THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gipper: Project For You

TheClevelandSound

Since you are Mr. Stats and Figures, I have always wondered something. How does an NFL players Alma Mater effect their playing on the next day? Do NFL players tend to play better if their former college wins the day prior? Maybe worse? Their has to be some statistical data which answers my questions.

Thanks!

Since you are Mr. Stats and Figures, I have always wondered something. How does an NFL players Alma Mater effect their playing on the next day? Do NFL players tend to play better if their former college wins the day prior? Maybe worse? Their has to be some statistical data which answers my questions.

Thanks!

Well, you know, son, this Board is kinda like the Army: if you have a bright idea then YOU are given the assignment to see it through. I assign the duty of coming up with the statistics you are looking for to....you.

I don't have the time to do a complete evaluation of every player to come out of college, but for what it's worth, I'd collaborate with other members to make this possible. Maybe each person can handle a certain conference? I'm not well known here, so feel free to take my offer with a grain of salt, but things like this really interest me. I want to see what kind of correlation a players conference and team record have on their success as a whole, adjusted for their draft slot even if possible.

I don't have the time to do a complete evaluation of every player to come out of college, but for what it's worth, I'd collaborate with other members to make this possible. Maybe each person can handle a certain conference? I'm not well known here, so feel free to take my offer with a grain of salt, but things like this really interest me. I want to see what kind of correlation a players conference and team record have on their success as a whole, adjusted for their draft slot even if possible.

I am not sure of the parameters of this "study" we are talking about. Are we talking about the career success of players from various teams or conferences?

Or, as I understood it, CleveSound wanted to know "how does an NFL player come out and play the day after his college team has played". I took it to mean that he felt that say, if an NFL players alma mater lost a tough game the day before that on the followind Sunday that player may "have the blues" or some such, thus causing him to play less than optimum. Or maybe it would make that player angry and he would come out on Sunday and play lights out.

I don't think for one minute that such a thing can be quantified.

On the other hand, if he is asking "how do the conferences rate in terms of career success", well, that can be done somewhat. First check out this:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/colleges.aspx

This is the HOF website section that tells you where all HOFers went to college. From here it would be easy to accumulate which school/conference the most HOFers come from. For schools, it is already done:

Southern California (11)

Notre Dame (10)

Michigan (8)

Alabama (7)

Ohio State (7)

Syracuse (7)

Illinois (6)

Minnesota (6)

Oregon (6)

Pittsburgh (6

Alternatively, you can look here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/

This will tell you how many All Pros or Pro Bowlers came from the various colleges, though I suspect if such were accumulated the top schools list would look very similar to the one above.

But, if one was to ask "how does a player play on Sunday after his college team loses" that would never be quantifiable...as I would doubt that it would have any effect.

Archived