year for physicals. I would trust that information.

The Browns roster comes from information they do every year for physicals. I would trust that information.

OK, so figure this out. The following QBs were all 6'1" or shorter:

Bobby Layne

Len Dawson

Bob Griese

Bart Starr

Norm Van Brocklin

Joe Montana

John Unitas

Otto Graham

Y.A. Tittle

Bob Waterfield

Sonny Jurgenson

Fran Tarkenton

all in the Hall of Fame.

Is that the optimum height for a QB these days? Conventional wisdom say: Probably not. More recent HOF QBs like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Fouts, Moon were 6'3" or better. Namath and Steve Young were 6'2"

But, I will take a 6'1" guy that can play over a 6'6" guy that can't.

OK, so figure this out. The following QBs were all 6'1" or shorter:

Bobby Layne

Len Dawson

Bob Griese

Bart Starr

Norm Van Brocklin

Joe Montana

John Unitas

Otto Graham

Y.A. Tittle

Bob Waterfield

Sonny Jurgenson

Fran Tarkenton

all in the Hall of Fame.

Is that the optimum height for a QB these days? Conventional wisdom say: Probably not. More recent HOF QBs like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Fouts, Moon were 6'3" or better. Namath and Steve Young were 6'2"

But, I will take a 6'1" guy that can play over a 6'6" guy that can't.

I think it is all random. If you are a good, smart QB, you will have success regardless of height.

Colt is taller than Drew Brees. I think I saw an official report a while back that listed him at 6'1" even. The optimal height they go for (per a scout that I've met) is 6'2"-6'4". Anything below and they worry about the ability to see the field. The more you get above that there are apparently diminishing returns in terms of athleticism, footwork, etc.

I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.

What's funny about this is that so do QBs 6'6' & taller as they tend to release shorter passes on a "downward" trajectory. Remember how many DA got batted down?...most I have ever seen for a Brown's QB.

I think a short QBs biggest challenge is vision.

Mike

I think that the only down fall of someone being around 6'1" is that they tend to get more balls swatted down by D-Linemen. I know that Bree's gets a more than average amount of balls swatted down.

I think you would be surprised by how few Brees passes get batted down.

Drew Brees is six foot (has been questioned) and we all know what he can do. I would say, just relax, Browns' fans. If Colt is the future his height won't be a factor.

Yup, and as I pointed out in another thread- to my surprise, Bret Favre is 6'2".

What's funny about this is that so do QBs 6'6' & taller as they tend to release shorter passes on a "downward" trajectory. Remember how many DA got batted down?...most I have ever seen for a Brown's QB.

I think a short QBs biggest challenge is vision.

Mike

Good point. I've seen a number of Bernie Kosar's passes batted down as well back in the day, and he was like 6' 5".

He was measured 6'1" at the combine. That stuff is usually dead-on.

His height is immaterial. He learned to play at that height in college and was very successful and accurate. He's 6'1" and I think Ms. Colt is 6'0".

Getting passes knocked down.I think a defensive player even shorter than the qb can knock down a pass -- the defensive player is coming in with his arms raised making him taller than he would be shown in anything showing his height.

Don't worry about McCoy's height. He's ok +.

He's two inches shorter than Brady Quinn and 5 inches shorter than Derek Anderson but the same height at Brian Sipe.

I say he must be the perfect height.

Zombo

--This franchise needs another Sipe

Archived