THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt McCoy to start against the 'Aints'

ATENEARS

Rookie QB McCoy Back in the Saddle Again

TOM WITHERS

The Associated Press

3:21 PM EDT, October 20, 2010

Advertisement

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Steelers one week. Super Bowl champions the next. Cleveland Browns rookie quarterback Colt McCoy's baptism in the NFL isn't getting any easier. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Coming off his impressive debut last week in Pittsburgh, McCoy knows he still has a lot to improve upon as he prepares for his second straight start on Sunday at New Orleans. With Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace still out with ankle injuries, McCoy has been thrust into the lineup sooner than expected.

There was concern that he would be devoured by Pittsburgh's blitzes last week, but McCoy showed poise, toughness and enough promise to make the Browns believe he could be their quarterback of the future.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I can tell yall this Colt AINT winning this week...we will throw looks he has never seen on D...and the Champs have had a week to prepare for him...Colt will be good ..but not for a few years....but if the Browns coaching staff is smart they keep him in...He will get this team a few wins here and there...The pressure this week will be too much...

Saints 34

Stains 10

I can tell yall this Colt AINT winning this week...we will throw looks he has never seen on D...and the Champs have had a week to prepare for him...Colt will be good ..but not for a few years....but if the Browns coaching staff is smart they keep him in...He will get this team a few wins here and there...The pressure this week will be too much...

Saints 34

Stains 10

So you're telling me that you've got a better defense than the Steelers?

Granted, your passing defense is better than theirs. But they give up less points, and they have the best rushing defense in the league. Dick LeBeau has forgotten more about running a defense than Gregg Williams knows. If Colt can handle the LeBeau zone blitz, I'm sure he won't be too troubled by whatever you throw at him.

I honestly did not want to see McCoy play at all this year but I think the injury bug that is allowing him to start is a good thing.

I don't know if McCoy will be a winner or a loser but I think he gets it. I think this kid has tremendous upside and I hope he gets the start every week till the end of the season.

The "pressure" of starting your first NFL start, away, against your team's arch rival... who just so happens to have the best defense in the NFL. Yeah I dont think the Saints are going to be "pressure" for the guy.

Drew Brees may beat us, but I think Colt will handle the game well.

Colt did a hell of a job for his first ever NFL game to be starting at a away game at the home of our most hated rival and put up decent stats for a green rookie. After that kind of start you can see that the more tested he becomes the more we will see his potential. You rock McCoy!

Colt did a hell of a job for his first ever NFL game to be starting at a away game at the home of our most hated rival and put up decent stats for a green rookie. After that kind of start you can see that the more tested he becomes the more we will see his potential. You rock McCoy!

I actually like Colt McCoy and think he is going to be a very good QB for you guys. Our secondary has been hit hard by injuries, which will benefit your team but Malcolm Jenkins has been doing a good job as FS. That said - Darren Sharper may be back for this game and if he is in anyway ready to go, he will eat rookie QB's for breakfast most of the time. The big question is IF he is ready.

You may also see a little more sleepy Brees than normal, since he became the father of his second son only 2 days ago LOL ...

Posers 3

Browns 28

Fixed.

I actually like Colt McCoy and think he is going to be a very good QB for you guys. Our secondary has been hit hard by injuries, which will benefit your team but Malcolm Jenkins has been doing a good job as FS. That said - Darren Sharper may be back for this game and if he is in anyway ready to go, he will eat rookie QB's for breakfast most of the time. The big question is IF he is ready.

You may also see a little more sleepy Brees than normal, since he became the father of his second son only 2 days ago LOL ...

Congrats to Brees! He is a stand up guy. Question? I noticed that the Saints don't seem to have the offensive firepower that they had last year. Just wondering if Reggie Bush being injured has been a factor in that? I'm not expecting the Browns to win Sunday. But then again, any given Sunday. Honestly, I want to see if McCoy can build on last weeks game, and continue to grow. I like what I see, and I like his attitude.

Congrats to Brees! He is a stand up guy. Question? I noticed that the Saints don't seem to have the offensive firepower that they had last year. Just wondering if Reggie Bush being injured has been a factor in that? I'm not expecting the Browns to win Sunday. But then again, any given Sunday. Honestly, I want to see if McCoy can build on last weeks game, and continue to grow. I like what I see, and I like his attitude.

Bush is missed ..but we have a rookie back Chris Ivory.. that is running real hard and when P.T and Bush come back which will be soon...we will have one of the best backfields in the league..

Yeah - the running back situation has been plain awful. After last season the team let Mike Bell leave for Philly because they knew they had someone better with Lynell Hamilton and a young promising project in undrafted rookie Chris Ivory. Then Hamilton goes down in the pre-season and gets put on IR, then Reggie breaks his leg, and PT gets the dreaded high ankle sprain. So now the Saints backfield was Ivory, Betts (resigned when the injuries started) and recently aquired Julius Jones who has been on the team less than 2 weeks. Losing Reggie had a bigger impact than most would think. Besides being a good RB AND WR (Which helps keep opponent D# guessing - Is Reggie on the field as a WR or a RB ? ), Reggie is also a very good blocker on passing downs and have helped keep Drew clean. Ivory, who has suddenly been thrown into the fire as the #1 RB is a very inexperienced blocker, and that has forced the o-line to make certain adjustments. Coupled with some injuries on the line, some unexplained drops by otherwise surehanded receivers and #9 maybe being a tad distracted (His wife were ordered to observer semi-bedrest 5 weeks ago because there were fear of a premature birth) and you have an offense that sputtered a bit in the first five games.

Saints 34

Stains 10

Like your other poster said- your defensive backfield has been hit hard by injuries. Ivory (I saw the clips) is good I'll grant you, and Brees is great.

I doubt you'll be able to put up 34 on the Browns though.

Saints 34

Stains 10

Any given sunday any given nfl team can beat any other nfl team, oops wait a minute..Any given sunday any given nfl team can beat any other nfl team unless your the cleveland browns, even then exceptions will on occasion apply...

Aints goin anywherz 27

Mangini's Frownin Clowns 17

Mangini lover: hey it was a competitive game 27-17..

Aints fan: I reckon it was in the last 10 minutes of the game when the saints went prevent and felt a little sympathy for y'alls fans and let ya get dem 2 touchdowns..

Saints 34

Stains 10

Perhaps someone else mentioned this, but the most brilliant defensive mind in football is Dick LeBeau, and Colt just faced his defense last week and stood up reasonably well. And there is nothing like the pressure of playing a Browns/Steelers game for a Browns player.

So, I know you are all hot on yourselves, but don't for a minute think that just because y'all think you are all that great that you are all that great.

Any given sunday any given nfl team can beat any other nfl team, oops wait a minute..Any given sunday any given nfl team can beat any other nfl team unless your the cleveland browns, even then exceptions will on occasion apply...

Aints goin anywherz 27

Mangini's Frownin Clowns 17

Mangini lover: hey it was a competitive game 27-17..

Aints fan: I reckon it was in the last 10 minutes of the game when the saints went prevent and felt a little sympathy for y'alls fans and let ya get dem 2 touchdowns..

Clowns?!! Really?!! You are officially not a browns fan anymore.. your hatred of Mangini has turned you to the darkside..

Yeah Brees is a standup guy we are pretty lucky to have him. Im sure he would thank you. On the other hand I think your pretty lucky to have Colt. He really seems like a good kid, and his ability was extremely underrated by the draft. I have watched Colt for awhile and he has the character,work ethic, accuracy, and brain power of a young Brees. I wouldn't worry about him getting hurt , he needs to play and looks very impressive, as I thought he would. I wanted the Saints to draft him, but I knew we wouldn't because hes not going to sit on the bench for 4 years.

As to your question. Reggie was in on the games that we have not have the firepower from last year , so I would say hes a non-factor. He was just allowing us to win by an inch, but the firepower was not there. As soon as Reggie and PT had injury problems we started losing that inch, and it cost us a couple games.

If your asking where is the firepower from last year? Its still on the 53 man roster. The reason we think that the firepower hasnt shown up is our OL fell from #1-2 in the NFL to #20. This killed the long ball and is responsible for our bad running game. Saint have had the #1 offense for 4 years, and the main reason was our OL was always #1-5 in the NFL. Now Brees is hurried and people are not blocked. We dont know the reason for this huge difference. Our defense actually got better from last year.

granted we play you with 19 on the injury list of a 53 man roster, but our 2nd string is pretty solid, Ivory and other have shown that. I know you guys are pretty banged up too so it should be a good game. Give our love to fujita, we just couldnt afford him, hes a good player and great guy.

We wish you all a safe and fun Halloween.

Saints fan is there any truth to the rumor that the paper bags you use to use in the 80s are now used to put over your wifes head when you have sex with them.

Saints are gay, katrina was gods doing. Learn to swim ahole

Remember Saints fans this is their forum and they can say what they like. As inappropriate as this is, its not worth a response.

Saints fan is there any truth to the rumor that the paper bags you use to use in the 80s are now used for the Cleveland Cliffords?

Saints are awsome katrina terrible. we will be winners like yall oneday....i hate our coach

Fixed it for ya A-HOLE

Remember Saints fans this is their forum and they can say what they like. As inappropriate as this is, its not worth a response.

Not really- you guys have been cool- sorry about the jerk- and his comments.

You guys take things too seriously. After the rangers beat the yankees I prayed the plane crashed.

Do you really think I woud ever want anything like that to happen. I say things that are taboo for reaction.

Calling me names doesn't bother me, cause you don't know me.

Saints are a cool team, sean peyton great coach, drew brees is awesome. Even with his comb over

Thanks, we just want to talk ball, and respect your city and team. I hope thats understood. We are very interested in your OL and RB position. Most saints know colt, hes good.

OL? We're pretty good there. At least on the left side. Joe Thomas is one of the top left tackles in the game. Made the Pro Bowl every year he's been in the league. Steinback is solid at guard, and former first round pick Alex Mack has lived up to his draft status @ center. Right side is another story Porkchop Womack is getting old- and Tony Pashos the starting RT was just put on IR, his backup "Turnstile" St Clair is hurting, and God knows who we're going to suit up @ that position tomorrow. It would help immensely if Shaun Lauvao our third round pick this year is healthy enough to play RG- he's been out for weeks with a high ankle sprain (looked real good in pre season) that would slide Womack over to RT.

RB begins and ends with Peyton Hillis. If healthy the guy is a bruiser- (which is in question for tomorrow) and has decent hands out of the backfield on top of it. More than a few comparisons to John Riggins. Absolutely stole him from the Broncos for now third stringer Brady Quinn. Recently acquired Mike Bell (for the departed a stiff breeze will knock me down Jerome Harrison) is still learning the offense but is similar in style. James Davis is a fast back, but is buried on the bench, and probably won't see more than a carry or two. Lawrence Vickers is a bruising blocking fullback who also gets a few carries. In goal line situations, look for Vickers to lead block for Hillis- and buckle up your chinstraps.

Saints 34

Stains 10

well your scores were right just a bit backwards

Archived